Tips on Diet, nutrition and methods to improve Fertility!

Emmi

Reaction score
So after being in the big sink hole of despair after a failed IVF - I was desperate to find help from anywhere and everywhere.......So I looked at Fertility Acupuncture that has been recommended by every man and his dog only to find that as I don't happen to be a millionaire - it's totally out of the question......I happen to think that those ludicrous prices are just preying on the vulnerable......Totally shocking......

So in my desperation - I have just had to look at the poor man's methods to improve my fertility. As far as I know - there is nothing wrong with our fertility except our age - 42 and 47 respectively......

So - my first port of call - Royaly Jelly.......The Queen Bee must be doing something right and Royal Jelly is rich in amino acids, lipids, sugars, vitamins, and most importantly, proteins. It contains high levels of vitamins D and E, and also has ample levels of iron and calcium - so surely it can be doing nothing but good for me!!!! It was on sale at my local health food shop so I stocked up.

Next thing Castor Oil packs!! Now folk from a certain generation know all about the goodness of castor oil and also my parents knew all about it as they happen to be Indian - the castor bean happens to originate from India. So - the castor oil can be hard to find but Amazon and Asian supermarkets should stock it. The castor oil amongst other things helps the blood flow in the uterus and all you need is - castor oil, a flannel and a hot water bottle......Bingo!!!! A whole lot better than spending £45 on a 45 mins acupuncture session......

https://www.greenster.com/magazine/castor-oil-packs/

We have both vowed to stay off the booze, caffeine and fizzy drinks. Hubby's pesky swimmers improved big time by using -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Natural-Heal...ealth+Practice

Anyway - I am distraught after the failed IVF and I doubt we can afford it again so my only option is look at cheaper alternatives to help. I can't sit back and do nothing and I feel a whole lot better knowing I can help myself without bankrupting myself!!!!

Please do share what diets you use or have come across. All tips and help would be welcome and I think would be great to share.

:flower:

There are studies that suggest CoQ10 approximately 600mg a day for women who are over 35 help improve egg health. it is also fine for the man to take as well to improve sperm quality.

They are a bit more expensive then your standard vitamin but if you are looking to improve overal egg health this is the way to go.

Good luck!

Ahhh yes - I shall go and pick some up!!! I have been hearing lots of good things about that so need to stock up. I know it's that little bit dearer but the research is good on it so will give it a whirl.:flower:

Okay - I have just received my book today that I ordered -

The Impatient Woman's Guide to Getting Pregnant by Jean M. Twenge

It does sound funny, informative and full of things that I need to know! So will let you know if it's worth a read or not:thumbup:

Dont worry I finally broke down and ended up with 4 books.

12 week fertility cleanse, oriental medicine something or other, infertility the guide to dealing with it and somethign else. Havent read them all yet but there is some good information in them.

I've had 2 failed IVF's and did manage to get pregnant Sept 2012 by taking CoQ10 (800mg ubiquinol/day) as well as I got my GP to test my thyroid and DHEAS levels. Thyroid was medium at 3is and my FS wanted it above 2 so I took the very lowest dose of synthroid and DHEAS was minimum so I took 25mg/3xday. I then saw more follies every month even for my IVF's after taking these three supplements. I miscarried in NOvember though and we're currently looking into donor eggs.
The DHEAS made me sleep like a baby and dream alot. I also lost weight so that my hormones aren't dredging along. WHen you have extra fat on you your adrenal system won't work as efficiently as it should, this was the hardest thing but I'm hellbent on getting pregnant and I figure now that I'm in shape, when it happens it'll be SO much better than when I was a BMI of 31 and having hormonal acne and infertility.

Dietary: high protein, low carb + sugar. The diabetes association has done studies that show sugar changes your eggs, it produces tiny bumpy nodules on them. Our bodies don't function well with sugar Healthy fats and proteins repair and heal. Carbs and sugar also keeps many PCOS women from having their cycles, there are links, people seem to get really upset when being told they should cut back their carbs but if you really want to get pregnant, try doing your best to get fresh food and cut out all non-processed soy/carb/sugar free foods. Processed soy mimiks estrogen and has been banned in many countries (except for north america because they have lobbyists supporting their sales quotas over here).
I'm wishing you the best of luck and a speedy BFP!

