to cloth or not to cloth, that is ze qvestion!

mrscookie

Mama and expecting
Reaction score
Hi girls!
Im contemplating cloth nappies, the bambino mio ones if possible but I just wanted to know your OWN personal reasons for choosing cloth or disposable, and why.

I hope to save money by doing this.. you can get nappies that have velcro and go up to 2 years plus for the same set apparently. But would the washing machine and tumble drier bump up my bills so much that it would not be worth while.

I also want to save the animals and all that :D im soo green! Well, im trying to start anyway! Help guys x:hug:

I have been thinking about the same thing as well. I would also love to hear first hand experiences of the cloth ones. The only hesitation I have with them is that I might find them a bit of a palarva opposed to the disposables.

I'm going to be using cloth ones, both for financial and 'green' reasons

There's a website called babykind https://www.babykind.co.uk/ which gives some comparison of the savings, they don't factor in washing though. From what I understand you can wash every day or every other day but this will depend on how many nappies you buy. A full load with be about 12-15 nappies I think.
Also important is whether you plan to line dry or tumble dry,and this will impact the type of nappy you buy as some take longer to dry than others.

I've got a shortlist of 3 makes that I think will be good for me, so I'll order one of each shortly, wash them and see which ones I think I'll find easiest to use

There's also twinkle on the web & kittykins, that have got loads of info and a questionnaire to give you suggestions for which type might suit you

https://www.twinkleontheweb.co.uk/
https://www.kittykins.co.uk/

It is a lot of money to spend out at once, so I'm thinking that I won't buy loads before the baby comes and use ecofriendly disposables for a short time whilst I try out the cloth ones

we are doing cloth to save money and such. oh and they are just so darn cute :lol:. it has become an obsession almost now :rofl:

going to use prefolds and snappis in the newborn/small stage, and will add one-size pockets and a mixture small and medium pockets as she gets bigger.

electric and water isn't too big of a concern for me (i live in base housing and so that is free for the most part). You could always line-dry to save energy on a sunny day!!! But from what i've read around, energy/water doesn't go up *that* up, $10 maybe a month? not 100% sure as it's only what i've read around!

There's lots of posts on cloth nappies in the eco forum bit, only found it the other day!

My sister has cloth nappies for her baby and they dry really quickly, no need to tumble dry. Then again she does have an Aga to hang them over, but even so I reckon they'd dry overnight.

We're going to use reusable nappies! Really to do our bit for the environment, but saving a bit of money along the way will help! Not sure which type yet as still researching it! Will let you know which ones we decide on! xx

Im disposibles im afraid im too lazy is the truth of it!

Ooh I'm off to the eco forum for some more research!

Thanks Faerie

...comes back embarrassed cos I can't find the eco forum:oops:

it's here:
https://www.babyandbump.com/eco-friendly-products-services/

I'm deffo going cloth, there is a nappy cleaning service near us which I hope to use- we know our neighbour does, I've seen them drop off the clean nappies and collect the dirties. I'll might get my own later, some of them dry really quickly and we have a washing line, i don't think you need to tumble often with the fleecy ones. After all, my mum did it all with terry towelling living in a caravan.

hopefully that will save money, and not fill up land fills with plastics that take thousands of years to decompose :D

i used disposables for the first month then terry towling ones till rosie started crawling, i was lucky that i had a huge washing line backing on to open fields and dried my nappies in half hour, it was easy but did cheat if i went out anywhere just for conveinience and sometimes at night.
i'm undecided this time but will prob do the same again as it was really easy after the first week.

:blush::blush::blush::blush:

My experience is....I tried quite a few with Lauren and Abi but they always seemed to leak or be so bulky under clothes that you could barely pull their trousers/skirts on over the top. They seemed to create tonnes more washing coz I was changing babies clothes at least twice a day as well as washing all the nappies.

I tried...
Tots Bots
Bambino Mio
Kushies
Motherease

I think my favourite was probably Motherease but I still gave up using them as to me the cloth nappy seemed nowhere near as "environmentally friendly" as they make out coz of the extra energy, detergent etc and in the winter....I couldn't get them to dry properly in time for when I needed them so inevitably I would end up chucking them in the dryer to finish them off and soften them too:blush:

I tried a few times with Toby but gave up very quickly and sold them all to a friend:blush:

I use disposables now:blush:

I plan to use cloth for financial & eco reasons but I don't want to be a martyr to the cause!
I plan to buy some newborn eco firendly disposables as I'm assuming I'll have enough to think about bringing a new baby home without worrying about keeping on top of the washing. :laundry:
After that I think I'll use the eco disposables if we are going out for the day just so that I don't have to carry round soiled nappies until I get home. I'll keep a stash of these at home too in case of emergencies :hangwashing: :iron:
I've got two older sisters who used traditional square terries with nappy pins and I've helped with their 4 kids nappy changes. I'm really hoping to cope with these new modern versions as well as they did with the old ones :shrug:

We're getting disposables initially as it'll be lots easier not having to worry about getting them washed (might have loads of stitches etc!) and we've been getting loads of free stuff and nappy bargains with all the vouchers and things shops do (free changing bag, 2 free baby and mother packs, free huggies newborn pack) so we've got loads already from doing that.

Might switch to cloth nappies after that but it depends where we're living I think (i.e. if there's a washing line / radiators to dry things on etc).

We're going to try the diaper free baby (spotting when LO needs to go to the toilet and taking them) thing so hopefully we'll save a few nappies doing that if we can work out what we're doing.

x

I'm going disposable(sorry mother earth). I found that it was just plain easier!

The eco-friendly disposable don't seem to be much/any more expensive than normal disposables? It's just a case of finding them I guess. I will definitely be using those in the hospital and for going out and about, but I want to use cloth. Apart from eco/financial reasons, I had so many skin problems when I was a child and I'm hoping using non-perfumed and organic products will help prevent my child from having the same issues.

The eco-friendly disposable don't seem to be much/any more expensive than normal disposables? It's just a case of finding them I guess. I will definitely be using those in the hospital and for going out and about, but I want to use cloth. Apart from eco/financial reasons, I had so many skin problems when I was a child and I'm hoping using non-perfumed and organic products will help prevent my child from having the same issues.

Yeah, they're usually unbleached too. I'm sure I've seen some in the usual supermarkets and I know you can get them online. I've used this site lots

https://www.thegreenstoreonline.co..../-1?c=19&k=9&gclid=CObPvt2siJYCFQocQgodVnKeFA

Although have been buying the normal disposables lately coz got tonnes on offer:blush:

i've got bambino mio ones, got the big pack from babies r us. we're going to use disposables at first and then when we're going out and stuff. hopefully i'll get on ok with them!!

i've got bambino mio ones, got the big pack from babies r us. we're going to use disposables at first and then when we're going out and stuff. hopefully i'll get on ok with them!!

Alice, dunno if you were planning on using the more environmentally friendly disposables (no pressure:rofl:) but just thought I'd let you know of a lovely, lovely eco type store called The Unicorn in Chorlton. It's fab for fair trade and eco-friendly produce, dried foods, pulses etc too with less packaging. Here's the link if you wanna look:hug:

https://www.qype.co.uk/place/77089-The-Unicorn-Manchester

im using reusables for personal reasons really, i just dont like disposables i think they smell weird before they are even used they feel funny i really dont like them.
the green side is just a plus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->