to cloth or not to cloth, that is ze qvestion!

Im with UV, as well as the eco reasons I just dont like the idea of putting that many chemicals next to my baby's skin. I mean you wouldnt do it with clothes right? I have a few of lots of different types to try inc terry's, tie ons (disana), prefolds and a couple of shaped nappies. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Oh and the more expensive types (ie kushies, tots bots etc) are just as easy to use as disposables...although obviously you do have to wash them!

We're using cloth too, pre-folded ones. No, they're never going to be as leak-proof as disposables, because they are absorbant cloth, not plastic!!

Bamboo ones are naturally anti-fungal too, so dramatically reduce nappy rash and infections. They're also really soft and much more absorbant than cotton.

Even factoring in the laundry costs, Little Lamb reckons you save over £600 buying real nappies, rather than disposables.

Frieds of ours who recommended Little Lamb have said that motherease wraps are better for containing leaks. I might mix and match as I love the LL ones, they look so fluffy and soft!

As for fitting clothes over them, I intend to just buy slightly bigger clothes than for LO's age!

We'll also be using eco-friendly disposables for the first few weeks and for when we're out and about.

i've got bambino mio ones, got the big pack from babies r us. we're going to use disposables at first and then when we're going out and stuff. hopefully i'll get on ok with them!!

Alice, dunno if you were planning on using the more environmentally friendly disposables (no pressure:rofl:) but just thought I'd let you know of a lovely, lovely eco type store called The Unicorn in Chorlton. It's fab for fair trade and eco-friendly produce, dried foods, pulses etc too with less packaging. Here's the link if you wanna look:hug:

https://www.qype.co.uk/place/77089-The-Unicorn-Manchester

well atm all i've got is some own brand disposable ones that we've been given by people that's babies have grown out of them. someone's given me some natural ones too that she said she didnt like cos they smelt of wee hehe! i'll have a look at that site tho, ta xx

Uhm i've read so many bad things about bambino mio nappies I'd wanted to get them cos they are soooooooooooo the cutest!!! But i looked into it and totsbots seem to be the best in reviews.. :lol: I'm using them for financial reasons and cos they are soooo sweet :)

My sister is using the mothercare own brand ones. They're not pretty as others as they're just plain (though sure you could buy wraps) but they're very slimline and she's happy with them, no leaks and cheap.

We're going to use cloth nappies but haven't decided which ones yet. Our reasons are quite simple - to help protect the environment and to save us some pennies. What more reason is needed? :)

thanks for your input gals! Im off to do reasearch! back later :)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

thanks for your input gals! Im off to do reasearch! back later :)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I'd recommend trying a few different trial packs before you buy the whole birth to potty packs:hugs:....just in case

where can I get trial packs from babe?
I was looking at the totsbots ones, those seem best on reviews and that xxx

I've never really given much thought to this before I saw this thread..

With reusable ones, how much extra washing do you think you'll get? At the moment I only have to do 2-3 loads a week (which I know will go through the roof once bubs in here anyway) but I don't want to be washing every day.

Is it possible to soak them in the bath / sink to clean them or have they gotta go through the washing machine? Sorry, probably really stupid questions but I have absolutely no experience with cloth nappies at all.

And how long do they last with all that washing?

I've never really given much thought to this before I saw this thread..

With reusable ones, how much extra washing do you think you'll get? At the moment I only have to do 2-3 loads a week (which I know will go through the roof once bubs in here anyway) but I don't want to be washing every day.

Is it possible to soak them in the bath / sink to clean them or have they gotta go through the washing machine? Sorry, probably really stupid questions but I have absolutely no experience with cloth nappies at all.

And how long do they last with all that washing?

I think you'll probably end up washing every day anyway! lol

They last plenty well. I think terry towels must last almost forever! They do need washing properly but if you use a biodegradable liner you throw away poo in it so they can be washed at a normal temperature with everything else.

Most reusables need washing at 60 degrees to get them really clean and if you line dry them in the sun it helps prevent staining. I've heard that Bumbletots ones shrink in the wash, so I'd steer clear of those.

