Tips for giving antibitoics

izzlesnizzle

Reaction score
My 2 yr old has been given antibiotics for impetigo and I have to give them 4 times a day for 7 days. The first dose was a disaster and she spat it out everywhere. Do you have any tips for giving antibiotics successfully to a very wriggly toddler?

Just to add, I used a calpol syringe and had let her hold a bag of chocolate buttons to eat afterwards but she was too upset to eat any of them by the time i'd cleaned her up. The thought of doing this 4 times a day for 7 days fills me with dread!

I mixed it with nutella. I know it isn't healthy but it got the job done. And since she was miserable being ill anyway, I thought it's probably a nice little treat.

After trying just about everything, i spoke to my dr when DS was on antibiotics and he said just mix it in with a bit of juice. So we did him like a shot of juice with the antibiotics and he was fine with that.

Also, not sure what meds it is but if its amoxcicillin, you can ask for it to be diapensed in a different flavour. Orange flavour is easier to disguise than banana.

Its flucloxacillan and its pink. Just tried the second dose by putting it down the inside of her cheek towards the back of her mouth whilst DH held her back and she kept it all in her mouth for a few mins whilst we kept telling her to swallow then she dribbled it all out of her mouth and down herself again. This is so frustrating!

My son hated that too I mixed it with yoghurt

He's currently on Erythromycin and it tastes nice so he takes it from the syringe no problem

It's a nightmare isn't it?! We managed to get our LO to take it by mixing it in with a bit of fruit pot. Just the smallest amount we could get away with to make sure he ate it! Good luck :)

I was about to suggest to mix it with honey but I could imagine that as Mrs Pear suggests, nutella would work even better. Good luck!

Juice! Amelia is a nightmare taking meds its very stressful isnt it! Buy some juices your lo loves but you normally keep as a treat like fruit shoot, pour most of it away literally leave a few cm and put it in the friut shoot bottle. its the only way that's ever worked for us :flower:

Good luck x

I was told by the dr not to mix with anything as then the medicine won't work. Is that not the case? I have a nightmare getting anything down my daughter, even calpol!

I usually mix with tiny bit of a fruit pot otherwise my dd will not take medicine at all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->