To Jumperoo or not to Jumperoo!

PrincessPea

Mummy to Jessica
Reaction score
Hey Ladies

I know Jessica is still a bit small but just out of interest - when we were in the hospital the other week I noticed they had a poster up that said babies, especially prem babies, shouldn't use jumperoos, or you know the ones that hang on the door frames, or baby walkers as it encourages babies to put their weight on their toes and this therefore can work against them when they are learning to walk.

However I know that they NHS arent always right :)dohh:) so just wondered if any of you ladies had used any of these for your LO's?

Thanks in advance.

We were told this about the walkers, but Sophie has a door bouncer and a jumperoo...the health visitor (for what she's worth!) told us they were fine and that it was just the walkers that were not a good idea. I get really paranoid putting Sophie in her door bouncer though because she keeps aiming for the door frame in it! I'm only really happy with her in her actual jumperoo. She got the door bouncer for christmas from her grandad and has only used it a couple of times. She is ok in the jumperoo though - her feet do go properly onto the floor! xx

I was a boring mummy and followed the guidelines and didn't use anything.

We have the door bouncers which harry loves and i really wanted to get a jumperoo and a walker but was convinced by my mum and the doctor not 2 :(

I've never heard that guidance before. My LO has a jumperoo - he was only 5 weeks early though.
xx

Personally I havent used them from recommendation from my DD's physio. i think its because they promote such things like tip toe walking and movement patterns that potentially slow natural development. I am totally sure most kids are fine with them (my nephew had a walker and walked at 9 months) but for babies like my DD, who may have difficulty with walking anyway (she had an IVH), I think they discourage using them. Tummy time is key...if I can get her to stay!!!!

Wow I'm kind of miffed I've not been given that advice :o

Leo has a door bouncer and an activity centre.. no jumperoo but we were considering getting a walker as he likes to be on his feet... maybe not then!

Its not something I had ever heard before until we saw that poster, thats why I thought I would ask and see if anyone else had heard this etc. We would have gone ahead and got these things otherwise, maybe not now. xx

I was told it was just the walkers to watch out for, its to do with muscle tone i believe.

Alex had a jumperoo, total godsend. She had an IVH too, and has spent all day today on her feet :)

Thanks dear, a jumperoo might be the way to go then. Its so hard to know what to do for the best!

I secretly believe a jumperoo benefited her.

And my rainforest collection :rofl:

She only just stopped using it when i found out i was pregnant again, so for a preemie they are well used!! She loved trying to reach the toys, and play with bits, and turned herself around and around. All they advise is not to use them too long, just short bursts

Im so anti walker though

so is it just prem babies that shouldnt use them? or all babies that were in nnicu? sorry im confused lol would someone explain please? lol i got Cam a bounce bounce baby (near enough the same as jumperoo) and realy dont want to damage him. he doesnt bounce in it though just sits in it lol hope everyone is well :) xxx

I would imagine the earlier the baby the more to be cautious aboot, but im no doc hun ;) im just guessing :shrug: its to do with muscle tone and development. If cameron has/needs physio i'd ask the physio, otherwise just decide yourself ;) to be honest imo 20 mins slots should be fine , i think ppl tend to take the pee and leave kids in them for donkeys and thats the concern

yeah Cam wont really stay in longer than that anyway lol ok :) thank you :) huge congrats on tori!!! xxxx

I would imagine the earlier the baby the more to be cautious aboot, but im no doc hun ;) im just guessing :shrug: its to do with muscle tone and development. If cameron has/needs physio i'd ask the physio, otherwise just decide yourself ;) to be honest imo 20 mins slots should be fine , i think ppl tend to take the pee and leave kids in them for donkeys and thats the concern

Yeah totally agree, I dont think short times in them will do any harm, just if put in them all day long! I secretly wonder myself if the jumperoo would help my DD learn to stand and sometimes the experts can follow everything to the book, hard to know. :shrug:

We are at the stage where he wants to be standing up all the time which is a bit of a pain for us to hold him all the time so we have a walker and he can sit up in that and see whats going on.Toes not able to touch the floor yet though. I'm not particularly worried and would have a door bouncer if we had suitable doors too.

Couldn't afford a jumperoo (not even second hand) and Andrew isn't very fond of his door bouncer. Didn't get a walker on the advice of his physio, who said she is against them for all babies (not just premmies) due to the toe-walking issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->