To those who have used a birthing pool at home - when did you get in the water?

Jayneypops

Mum to 2 Fairy Princesses
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a home birth planned and collected our pool yesterday. I have read that its recommended to wait until roughly 5cm dilated before getting into the pool as any earlier can slow labour down. I plan to use a tens machine in early labour.

My question is, how will I know when is the right time to get in the pool? Did you wait, or get in early on?.

Thanks
x

They use the 5cm 'rule' to make sure they get you in and out of the pool in the shortest possible time ie. Staffing/costing reasons primarily and more pertinent to hospital/birth centre birth than home. In theory if you get in the pool in good established labour, you should have your baby within 2 hours. But when you're at home in early labour and you'd be using baths as an early comfort measure, why not wallow in the pool if you have one?! No one else needs it and sometimes if you're having a long crappy early/latent phase, it can be enough to relax you so that early labour stops....well if you're knackered that might be a good thing! The difference between the pool and bath in early labour is that because the bath isn't as deep and you're not as submerged, it doesn't relax you quite as much and so generally won't slow down early labour in the way that a pool may. If you want to get in then its the right time! If it slows and you don't want it to....get out! ;)

I got in my pool when i was about 5-6 cm i ended up having a couple of examinations even though on my birth plan i said i didn't want any, luckily they didn't hurt at all.
At that staage it really soothed the pain as i'd just been breathing and walking though the contractions beforehand.

8-9cm for about 20 minutes then wanted out. i didnt enjoy it and felt really uncomfortable. i think i left it too late and transition made me feel anxious in the water. as soon as i got out i started pushing and he was born about 10 minutes after getting out.

i too was worried about labour tailing off so i requested a VE. had no idea i was as far on as i was, i thought i was maybe 5cm, not nearly 9.

8-9cm for about 20 minutes then wanted out. i didnt enjoy it and felt really uncomfortable. i think i left it too late and transition made me feel anxious in the water. as soon as i got out i started pushing and he was born about 10 minutes after getting out.

i too was worried about labour tailing off so i requested a VE. had no idea i was as far on as i was, i thought i was maybe 5cm, not nearly 9.

During transition i also felt anxious and jumped out the pool and gave birth not long after. Apart from that the water was very soothing especially at first.

When the midwives came round, they told me I was 6cm (I couldn't believe it!!) so I could get into the pool, except it took about an hour to fill up. By the time it was ready, I was ready to push, so I was only in the water for 20 minutes. It was a lovely feeling though (even though I was scared to take off the Tens at first!), and I wish I'd been in there a bit longer. x

Keep it simple. Get in when you feel you NEED to! And if it slows labour down.... just get out again.

I found that the effect of the water was IMMENSE at first, but it did wear off after a while (an hour or so?) I've heard the same from some other ladies who used a pool, too. At that point, I could have got out, moved around for a bit and then got back in and felt that relief again. But it does seem to be another plus for waiting to get in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->