Dont worry I finally broke down and ended up with 4 books.

12 week fertility cleanse, oriental medicine something or other, infertility the guide to dealing with it and somethign else. Havent read them all yet but there is some good information in them.

Ha - I think it's good to have some books to dip into - just helps to have some information at hand on this crazy journey:wacko:

I've had 2 failed IVF's and did manage to get pregnant Sept 2012 by taking CoQ10 (800mg ubiquinol/day) as well as I got my GP to test my thyroid and DHEAS levels. Thyroid was medium at 3is and my FS wanted it above 2 so I took the very lowest dose of synthroid and DHEAS was minimum so I took 25mg/3xday. I then saw more follies every month even for my IVF's after taking these three supplements. I miscarried in NOvember though and we're currently looking into donor eggs.
The DHEAS made me sleep like a baby and dream alot. I also lost weight so that my hormones aren't dredging along. WHen you have extra fat on you your adrenal system won't work as efficiently as it should, this was the hardest thing but I'm hellbent on getting pregnant and I figure now that I'm in shape, when it happens it'll be SO much better than when I was a BMI of 31 and having hormonal acne and infertility.

Dietary: high protein, low carb + sugar. The diabetes association has done studies that show sugar changes your eggs, it produces tiny bumpy nodules on them. Our bodies don't function well with sugar, healthy fats and proteins repair and heal. Carbs and sugar also keeps many PCOS women from having their cycles, there are links, people seem to get really upset when being told they should cut back their carbs but if you really want to get pregnant, try doing your best to get fresh, non-processed soy/carb/sugar free foods.
I'm wishing you the best of luck and a speedy BFP!

Thank you so much for that info - really interesting about your improvements with eggs on your suppliments. And thanks on the info about sugar and how they can change your eggs. I guess it's not brain surgery knowing that sugary foods aren't great for us and that high protein food etc are better for us:wacko:

Wishing you the best of luck too:flower:

When I had my ( LONG AWAITED ) successful cycle I focused on eating as much "non-processed" food as possible. The menu I used was created based on TONS of research I did and talking with my doctor.

I cut out caffeine and alcohol ( which it sounds like you have already done, so good work! ) and found the best nutrients--after a lot of research-- to focus on to improve egg quality and chances or success were foods containing protein, antioxidants, calcium, iron, and fiber.

For breakfast each morning I ate a smoothie with organic yogurt, two cups of cherries ( antioxidants for healthy lining ), half a cup of steel cut organic oats, and a spoonful of flax seed. It was delicious.

Lunch I always had a spinach salad with two hard boiled eggs ( protein ), red peppers, carrots, and whatever other veggies I had around with a "REAL" dressing, none of that "light" stuff---good to have some fats in your diet.

Dinner was either brown rice and red beans with lean red meat and salsa wrapped in a wheat tortilla with cheese or some lean chicken and veggies or lean fish, rice, veggies ( anything along those lines. )

Snacks: Cheese sticks, apple, bananas, yogurt.

I dont know if it was my diet that made the difference, but it DID work that cycle and never had before!

I also did 15 minutes of quiet stretching/ yoga each morning and evening that seemed to help my stress and calm me down.

Good luck!

Hi Sunshine - how wonderful that you finally got your BFP!!! That's such wonderful news!!

Luckily - I don't tend to eat processed foods though my down fall is chocolate......Though - I am having a little but not as often as I used to. I just can't deny myself that or else I would be raiding Willy Wonka's chocolate factory!

Hmmm - loving the sound of your breakfast smoothie - sounds fabulous.

My superfood that I manage to sneak into a lot of my cooking which you mention is spinach! Popeye seriously got that right and it works in hot food and cold food - love the stuff!

My de-stresser is swimming and simply walking the dog! I am out in all weathers with all the other mad dog-walkers enjoying the countryside and our canine pals:happydance:

Much study has convinced me of the relationship between food, exercise/relaxation, and fertility especially for those who have endometriosis like me. When I eliminated dairy, gluten, sugar, meat (except fish), and basically all processed foods for 45 dys, I became pregnant. Unfortunately, I miscarried.