You go through about 10 a day in the first couple of months, meaning washing a load every day if you have a set of 20 (10 will be a full load in most washing machines). That then evens out to an average of 6 a day for the rest of your child's nappy career.

You can get trial packs from most online retailers. Little Lamb to trials of all of their range, Mothercare also do single packs of the Smart Nappy System.

I'm really struggling to decide which brand to go for. See my thread here if you have any advice to chip in: https://www.babyandbump.com/eco-friendly-products-services/60802-brand.html

where can I get trial packs from babe?
I was looking at the totsbots ones, those seem best on reviews and that xxx

I got them from the normal online shops that sell the birth to potty packs or got a tots bots one from the company it'self. I think Boots and Mothercare may do a trial one too...just one nappy, wrap and a liner or two if I rememeber correctly.

There is an online trial service (cant rememebr which site but google may help) that will send you out one of each that you want to try for about 1.50 a nappy. If you by through them after you get that refunded! Bargin. It may be nappylady...?

We're using cloth too, pre-folded ones. No, they're never going to be as leak-proof as disposables, because they are absorbant cloth, not plastic!!

Bamboo ones are naturally anti-fungal too, so dramatically reduce nappy rash and infections. They're also really soft and much more absorbant than cotton.

Even factoring in the laundry costs, Little Lamb reckons you save over £600 buying real nappies, rather than disposables.

Frieds of ours who recommended Little Lamb have said that motherease wraps are better for containing leaks. I might mix and match as I love the LL ones, they look so fluffy and soft!

As for fitting clothes over them, I intend to just buy slightly bigger clothes than for LO's age!

We'll also be using eco-friendly disposables for the first few weeks and for when we're out and about.

I have gone for the little lamb nappy kit 20 x bamboo nappies etc see here: https://www.littlelamb.co.uk/itemdetl.php/itemprcd/Bamboo-Nappy-Kit-20

I have gone for the little lamb nappy kit 20 x bamboo nappies etc see here: https://www.littlelamb.co.uk/itemdetl.php/itemprcd/Bamboo-Nappy-Kit-20

I was all set to get that exact set until I heard that the wraps don't contain leaks very well :-(

haven't seen it mentioned here - but your local council (probably waste/environment dept) sometimes give out a voucher (£30 ish) to lower income families/provide links to free/cheap trials of kits etc to encourage you to use reusables.

well i was set on cloth nappies, however, both my gandmothers soon changed my mind.. one of my grandmothers used to live in a big tower block of flats when she had my dad (45 years ago about) and there was no way of drying these nappies in a small flat.. at the time there wasnt any other options but it made life very awkward thats for sure... we are in the same boat.. we live in 2nd floor flat with no garden. we have a small balcony, but literally you couldnt even swing a cat on it, and dont fancy having radiators that are constantly covered in wet nappies!!! if circumstances were different then i'd definately like to do it the natural way, but i think at the moment my plan is to make it as easy as possible, as i'm sure having a new baby will come with enough stress of its own, without having to worry about hanging nappies on the line. perhaps once i've got some sort of routine going a few months after baby is born i will change my mind, but for the time being i will just have to continue being green in other ways... i recycle anyway, so i'm doing a little bit for the planet!! :)

sorry to go off on one anyway. i hope you come to a decision that suits you and your lifestyle. good luck! :)

haven't seen it mentioned here - but your local council (probably waste/environment dept) sometimes give out a voucher (£30 ish) to lower income families/provide links to free/cheap trials of kits etc to encourage you to use reusables.

Many councils do offer an incentive and it's to anyone who claims it, not just low income families.

I was all set to get that exact set until I heard that the wraps don't contain leaks very well :-(

Oh dear! i havent read that anywhere myself as yet :( I have only read really good things - however i honestly think that there are going to be good and bad points about all of these nappies - everyone has their own opinion and they seem to work differently for different people. I didnt want to wait till babs got here to trial a range of nappies and then bulk buy (want to be more organised and spend as little as possible while on maternity leave) so i bit the bullet. I suppose you only get 5wraps in that kit anyways so theres nothing stopping you from buying wraps from other ranges.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->