Tips for dealing with labour pains?

snazz

Reaction score
Hi ladies, my first was a C-Section, I'm trying for a vaginal birth this time...they told me that I will need to be fasting and hooked up to continuous fetal monitoring because I will be considered higher risk.

My contractions have started for the past 30 hrs (I'm 39 weeks and 1 day) but they are still quite irregular. The pain of the contractions though waks me up at night and brings me to my knees. I find the best position is to get on all fours and wait the contraction out, but if I'm hooked up to continuous fetal monitoring when I get to the hospital I will not be able to do that. I'm trying the breathing techniques but my nose is congested and my mouth gets really dry, they told me that I will have to be fasting too for my entire labour..I obviously can't sit on a birthing ball either if I'm hooked up to the fetal monitor. My partner isn't around to give me massages. Hot showers have been wonderful but again, if I'm hooked up the fetal monitor I don't think I can do that.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I am not against the epidural but would like to try natural methods too

Do they have a wireless monitor available? My local hospital has two available which allows for full mobility, and is even water proof so can go in the shower and bath for pain relief etc. Even if its not wireless it should still be possible to be on your hands and knees on the bed, you will just need help moving positions with the wires.

Also, do not let them deny you food. They can thrown a stink about it all they want but they cannot forcibly deny you from eating or drinking. I like stuff like fruit purees cause I can suck them through a straw.

Repeat phrases like "I can do anything for a minute" and "the pain is not stronger than me" and "my baby is coming soon" etc during your contractions and take slow deep breaths. Keep your jaw open and relaxed.

I just went through it epidural free for the first time, and I brought an apothecary necklace and put lavender oil in it for relaxation and it was so nice..My nurse was also very helpful telling me I was doing great... remember that each contraction brings you closer to your baby, and as soon as the contraction is over you will never have that contraction again, it's gone and you're one step closer to your baby...no contraction is unnecessary.

I counted through each 'tense' contraction and found this helped- they only last a minute with only 10 secs of it being the most intense (I found) and counting helped me get through those 10 secs. Think of it as a little hill you are running up and down- up to a peak and then back down we go, to a break for a few mins. Try to hold off using gas and air until they get really intense (close to delivery) and as soon as you get the tightening feeling, breath it in slowly, and it will get you through the peak.

Another thing that helped was someone telling me about the transition period- this is when the tightenings will be at most intense and close together- you will feel like you can't go on BUT this is just before you give birth and is over so quickly.

Are you in the uK or USA? can you ask them to monitor the baby another way? - seems ridiculous that they will not allow you to go on all fours- it's the only way I can do it too. My midwife checked me constantly but I had no straps on me.

I hope it all goes well and you get the birth you want :)

You should be able to sit on your birthing ball when being monitored,the straps are quite Long. I used to blow out of my mouth and brrr noise with my mouth when having contractions. I really tried not to tense up. Good luck x

great advice here. Did you tour the hospital? I agree about the wireless monitoring. I was induced with my first, was hooked up for continuous monitoring, but had complete free range of motion the whole time. I bounced, I showered, I walked, I squatted, I was on all 4s. I hope they have that available to you, definitely ask about it! You shouldn't be confined to one position, they know that isn't conducive to labor.

I totally understand the all night contractions. With my first for some reason my contractions would come at night for the 5 days leading up to actual labor. Every 1/2 hour I was awaken by them. I didn't sleep for a week.

My sister was able to move around with her fetal monitor, but for some reason it wasn't working right when she was walking with it on, so they ended up making her stay in bed.

When my labor actually started, I mostly just had to remind myself that it (pain from contraction) won't last long and then I'll get a break. But by the time I got to the hospital I couldn't walk anyway and gladly accepted the epi. I was hoping for a little rest before my little guy showed up, but I was too excited to sleep :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->