To anyone that has been around radio/chemotherepy when pregnant

Louisex

Reaction score
A few of you know, my mother is undergoing chemo and radiotherapy due to cervical / lymf node (sp) cancer, I was told to keep from her for 72 hours as im pregnany when she has the radiotherapy but now they have said its now ok to go near her, as awful as it sounds even though they said that I am still very worried about going near her just incase it effects the baby, ive read what it can do to the unborn child, but they said im safe now but im still very worried they said, it was only for the first dose of radio as it contained the highest level.
If they have it wrong and somthing happens i would never ever forgive myself, i imagine it now in the news 'Hospital Blunder' like we see so often.

Can anyone help, i know its a long shot, but has anyone been pregnant and been near cancer paitents while they had radiotherapy/chemo?

If i do avoid her it will be for another 5 weeks as thats how mych treatment she has left, although i will be sending her flowers, making her food that my partner will take to her and send down goodies ect but would still be feeling guilty if all is ok and i could go near her all along.

Sorry to go on.

Thanks

I have no help for you in the slightest, my mum had breast cancer when i was pregnant with DD but she lived 300 miles away and she didnt tell me about the cancer or about what she was going through as she didnt want to worry me and she didnt want me going near her after the chemo just incase. I felt awful afterwards for not knowing, not being there and not being able to comfort her and be there as a friend and daughter, tho i know if i knew i would of been there with her as soon as the staff said it was fine, but i probably wouldnt of thought about the complications it could of caused until afterwards and i know i would of been wracked with guilt up until i knew baby was ok, so i know how you feel but i dont have any help, sorry!! i think its up to you what to do and as long as your mum knows your reasons why your not visiting and she knows your thinking of her (which obv you are by sending flowers and food) then its fine, im sure she will understand xxx

My mum has had radiotherapy 3 times during my pregnancy so far and she asked if it was ok to be around me afterwards and her consultant reassured us all that it is completely fine. I even went with her for one of her appointments as they were weeks apart. The type she had was one large dose rather than the continued smaller doses over a number of days/weeks, which she has had before. Her doctor made me feel at ease about it and I've still been around her. I think if you feel uncomfortable with it then I'm sure your mum would rather you stayed away and just kept in touch via phone, but I don't think there is a risk. Hope this helps x

I have no advice for you hun...just wanted to say I'm sorry that you're going through this! :hugs:

Thanks ladies, you have helped.
She is really missing my me and my daughter, she has just text me as she is there having it done now and said the doctors are posting me a letter confirming that it is safe for me to be around her, i think this will put me at ease.

Thanks Sherileigh, means alot xxx

I know its different but when I was 15 weeks pregnant my daughter had to have radioactive put into her. I wasnt allowed to touch or cuddle her for 24 hours as thats how long it took to get out of her system. I was however in the room with her as they were putting it in her cannular and I was in the same room with her throughout just not direct contact iykwim? You wouldnt believe the amount of times I asked them to make sure it was definately ok for me to be near her. I was also told its better that I was 2nd tri not 1st tri as the limbs etc are fully formed.

Sorry youre going through this :( :hugs:

thanks hun, thats helped xxx

Cant thank your replies enough.

Im sure it will all get worked out, this year is the best but worst of my life.
The best as im having my bundle of joy and the worst as since xmas and when my mother was diagnosed its been hell, but like i told her hang on in there and be strong as this year might be hell but next year is going to be OUR year. She is so brave, shes not moaned once since she was diagnosed, i dont know where she gets the strength from x

I just wanted to say that I know every circumstance of cancer is different but if my mum's story can give anyone a bit of hope then I hope it does for you. My mum was diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer 5 and half years ago. She was told she didn't have long but they gave her radiotherapy and she improved significantly. Since then her cancer has spread all over, brain tumours have been the biggest trouble for the past 3 years but they have kept giving her treatment, radio and chemo, here and there whenever it has arose and she is still going strong. Obviously I'm aware everyone is different, but having been around a lot of cancer patients since her diagnosis I have seen that being positive and not giving in really does have a huge effect on how the person recovers. My mum won't get better but she's had more time than anyone could have imagined and I do think that has been down to her attitude. Certainly the medical professions can't understand how she's kept going. You having your baby would be a huge influence on her and I bet she gets her strength from you! I really hope all works out for you and your family, will be thinking of you x

I think it's fine to be around her...

My love to her I hope she finished her treatment soon so she can fully enjoy her grand child.:hugs:

my mum has had chemo and radio but no one said anything to me.

If she is having internal radiation therapy, then you will need to stay away from her for a while. If it is external then you don't need to worry.

from: https://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/coping/radiation-therapy-and-you/page4
What happens while the radiation is in place?
Your visitors will also need to follow safety measures, which may include:
Not having visits from children younger than 18 and pregnant women.

from: https://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/coping/radiation-therapy-and-you/page3
Will external beam radiation therapy make me radioactive? No, external beam radiation therapy does not make people radioactive. You may safely be around other people, even babies and young children.

I just wanted to say that I know every circumstance of cancer is different but if my mum's story can give anyone a bit of hope then I hope it does for you. My mum was diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer 5 and half years ago. She was told she didn't have long but they gave her radiotherapy and she improved significantly. Since then her cancer has spread all over, brain tumours have been the biggest trouble for the past 3 years but they have kept giving her treatment, radio and chemo, here and there whenever it has arose and she is still going strong. Obviously I'm aware everyone is different, but having been around a lot of cancer patients since her diagnosis I have seen that being positive and not giving in really does have a huge effect on how the person recovers. My mum won't get better but she's had more time than anyone could have imagined and I do think that has been down to her attitude. Certainly the medical professions can't understand how she's kept going. You having your baby would be a huge influence on her and I bet she gets her strength from you! I really hope all works out for you and your family, will be thinking of you x

Thanks so much Hun for sharing this with me. You are spot on each case is different. I just want to say your mum sounds like an inspiration to all and proves life should never be taken for granted she really is a remarkable lady. I will tell my mum about her. Sending you and your mum love and all my best wishes. Thanks again for sharing x

Sorry to hear you are going through this. My MIL had breast cancer two years ago then in March this year they found a tumour on her brain. She had radiotherapy which did shrink the tumour but they have since found cancer in her lungs. She has started chemotherapy for that. As someone said, you being pregnant will give her great strength and hope.
I hadn't heard anything about this and am sure I was around MIL quite a bit after her radiotherapy.

i'm a community nurse and work alot with people receiving chemo and radiotherapy. The only health and safety advice I have been given is to not to put myself at any possible contact risk with the chemotherapy ( patients come home with a wee bottle of chemo that we disconnect later in their own home). No one has ever mentioned any issue about being exposed to people after a radiotherapy dose. I really hope your mum gets good effect from her treatment, postive things such as loving families and babies give people so much strength to do remarkable and often unexpected things

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->