Tipping?? Is it just me or is this appalling

I guess it is most definitely cultural. If people tipped 10% on meals or a haircut where I live it would be considered an insult.

I'd almost wish they'd include tipping in the meal prices or services here. I hate worrying about how much to leave.

I used to wait tables and I hated tip expectations the other servers had. The argument is that if it's included in the price, you'll get worse service because they aren't working for a tip-- but they're already doing a crap job because they know they'll get the same no matter how they do because giving the 15-25% is culturally ingrained! You know how to get better service? Complain about the crappy service so they can be fired and replaced. People don't actually leave more for good service now- because the "standard" tip amount is already too high. And that $1-2 extra someone might leave for truly outstanding service doesn't help nearly as much as tracking down the manager to compliment the server. If the manager hears enough about you, they schedule you for busy nights or give you "good" tables or give you the business party that comes every year and leaves a few hundred dollars in tip and expect top service. We got by in college based on good reports I got that resulted in getting tables with better turnover, not by people tipping a little more for better service.

Yeah here they make minimum wage (£6.19 an hour) and that is what a lot of people live on here, so I think that makes it more why should I tip when they earn the same as me iykwim?

I do nearly always tip taxi drivers though (one time I didnt because I had about fifty bags right near christmas and he just watched me with them even though I was moaning in pain) because usually they arent earning a wage, they work for a taxi firm and they get a cut from the the amount you pay. Obviously some days are super busy so they earn lots but others they arent busy at all. My brother use to do it and sometimes it averaged out at about £2 an hour he was earning. He had to leave in the end cos he couldnt afford to stay.

Someone on there said about why tip taxi drivers but not bus drivers but taxi drivers earn a set wage and here (London) it is a very good one. My brother use to do that too and he would get £10 to £12 ($16 to $19 US) an hour normally (depending on the time he was driving) and could earn up to almost £20 ($32) an hour on bank holiday. So to me that is completely different to a taxi driver.

And I want to add that waiting tables isn't meant to be a high-paying job. Tips are supposed to bring you up to minimum wage, but I was easily clearing $35-40/h. (under the table because they generally ask you to only claim tips up to min wage so that servers who claim low don't stand out and get audited)

I used to wait tables and I hated tip expectations the other servers had. The argument is that if it's included in the price, you'll get worse service because they aren't working for a tip-- but they're already doing a crap job because they know they'll get the same no matter how they do because giving the 15-25% is culturally ingrained! You know how to get better service? Complain about the crappy service so they can be fired and replaced. People don't actually leave more for good service now- because the "standard" tip amount is already too high. And that $1-2 extra someone might leave for truly outstanding service doesn't help nearly as much as tracking down the manager to compliment the server. If the manager hears enough about you, they schedule you for busy nights or give you "good" tables or give you the business party that comes every year and leaves a few hundred dollars in tip and expect top service. We got by in college based on good reports I got that resulted in getting tables with better turnover, not by people tipping a little more for better service.

This is interesting. It is different here, but as I said I always tip but I do always speak to the manager if I think someone has been outstanding at their job. I say people are quick enough to complain but dont often compliment.

Here, they'll grumble at their tables or tell another waitress or the busboy, but when prompted to speak to a manager, they'll just think that the other waitress can pass the info on.

That's not always true, us and our friends always tip well when we feel that we have exceptional service.

The night we got engaged we had dinner at the Keg Mansion down in Toronto. It didn't happen there (later on in the night) but our waitress was just amazing. She was so personable even though the place was a zoo, even took the time to bring us upstairs as its rumoured that the place is haunted to show us where the "sightings" are.

She then got us little packages that showed the story/history of the night and was just an absolute pleasure. We tipped her VERY well. There was another waitress who was working the tables around us and she wasn't nearly as nice or as friendy; I'm glad we got who we got.

She totally made an impact on us as 3 years later I still think back to her and how wonderful she was with us. :flower:

I'm a server at a place that adds in 18% gratuity into every price. I have people bitch at me about it ALL the time so I'd prefer they didn't. I would likely make less money on average but I don't personally agree with it either.