I totally believe the research that indicates certain foods cause inflammation in some people. I think by limiting myself to certain foods I basically kept my body asleep and none of those antagonist cells were activated. This allowed implantation to happen.

I keep seeing research that indicates relaxation is important to calm inflammation so I've added jogging, not that I love it but I actually feel better and have started to look forward to it.

I also read up on Fertiliblend (sp?), which is supposed to increase fertility but the prices were crazy so I just looked up the ingredients and added those to my list of supplements.

The book The Infertility Cure by Randine Lewis has been helpful to me bc it confirmed what I suspected about my body, and it offered a lot of helpful advice. Your local library should have it.

I completely agree with you about the inflammation/relaxation factor skimomma. I have arthritis in my knees and have had surgery (I'm only 38). Now that I have this condition I'm very aware about how inflammation effects my body, and fertility too! I take salmon and epo morning & night and suck back lots of turmeric/ginger tea. Getting rid of carbs & sugar also really brings down inflammation, I can see the difference in my face (it's THAT apparent if I eat pasta or bread). I now view them as a complete no-no.

Much study has convinced me of the relationship between food, exercise/relaxation, and fertility especially for those who have endometriosis like me. When I eliminated dairy, gluten, sugar, meat (except fish), and basically all processed foods for 45 dys, I became pregnant. Unfortunately, I miscarried.

I totally believe the research that indicates certain foods cause inflammation in some people. I think by limiting myself to certain foods I basically kept my body asleep and none of those antagonist cells were activated. This allowed implantation to happen.

I keep seeing research that indicates relaxation is important to calm inflammation so I've added jogging, not that I love it but I actually feel better and have started to look forward to it.

I also read up on Fertiliblend (sp?), which is supposed to increase fertility but the prices were crazy so I just looked up the ingredients and added those to my list of supplements.

The book The Infertility Cure by Randine Lewis has been helpful to me bc it confirmed what I suspected about my body, and it offered a lot of helpful advice. Your local library should have it.

Hi there - I did look at fertilityblend too but just wasn't able to buy at those kind of prices.....
Thanks for the recommendations of the book - will have a nose :thumbup:

I completely agree with you about the inflammation/relaxation factor skimomma. I have arthritis in my knees and have had surgery (I'm only 38). Now that I have this condition I'm very aware about how inflammation effects my body, and fertility too! I take salmon and epo morning & night and suck back lots of turmeric/ginger tea. Getting rid of carbs & sugar also really brings down inflammation, I can see the difference in my face (it's THAT apparent if I eat pasta or bread). I now view them as a complete no-no.

I completely forgot about my acne! Before I started ttcing I was on a heap of drugs for acne and they kept my face beautiful, but I had to stop and it all came back. But when I eliminated just the sugar, my face became almost as smooth as when I was on the drugs. Not quite but almost. Unbelievable. After all those years of treatment and drs claiming there was no relationship b/w sugar and acne. Erm, right.

[/QUOTE]Hi there - I did look at fertilityblend too but just wasn't able to buy at those kind of prices.....
Thanks for the recommendations of the book - will have a nose :thumbup:[/QUOTE]

Hi Emmi, thank you so much for starting this thread. I have been ttcing for years and have tried iuis and ivf without success. The one time I did become pregnant was unassisted so I'm thinking diet and exercise are the final frontier in a Star Trek kind of way. :winkwink:

I'm intrigued by high dose of magnesium (400mg) in Fertiliblend. Not sure what it does-will have to research. Also, selenium is 70 mcg, which is interesting. Off to research...

Hi Skimomma - I have been in such a big black hole of despair since my failed IVF - it's only been about 2 weeks now so I am still so fragile and desperate. I cry so much:cry: But one thing that I can do is look at nutrition and suppliments and see if that can help. I am a regular swimmer but haven't been able to face the world since the IVF failing but will get back on the horse so to speak next week..My exercise is gentle but consistant - was the kid at school that hated physical exercise!!!:bike:

Not sure what selenium is for but I know that brazil nuts is high in it.

