Tips for sleeping?

Ashersmomma

Reaction score
When I was pregnant with DS, I had some mild restless leg syndrome and it did cause me to lose a bit of sleep. With this one, I still have the restless leg, but now I also have pretty bad insomnia. Last night I got maybe 2 hours of sleep. Anyone have any tips on how to deal with insomnia while pregnant? I will see my OB in 3 weeks and talk to him about it then, but I need sleep before that. I will try anything!

I don't really know much about RLS, but would regular exercise help? I know daily exercise is great for sleeping problems, maybe it would also help you get the wiggles out?

I actually already exercise daily for the RLS. I've really gotten more into yoga lately. I used to take medication for it, but cannot take it while pregnant, as it is a category C drug and I won't risk it. I can usually keep the RLS symptoms at bay for the most part with stretching, leg massage, and hot showers(although last night was worse. Being exhausted seems to make it act up more). But I've never had the problems with insomnia like this before. I lay in bed for hours last night, and finally drifted off at about 4am, woke up at 5:30am to wake DH up for work, and then couldn't really get back to sleep until just before DS woke up :( There's gotta be something else that will help, since exercise doesn't seem to be helping.

I'm having trouble sleeping on a night too, I wake up around every hour and it's driving me insane, I just can't seem to get comfortable, plus the constant trips to the bathroom. I'm stalking this thread looking for tips :) hope you manage to get some sleep soon x

It may pass on it's own. After I found out I was pregnant I had trouble sleeping. I'd fall asleep late and wake up on my own around 6 every morning. It went away around 7 weeks.

Are you using any kind of technology a couple hours before bed? The artificial light from TVs, cell phones, computers, etc... is known to mess with your natural sleep patterns. What about taking a warm bath before bed with some relaxing smelling bubbles, playing soft music, reading a book?

I hope it goes away.
I normally read before bed, but I do occasionally hop on the ol' laptop :) It's just hard to stay off sometimes.
I really wish I could take a nice bubble bath, but unfortunately the house we are living in right now doesn't have a bathtub, just a shower. :( Oh, how I miss my bubble baths.

My best recommandation would be meditation and a body scan. Just lay in bed, take a few deep breaths. Feel your body sink deeper and deeper into the bed with each breath. Like you are melting.

Then you will start the body scan. Start with the right side of your body, and focus on every body party, starting with the fingers. Feel the muscles relax in every finger, then hand, then arm, then shoulder, then back and so on. Then you do the left side of your body. Then the front of your body, including the head. Just focus on every muscle and feel them relax.

After you have done this, your body will feel so heavy and tired. I can't even complete the routine before I fall asleep :)

I hope it works for you, good luck xx

Aah, my old nemesis, pregnancy insomnia. Had it horrible with DS for about 4 weeks. About drove me completely batshit. For me, I had to wait it out. It did pass. But it was hard going thru it.

What about melatonin? It's a naturally occurring substance in our bodies that helps us sleep, so taking it shouldn't affect baby. I would recommend starting out with 1 mg. of course always check with ur dr first. I've heard magnesium may help with rls, but I don't have any personal experience with that. I take it for constipation that comes with my IBS. Hope u can sleep soon!!!

I guess if I still have problems when I go to my first appointment, I will talk to my OB about it. I have tried just about everything I can think of now. At least last night I got 4 hours instead of just 2.
Luvspnk31, I actually already started taking supplements for it. That's what I did with DS, and what I took before I was put on Mirapex. I take magnesium, calcium, and potassium.(approved by OB) As far as melatonin, I have heard good and bad about, so I probably won't try it. Some say that it may cause some defects in baby, some say it is ok. There is just not enough research on it to give me proof one way or another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->