We had absolutely awful service at a restaurant/bar once and didn't pay the 18% grat. And we're usually very generous tippers seeing as I benefit from tips myself. This girl took 45 minutes to get my friend a glass of water (we reminded her at least three times that we were waiting for it). She was incredibly unapologetic and just terrible in every way possible, so we refused to pay the "required" tip. We were followed out of the restaurant by the manager and not so kindly told we were not welcome back.

So silly. You should not be obligated to tip someone who has given you awful service.

I usually tip, it's how I was brought up, although my parents top everyone, and I stopped, like the bin men, I never even speak or see them and you have recycling for this and that, I a, certainly not running down my street with a £20 note, lol. Anyway, my posty here is crap, so no chance. Otherwise I do.

It's cultural generally though, hubby's family don't tip a penny.

When we are in the USA I always tip about 20% of restaurant bills, here it depends on service, if it was terrible, nothing, if it wasn't very good but not terrible i will just give a few pounds, normally though 10/15%, 20/25% if its really good or posh lol.

Hairdressers I always round it up as does my husband.
I guess it depends on the cost and what I value the item at, if I'm shocked at the price of a haircut then no!

I have never been in a job with tips, oh sometimes gets tipped, rarely though, he is a gas engineer, he did much better in Scotland then in Wales, so am guessing the stereotype of Scottish being tight isn't true. Lol.

Perhaps the woman in that thread is right because I'm 21 and would never even consider tipping a hairdresser. Is that the common etiquette?! I tip in restaurants and that's it, and I often forget.

RESTAURANTS/BARS
Waiter/waitress: 15% of bill (excl. tax) for adequate service; 20% for very good service; no less than 10% for poor service
Headwaiter/captain: often gets a cut of table server's tip; so tip your server extra to reward captain, or tip captain separately
Sommelier, or wine steward: 15% of cost of the bottle
Bartender: 15% to 20% of the tab, with a minimum of 50 cents per soft drink, $1 per alcoholic drink
Coatroom attendant: $1 per coat
Parking valet or garage attendant: $2 to bring your car to you
Washroom attendant: 50 cents to $1

DAILY LIFE
Taxi driver: Varies depending on locality. Assume 15% will be enough; an extra $1 to $2 for help with bags.
Food delivery person:* 10% of the bill (excl. tax), at least $1 for bills up to $10. Should tip 15%-20% for a difficult delivery.
Grocery loader: Check with store policy if tips are accepted. If so, $1 for bringing bags to car; $1.50 to $3 if you have more than 3 bags.
Barber: 15% to 20%, minimum $1, for a haircut. For other services (shampoo, shave or manicure) tip $1 to $2 to service provider.
Hairdresser: 15% to 20%. (It is now acceptable to tip owner, unless he or she says otherwise.)
Shampoo person: $2
Manicurist: 15%
Spa service (e.g., massage): 15% to 20%. If service is provided by owner, no tip.
Staff at coffee/food retailers with tip jars: No tip required. It's completely optional.
Handyman: No tip
Gas attendant: No tip
* Mike Lynn, associate professor of consumer behavior at the Cornell Hotel School suggests tipping pizza delivery folk a minimum of $2 per pizza. His reasoning: Food delivery can be dangerous if delivering to crime-ridden neighborhoods or driving in bad weather, etc. The Web site www.tipthepizzaguy.com suggests the following: 15% for normal service, with a $2 minimum; 20% for excellent service; 10% or less for poor service; at least 10% for orders of $50 or more. Don't assume a delivery charge, if there is one, goes to the pizza deliverer. Ask the person who takes your order.

TRAVEL
Skycap at airport: $1 per bag if you check-in curbside; $2 per bag if skycap takes bags to check-in counter.
Hotel doorman: $1 per bag for help with luggage; $1 per person for hailing a cab
Hotel bellhop: $1 per bag for bringing luggage to your room (but a $2 minimum if you have just one bag)
Hotel housekeeper: $2 to $5* per night
Hotel concierge: $5 for getting you tickets or reservations ($10-plus if they're hard to get). No tip required when you ask for directions.
Cruise: Varies. Ask cruise line about customary gratuities.