Just out of interest to you and everyone else - what does your hubby/partner think of your research? Do they support and research with you or do they wish that you would just chill???

Just curious!!:flower:

Hi Skimomma - I have been in such a big black hole of despair since my failed IVF - it's only been about 2 weeks now so I am still so fragile and desperate. I cry so much:cry: But one thing that I can do is look at nutrition and suppliments and see if that can help. I am a regular swimmer but haven't been able to face the world since the IVF failing but will get back on the horse so to speak next week..My exercise is gentle but consistant - was the kid at school that hated physical exercise!!!:bike:

Just out of interest to you and everyone else - what does your hubby/partner think of your research? Do they support and research with you or do they wish that you would just chill???

Hi Emmi, ((((((hugs))))) Take your time to mourn and work through your emotions.

So now I'm playing around with food and supplements with an understanding that I'm doing it for my general health and if a baby comes out of it, great. That's the way I have to think about it to avoid monthly devastation. So far, so good. KWIM:flower:

On research: dh is a supporter bc he has seen how my health has improved (including the acne)!

Hi Emmi, ((((((hugs))))) Take your time to mourn and work through your emotions. I couldn't come back to this board for over a year and when I did I reregistered bc I couldn't deal with the hope I had and that I placed in science/art. It was just too painful to deal with.

So now I'm playing around with food and supplements with an understanding that I'm doing it for my general health and if a baby comes out of it, great. That's the way I have to think about it to avoid monthly devastation. So far, so good. KWIM:flower:

On research: dh is a supporter bc he has seen how my health has improved (including the acne)!

Thank you - :hugs: it is so hard......I had a great bunch of cycle buddies on here but what happens when they all their BFPs and you don't......It's so painful as they naturally are wanting to shout their news from the rafters whilst I just want to curl up and disappear.....

I am struggling with advice that people seem to think is their place to be giving me.....I don't want any advice - I just want understanding that I am grieving but I haven't given up hope....

My hubby has been fabulous and I think that he is just happy that I am putting some energy into be doing something positive for both of us - it surely can only be beneficial!

Hi there - I did look at fertilityblend too but just wasn't able to buy at those kind of prices.....
Thanks for the recommendations of the book - will have a nose :thumbup:[/QUOTE]

Hi Emmi, thank you so much for starting this thread. I have been ttcing for years and have tried iuis and ivf without success. The one time I did become pregnant was unassisted so I'm thinking diet and exercise are the final frontier in a Star Trek kind of way. :winkwink:

I'm intrigued by high dose of magnesium (1200mg) in Fertiliblend. Not sure what it does-will have to research. Also, selenium is 210 mcg, which is interesting. Off to research...[/QUOTE]

There is a really great site that has NHS studies on all of these supplements and their effects on fertility. Unfortunately it's all under research into miscarriage but I've found that many of the studies are simply geared towards live pregnancy ratio and the studies tell you overall what that supplement does, which helped me make informed decisions:
https://sites.google.com/site/miscarriageresearch/vitamins-and-miscarriage/selenium
Also, what kind of drugs were you on for acne? Accutaine has been taken off the market and had many many class action lawsuits due to it's terrible side effects. Many people believe infertility is one of them. If you google it there are loads of people who now can't conceive after taking it.

I can really relate to you with the depression around IF. All of my friends have these beautiful families and their kids are teenagers now. I feel like I've really missed out, I look at their kids and they are SO beautiful. I suck up every word they say and the parents are like yea yea, I think they have the most amazing little perspectives on the world!

Wow - interesting stuff about selenium!!! I just need to find the money though for it all......It all seems a bit unfair when some women that don't deserve babas get pregnant at the drop of a hat but we have to do what we do.

Totally understand about how you feel being around your friends children - they are so full of magic and wonder. I have 2 little nephews aged 3 and 4 and their chatter is hilarious! I love to listen to them and it doesn't hurt so much as they are part of me but I just keep wondering when it will be my turn.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->