Tightenings at 23/24 weeks :-(

MemmaJ

Reaction score
I have a history of premature labour/delivery - my first pregnancy (twins) I started tightening/contracting at 27+1 and delivered at 27+3 (they are now healthy 12 year olds so all turned out fine).

Second pregnancy was 10 years later, but I started having tightenings at 27 weeks. With my history, I panicked because it felt the same - so was seen at the hospital; had some tests/examinations etc and all was fine, so went home with instructions to come straight back if it got worse as I'm 'high risk' for preterm delivery again.
It never did get 'worse' but these regular, painful tightenings went on every day (usually just in the evenings) until I went into labour at 37 weeks.

This time they've started even earlier :-(
I went into hospital after a small bleed a couple of days ago (at 24+1), and when they saw/felt that I was also tightening quite frequently and strongly, they wanted to keep me in and give me steroid injections etc incase of delivery.
Even though my cervix wasn't dilating, the consultant thought my tightenings were significant enough to be treated as 'threatened pre-term labour'.
They had started a couple of days previously but I didnt phon or go in because I knew what they were from last time - and I'd never have even gone in about them this time; I was only there because of the bleed (which had all resolved and found to be OK by this point).

Anyway, after lots of discussions about why I should be admitted/my risk etc - I ended up discharging myself 'against medical advice' because I knew from last time that my body will just do this constantly and it actually won't amount to anything; so I could be stuck in hospital being 'observed' for goodness knows how long because it won't 'settle' as they'd want before discharging me.
Felt like a bit of an idiot with the amount of fuss that was being made to be honest..!

It's just really getting me down now though. I'm SO uncomfortable all the time with these tightenings (they're certainly not 'painless' braxton hicks!). They do come and go throughout the day, but even when they're not there, my whole bump then just 'hurts' from where it has been so busy tightening!
I feel like all I do is wince and moan like an old lady, I'm walking and moving around hunched over most of the time.. ; it's starting to make me depressed because there's so long left yet, and I know this is just going to go on and on every day like last time :-(

I won't speak to the hospital as they'll just want to admit me again, which I don't feel is necessary; I don't think I'm going into labour or that I might, because I didn't last time - the problem is more just the constant pain/discomfort and how mentally and physically draining it is.

There's no point to this post really, just a little rant/moan :-(

Oh man. I'm so sorry to read this. What a horrible situation. They won't prescribe you any pain meds or anything?

That doesn't sound fun :( I guess I would go on the side of caution in that every pregnancy can be different. Just because nothing happened last pregnancy doesn't mean something isn't wrong this time? Keep an eye on yourself just in case! You don't want to find yourself in a situation where the hospital could have helped and you decided you were OK! :-/ I'd def see if there are any regular pain meds you can take to help? Impossible to be in pain all day for the next 16 weeks! :( hope it eases off or there is some help for you!!

I would be a mess in your shoes! I feel terrible for you! I know our bodies like to torture us during pregnancy, but that's just ridiculous! :hugs: I am keeping my fingers crossed that your body gives you a nice, long pregnancy. :)

Had some minimal spotting again yesterday and the tightenings continue... they're not getting any worse so I know I'm not going into labour, but my goodness this is draining...!

I just don't really know what to do, to be honest.
There's a swab test they can do before 34 weeks which gives a positive or negative result, showing the likelihood of going into preterm labour in the next couple of weeks...
I couldn't have that test the other day because OH and I had DTD the night before (can't have it done within 24 hours of sex), therefore they wanted to treat me as if it would have been 'positive' based on the strength and frequency of the tightenings, and give steroids etc.

We haven't DTD since as I'm sure that's what caused the bleed so I'm too scared to (plus everything is so swollen down there that it hurts anyway!)... So on one hand I'm tempted to go back and just have the test for peace of mind.
However on the other hand, I'm 99% sure it'll be Negative (it was in my last pregnancy when I was having daily tightenings just like this at 27 weeks) - and that almost scares me a little bit..?! Maybe that's the wrong word, as obviously I don't want the baby to come early at all..! But it'll be pretty depressing to know for sure again that this is just 'one of those things' again and that I've just got to put up with it for the next 13-16 weeks!

Plus I work at my hospital so the whole thing is kind-of embarrassing....

I would get the test to ease that 1% in your mind that isn't sure.

I know how you feel about going in but with your history you really should just to be on the safe side, everyone there will be thinking about your well being. I had that with my last pregnancy - tightenings which came on every now and then and became regular and painful at points felt like labour, I was monitored several times on the machine and had a few internals and they said in the end it's an irritable uterus which hopefully is what's causing yours too. :hugs:

Oy - that sounds emotionally and physically exhausting! I have no idea how I'd handle this situation - but I would imagine that swab test you mentioned could really ease your mind, at least enough so you can stop second guessing whether leaving the hospital was the right thing to do or not. I understand feeling under pressure because your hospital is where you work, but (and this is easier said than done) try not to think about that. Imagine how you would speak to one of your coworkers who was experiencing what you were. Would you judge or would you understand that pregnancy can be scary and preterm labor is a real concern. You know your body and so I'm sure you're probably in the clear - but I would hate to live with the "what ifs" if anything were to happen. (However, IF anything were to happen I'm not at ALL saying it was your fault or preventable. Pregnancy is painfully out of our control, even though we like to convince ourselves otherwise..)

Anyway, I'm rambling but mean to say - I'm sorry you're going through this. It sounds like a lot to manage, especially with work and 3 other kids and everything else that we juggle in a day. Keep talking. Keep venting, if you need to. I'm thinking about you.

MemmaJ I'm sorry it hurts ! Hope u fee better soon but I would do the test if I were u just to ease my mind and know something instead of hanging and wondering ...

Good luck and hopefully things go great

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"