That's what fun we get to deal with for tipping. From CNN money

RESTAURANTS/BARS
Waiter/waitress: 15% of bill (excl. tax) for adequate service; 20% for very good service; no less than 10% for poor service
Headwaiter/captain: often gets a cut of table server's tip; so tip your server extra to reward captain, or tip captain separately
Sommelier, or wine steward: 15% of cost of the bottle
Bartender: 15% to 20% of the tab, with a minimum of 50 cents per soft drink, $1 per alcoholic drink
Coatroom attendant: $1 per coat
Parking valet or garage attendant: $2 to bring your car to you
Washroom attendant: 50 cents to $1

DAILY LIFE
Taxi driver: Varies depending on locality. Assume 15% will be enough; an extra $1 to $2 for help with bags.
Food delivery person:* 10% of the bill (excl. tax), at least $1 for bills up to $10. Should tip 15%-20% for a difficult delivery.
Grocery loader: Check with store policy if tips are accepted. If so, $1 for bringing bags to car; $1.50 to $3 if you have more than 3 bags.
Barber: 15% to 20%, minimum $1, for a haircut. For other services (shampoo, shave or manicure) tip $1 to $2 to service provider.
Hairdresser: 15% to 20%. (It is now acceptable to tip owner, unless he or she says otherwise.)
Shampoo person: $2
Manicurist: 15%
Spa service (e.g., massage): 15% to 20%. If service is provided by owner, no tip.
Staff at coffee/food retailers with tip jars: No tip required. It's completely optional.
Handyman: No tip
Gas attendant: No tip
* Mike Lynn, associate professor of consumer behavior at the Cornell Hotel School suggests tipping pizza delivery folk a minimum of $2 per pizza. His reasoning: Food delivery can be dangerous if delivering to crime-ridden neighborhoods or driving in bad weather, etc. The Web site www.tipthepizzaguy.com suggests the following: 15% for normal service, with a $2 minimum; 20% for excellent service; 10% or less for poor service; at least 10% for orders of $50 or more. Don't assume a delivery charge, if there is one, goes to the pizza deliverer. Ask the person who takes your order.

TRAVEL
Skycap at airport: $1 per bag if you check-in curbside; $2 per bag if skycap takes bags to check-in counter.
Hotel doorman: $1 per bag for help with luggage; $1 per person for hailing a cab
Hotel bellhop: $1 per bag for bringing luggage to your room (but a $2 minimum if you have just one bag)
Hotel housekeeper: $2 to $5* per night
Hotel concierge: $5 for getting you tickets or reservations ($10-plus if they're hard to get). No tip required when you ask for directions.
Cruise: Varies. Ask cruise line about customary gratuities.

Holy shit.

According to that list, a simple trip to a restaurant may end up costing more than the meal. I'd rather stay in, and order a takeaway. Outrageous!

Hahaha, I would be flat out broke if I tipped all those people.

I hate it when you make an order for pick-up and the debit machine prompts for a tip. I always feel bad saying no, but come on...a tip for grabbing my food from the kitchen? Nope.

I don't really see why i should tip, they are doing their job just like i do my job and no one tips me lol. If you tip one person then you should tip EVERY person or none at all.

I can see how it is different in the states though, if they get paid under and it makes the wages up, but here they will be making minimum wage.

We always tip it is just our norm . I tip my hairdresser and I tip waiters and waitresses and I tip the guy when he grooms my dog also. I could never walk out of a restaurant and not tip the person serving me, unless they treated me horrible. Just like it is hard for people to understand tipping it is hard for me also not to ever tip :flower:

Perhaps the woman in that thread is right because I'm 21 and would never even consider tipping a hairdresser. Is that the common etiquette?! I tip in restaurants and that's it, and I often forget.

Yes it is common here. The hairdressers are not the owners, they rent their chair to do their work, they pay the owner a certain amount every month, so the money I pay for a cut or a blow out goes to the salon , the tip goes to them.

Edit, they may get a very small percentage of the cost of a cut which is 40 dollars here, they may get $5 out of it..

Tip jars get my goat, cuz then you feel like you ought to...... plus it's such a blatant request for money, imo!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->