Tips on Getting LO To Take a Dummy?

Jemima

Mother of One
Reaction score
As the title says really...

I would like to get Poppy to take a dummy, just so I can space out her feeds a little and keep her occupied when I can't get round to feeding her straight away for whatever reason but she just keeps spitting it out.

I have tried the CLN ones and the Avent ones and, so far, no joy. Did anyone else have the same problem and, if so, what did you do to encourage your LO to take it :baby:?

Thanks xx

Same here at first jayden would take a dummy for a little bit but now every time i put it in his mouth he spits it out xx

Hiya ive just have been on the internet and found out some tips hope this helps ive just copied and pasted it from a website....

Some parents notive that their baby immediately starts to suck on the pacifier when they put it in his mouth and then tap it lightly with a finger nail. Another trick is to shake the pacifier a little bit inside the baby's mouth. Both these tricks stimulate the baby's instinct to suckle.

Try when your baby is content
It is very tempting to try the pacifier in some desperate situation when the baby is crying at the top of his lungs.

Forget it!

No one, baby or adult, appreciates to get an unknown object shoved into his mouth when upset.

Let the baby get used to the pacifier when he is a little bit tired or show signs to want to suckle. But not when he is starving or too tired!

Try different kinds
So, which is the best pacifier? Well, the answer is that the best pacifier is the one that the baby likes! There are all sorts of different pacifier styles and materials that you can offer your baby. He might not like the first one you choose.
All my children have preferred pacifiers made of latex, rather than silicone. Don't know why, maybe it is because they are slightly softer.

But there are really no baby pacifiers that are harmful for your baby's teeth today. Just pick and choose the style you (and your baby) like.

Be patient
Even when the baby is old enough for a pacifier according to the recommendation, there is no guarantee that the baby is ready. It may work immediately, after some time or never. All kids are different. Try every other day or so and not when your baby is crying hysterically.

hope this helps xx

I bought CTN dummys and Jacob hated them but I bought the tommee tippee cherry ones with the big round ends on them and he loves them and there only £2.60 for 3!

x

Alexa would never take a soother-which I was actually happy about because I'll never have to wean her off of it, which apparently is hard. Some babies just don't take to them-especially breastfed babies. OH has tried several different soothers as well as one for breastfed babies, and none of them worked for her. You could try letting her suck on your finger for a bit, but when he is hungry, he is going to want milk, and will definitely let you know it, sookie or no sookie.

Some babies just dont take them hun , My first did but Ella didnt , would constantly spit them out! :)

personally leeon did take them but since he got to about 7 months he only uses a dummy for bedtime but if baby wont take it its kinda a good thing really as you wont have the problem of getting it off them lol

Caitlyn screams if I put a dummy in her mouth. I've tried EVERYTHING. Some babies just won't x

hiya sounds like your little one just doesnt want to take a dummy my middle child was like that some babies just dont like em

jack hates dummys and bottle teats no way ie he taking one x

Try putting a bit of Infacol on the dummy, its an ideal way of giving them the dummy and a dose of infacol before a feed. I do this with Sam, sometimes he´ll take the dummy and other times will spit it out, depends if he wants it or not.

Maybe yours just doesn´t want a dummy.

Mine never took dummies, I just spaced feeds 5 mins longer apart each day so they gradually got used to it.

Mine won't take a soother either. I keep trying because she sucks her thumb but she spits it back out and goes back to her thumb. As much as she doesn't want it I wish she'd take it because I can't take her thumb away from her like I could a soother

Thanks girls. Perhaps I should just get used to the idea that she won't take one! x

No tips sorry, but isn't it harder to wean your LO off a dummy in the long run? have you tried letting LO suck there fingers while their waiting?

No tips sorry, but isn't it harder to wean your LO off a dummy in the long run? have you tried letting LO suck there fingers while their waiting?

I know there are differing opinions but I think it works the other way - I gave my girls dummies and found getting it off my eldest pretty easy. I did it in stages; only in the house, only at bed time etc, then we had 3 nights of kicking off then when she realised I wasnt giving in, she was fine. My Mum didnt give us dummies and so we sucked our fingers....I sucked mine till I was 11 and had to sleep on my arm and paint that nail biting stuff on them.....my sister sucked hers when tired till she was....20!!!!!!!!!!!! The dentist refused her a brace to straighten her teeth because of it.

Jemima - like everyone says, try other kinds first. Hebe hated CTN but will take Avent. My mates LO would only take the cheapo ones with the big cherry ends!! When Hebe is using my boob as a soother I get the dummy and switch over but leave her against the boob. I also tap the dummy - dunno why but its always helped for some unknown reason. xx

Once again, thanks for all the different opinions and viewpoints. xx

I think its easier to wean them off a dummy as you cant take their fingers away... my SIL is 25 and still sucks her fingers!:dohh: x

I know there are differing opinions but I think it works the other way - I gave my girls dummies and found getting it off my eldest pretty easy. I did it in stages; only in the house, only at bed time etc, then we had 3 nights of kicking off then when she realised I wasnt giving in, she was fine. My Mum didnt give us dummies and so we sucked our fingers....I sucked mine till I was 11 and had to sleep on my arm and paint that nail biting stuff on them.....my sister sucked hers when tired till she was....20!!!!!!!!!!!! The dentist refused her a brace to straighten her teeth because of it.

Jemima - like everyone says, try other kinds first. Hebe hated CTN but will take Avent. My mates LO would only take the cheapo ones with the big cherry ends!! When Hebe is using my boob as a soother I get the dummy and switch over but leave her against the boob. I also tap the dummy - dunno why but its always helped for some unknown reason. xx

Totally agree.

my sister is 20, only one of us not to of had to dummy and she still sucks her thumb now!!!

callum will only take the cheapy dummys with the big fat cherry teats, spits the other ones out.

ciaran would not take a dummy when he was born so my friend told me to try the cherry teats he took to them very good :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Serenity123
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->