Tipping?? Is it just me or is this appalling

Jaylynne

Reaction score
https://www.gransnet.com/forums/am_...o-tip-or-not-to-tip-that-is-the-question?pg=1

Maybe it's different in other countries, but i would be totally appalled if someone refuses to tip their waitress or hairdresser when most of their wages are from tipping. And here it's customary for 15+% tip unless horrible service when dining. I usually tip at the least 15% on haircuts. I don't think someone should get services done or eat out at places that have servers if they can't afford to tip. I mean, is it really customary for maybe a 10% tip in the UK?!

Well, if most of their wages are from tipping, then perhaps they are in the wrong job?

A tip is not an obligation, it is at the discretion of the customer.

I agree with Lina.

If I go out for a meal, I expect good service. If I get it, I will leave a tip. I dont go by % of total bill.

I will admit, I've never thought of tipping a hairdresser? I don't ever go mind you.

What's considered a job where tips are expected? Many people have low paid jobs but don't expect tips i.e supermarket stackers/cashier. They provide a service but they don't get tips

Why should people tip? I give my hairdresser a small tip when I get my hair cut but it's her job, I'm a carer and I don't get tips and I'm on minimum wage, in my opinion expecting a tip is just cheeky, I don't go by % in restaurants either ill give what I see fit.

Think they'll be a big difference here between us and uk.
I do tip but it depends on the service I get.
I hate it when service is included on a restaurant bill and the service has been bad-it should be discretionary.
I also hate when I buy a drink in a bar and get given my change on a silver plate. I don't think pouring a drink I've had to queue for and fetch myself deserves a tip for 'service'.
I tip hairdressers, beauty salon staff, taxi drivers, waiters etc but not by a certain %

Fannyadams, I've worked in pubs before. We never expected a tip! The only time a tip jar was put out was on Xmas day (pub was open 12-2pm) & NYE. Any normal opening hours, there was no tip jar.

Yeah this is a cultural thing. Here (the UK) they will get (at least) £6.19 ($10) an hour, if over 21 and £4.98 ($8) if 18 to 20, as this is our minimum wage. So pretty similar wage to many people in this country. It has to be paid nowadays and cant be made up with tips, so anything they get from tips is etra rather than what they live on.

However I do tip, at least 10% (unless the service has been really poor like the time I was eating and the girl was sat eating sweets and wasnt serving us for 25 minutes each time despite us being the only people there :wacko:) but usually more. I do that for taxi's (in particular because they do not get a minimum wage as such), eating out, hairdressers etc. Sure there is more but cant think.

Also when I went to America, I made even more of an effort to tip as I knew they were relying on them plus the service there was felt sort of different.

Fannyadams, I've worked in pubs before. We never expected a tip! The only time a tip jar was put out was on Xmas day (pub was open 12-2pm) & NYE. Any normal opening hours, there was no tip jar.

I agree most pubs don't-only a few in town x

Didn't tipping get its start as "To Insure Promptness"? That's why a diner might hand the maitre d some money to get a good table,etc. Nowadays we tip after the service. Bizarre, but that's the way it's done.

Back to the question: part of it depends on the state. In my state, servers get minimum wage: $9.04 an hour, plus tips. When I lived in Arizona, they were paid significantly less than minimum wage, plus tips. I do tip for hairdressing but your link raises a good point: why do I do it? Probably because it's expected, as nearly everyone does it. Hmmmm, I'll have to rethink this. I understand that hairdressing can be ridiculously expensive and that the actual stylist only gets a small portion as their wage, but that isn't my problem.....?

I think I've tipped twice in my entire life. Once when I was really pleased with a haircut from a junior stylist, and once when a taxi driver was really helpful. It never even crosses my mind to tip otherwise, good service is just expected.

Oh and in answer to your title I dont think it is appalling and that they shouldnt eat out or what ever. Many on there will be pensioners that means that some will be living on about £80 a week, if they're not retired then they may well just work a few hours a week. If they save up for a nice meal then that is great, if their two monthly treat is a haircut then why should they be denied that just because they cant afford a tip? I personally would rather them keep their money and put the tip towards electric, heating or food. Just my opinon though.

I guess it is most definitely cultural. If people tipped 10% on meals or a haircut where I live it would be considered an insult.

I'd almost wish they'd include tipping in the meal prices or services here. I hate worrying about how much to leave.

Before I had my daughter I used to go to the hairdressers once every 6weeks for highlights. It would cost me £70. There is no way on earth of tip!! I'm paying for the service.

I only ever tip when eating out if he service was very very good otherwise no, and def not a certain percentage!

Definitely a cultural thing for sure. :flower:

Over here, waiter/waitresses and professions that get tips get paid almost $4 an hour less than the people in other service industry jobs (check out clerk at a grocery store). Its ridiculous to me really, its really freaking hard to be a waitress. People out there can be downright miserable and too often if they don't like something with the food they take it out on the waiter/waitress.

I always let my tip reflect how I felt the service was. For someone who was absolutely wonderful then we will be generous, if they barely did what their job is (and I know what it entails, I've done it) then they get far less. I don't ever skip tipping though.

I tip the girl who threads my eyebrows 50% . She's a professional, & she spends a good time shaping my eye brows. The threading price is not much, tipping her 10-15% is less than 1 US $, I always tip the hairdresser if I'm happy with the service.

Here at hair saloons they give a basic salary & they have sales target, if they reach their target (from services & products selling) they get additional pay. If you're happy with a specific girl, you will ask for her when you visit again, this is how she reaches her sales target.

In one of the spas I go to, they have a tipping box for each girl, the boxes are at the reception.

I don't always tip in restaurants, earlier there was a service charge added to the bill (10-20%), but 2 yrs back the government removed the service charge, so all restaurants increased their prices to include the service to the bill without showing it.

I hate it when I go to a restaurant & they bring the credit card machine to the table & ask if we want to include a tip, I feel like they're forcing us to pay a tip!

Yeah, you should NEVER feel like you have to tip. I really dislike it when stores do that too.

I remember one year my family had thanksgiving dinner at this really posh restaurant. My Dad, bless him, doesn't really understand formal restaurant tipping and ended up just giving like $5 or so.

The waiter actually ran out after us on the STREET wanting to know what he did "wrong" to deserve such a tip. He was very efficient but wasn't very personable and my poor dad was so embarrassed he ended up giving him more money. My brother and I were livid, you get what you get and that's what you get. You don't chase your customers out on the street demanding more! :shock: :nope:

^Terrible manners. I would have demanded my pittance back if he wasn't happy. Anyway, this thread has had a weird impact on me, in that it made me aware of expectations. I took a cab today and told the driver he could keep the change.:lol:

May sound bad but i resent tipping - i look after children -peoples pride and enjoy - dont get tipped because its our job - hell we are lucky to get a tin of chocs as a thank you at christmas LOL

SO at hairdressers where i pay a fortune for myself and my daughters regardless of how much is cut off and length of time it takes i pay the same

so no hairdressers/taxi/resturants - i dont tip

why is it in these services we are 'expected' to give a tip?

i think people feel they have too and it shouldnt be that way at all.

Its different in the UK though. I want to say that your waiter/waitresses don't make well below minimum wage? Over here they do, which is why people tip. If my waitress was making $15 an hour then darn skippy I wouldn't be tipping her either. :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->