Tipping?? Is it just me or is this appalling

In the UK we have a minimum wage across the country, why should they be subsidised when a cleaner or carer is not? I tip 10% out of social obligation not because I think it is necessary, don't even get me started on hairdressers.

Perhaps the woman in that thread is right because I'm 21 and would never even consider tipping a hairdresser. Is that the common etiquette?! I tip in restaurants and that's it, and I often forget.

Yes it is common here. The hairdressers are not the owners, they rent their chair to do their work, they pay the owner a certain amount every month, so the money I pay for a cut or a blow out goes to the salon , the tip goes to them.

Edit, they may get a very small percentage of the cost of a cut which is 40 dollars here, they may get $5 out of it..

It's very different here.

Culturally I think people just need to accept that its different, and respect it.

Just because I think its normal to do it here doesn't mean that I feel that people across the pond should feel that way as well. :flower:

I dont always tip, only really if we go to a restaurant. I have never tipped a hairdresser nor known of anyone to tip one here?

Yah I agree tiff, I had no idea waiters really didn't work on tips in the uk like they do here so it was just shocking to read (and I thought the old people on gransnet were being stingy before I realized lol)

Tip jars get my goat, cuz then you feel like you ought to...... plus it's such a blatant request for money, imo!

Yes I agree with you and I am starting to see them all over. When I go to the deli to buy some things they have one and I look like????? Why are you getting a tip. The bakery has one and they are popping up all over :shrug: I feel awkward but I never tip them. :flower:

Yah I agree tiff, I had no idea waiters really didn't work on tips in the uk like they do here so it was just shocking to read (and I thought the old people on gransnet were being stingy before I realized lol)

I feel the same! Because its so normal to do it here I was like :shock: as well. :haha:

At the restauraunt where I used to work's debit/credit terminal would prompt for a tip every time even if people were doing take out. Which I wouldn't tip for either, that's mainly the cooks/chefs who made the food and they DO get paid an awful lot. :haha:

Anytime I was cashing someone out for take out I'd explain right off the bat how to bypass the tip part. Most people did, some didn't which was sweet but at the same time never, ever expected. :haha:

Back to hairdressing for a moment......

I always get mine done at the beauty school as it's at least half the price of salons. When I go to pay at the end, the clerk always asks if I want to leave a tip. They are students, for crying out loud. I realize they are not being paid, but I wasn't paid to go to school, either.... Nothing wrong with tipping them, and I do on occasion, but asking customers at a school is ott, imo!

Id be scared to get my hair cut at a beauty school lol

I normally wouldn't either :blush: but my friend just started Hair School and begged me to let her at least do some layers in my hair and add bangs and she did a really good job!

Had it not been for her I wouldn't have ever consider it. :blush: But that's just me though, I do know that not everyone has friends who's done Beauty school. :flower:

I normally wouldn't either :blush: but my friend just started Hair School and begged me to let her at least do some layers in my hair and add bangs and she did a really good job!

Had it not been for her I wouldn't have ever consider it. :blush: But that's just me though, I do know that not everyone has friends who's done Beauty school. :flower:

O/T but why are they called bangs?? The word doesn't make sense!

We call it a fringe... It's apropriate :haha:

I usually tip 10% at the hairdressers, restaurant and taxi. I would find it annoying if it was always expected though that you have to tip, especially if the service is bad

Appropriate for your side of the world maybe, lol. I cringe every time I see someone saying that they're going out for a "fag". That's a derogatory term for a gay man over here. :rofl:

I like to give people a tip. I always leave one when I feel happy with the service I got.

If I have a good meal & service in a restaurant I leave a tip, if I have a good meal but not service I will extend my compliments to the chef, but not tip. If the food is shite but the service good I would complain about the food and give the waiter/ess a tip and tell them it was for their good service. Once in Blackpool we were in a cruddy market and I needed a rest as I was 38 weeks with jack so we sat in this cafe bit in the corner, it had 3 tables and 5 chairs in the wee section, we got 2 cups of tea and 2 bacon on toasts and it was the best bacon toast ies I have ever had, I left them a £3 tip because I enjoyed it that much.

I had a new hairdresser come round to a freinds to cut and colour her hair so I got a trim and so did Leah while she was there, she charged us £7 each for the dry cuts so I gave her and extra £6 as I was more than happy to pay that.

Taxi drivers get a tip if I think they deserve it as well. I went to Glasgow last year, got in a taxi and asked the driver to take me up to cab direct (huge place the other side of the M8 that sells taxis, i was going to pick up my new one) he was an arrogant pig, said he wasn't sure where it was, googled it and then drove me there in complete silence. When we got there the fare on the meter was £7 so I gave him £7. If he had made any effort at all I would have given him £10 so it was his loss. I am a taxi driver and I never ever expect a tip, I genuinely appreciate them though, and I am always as nice and helpful as I can be with people. Like Tasha already said some days we work for way below minimum wage. I have to pay out around £200 a week for my office fees (to hire radio etc) and insurance, servicing etc, then the cost of fuel which can be around £125 but varies hugely, this is all before I can keep a penny to myself from what I actually take on the meter.

When out for a drink we always (unless they are crap) buy the bar staff 'one for yourself', usually at last orders or when we are going to be moving on. Some staff members would have a note in the till of drinks ought by others so they could have them whenever and others used to out the price of their drink in a jar to keep

Dh gets tips as a bus driver, although they often come in the form of boxes of chocolates and not money, which is fab for me haha

Robinator, I'm a total chicken after my hair got hacked to hell in a rusk hairshow.

Appropriate for your side of the world maybe, lol. I cringe every time I see someone saying that they're going out for a "fag". That's a derogatory term for a gay man over here. :rofl:

OMG me also. When I first heard the word Fag I almost died .. Then almost died laughing again when I realized what it meant ...:p: It means cigarette , over here also it is a bad word to use..

In the UK it can mean gay man too but in a derogatory way I think. So it isnt really used for that.

In the UK it can mean gay man too but in a derogatory way I think. So it isnt really used for that.

I have some friends from Scotland, maybe it is used more there? Cause they always use the term fag for cigarette

I don't tip often, will sometimes do it in a restaurant but it depends where I'm eating. If it's a self serve place then I don't see why I should tip seeing as I'm getting my own food.

My hairdresser gets a pathetic tip lol. She's a home hairdresser and I only pay £4 for a cut so I just give her a fiver. Should probably giver her more as she does a great job!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->