To use a popular name, or not?

newmommy21

Reaction score
Ever since I can remember I have always loved the name Isabella. Now where I am from it is a very popular name, and I don't want like 5 other girls named that in her school classes.

I am just debating on whether or not to use such a popular name...I got thinking, well if we have another girl in about 3-4 years then I could use Isabella.

What is your opinion? Thanks xx

I have also been thinking about the name Matilda if Isabella doesn't work out.

Well it's a popular name for a reason! I think if you like it then it doesn't really matter either way and you could always opt for a slightly less usual middle name to make it stand out.
We're calling our daughter Lily, and I worried it might be too popular too, but my boyfriend reminded me that this is our daughter and we should call her whatever we want to call her, regardless!

xx

Our sons name is kameron.
Not a VERY popular name but incase he went to school with other little boys with the same name we spelt it the proper Scottish way with a "k" instead of Cameron.

I don't know if u can do that with Isabella?

I love Isabella also and am considering as a middle name for our 2nd girl. I'm not opposed to using common names and really love a lot of them like Isabella, Olivia, Sophia, Lily, Ella, Mia, etc. My name is Nicole and between school and cheerleading, I knew 7 other Nicole's. It never really bothered me. I feel that if you truly love the name you should go for it :flower:.

Thanks ladies!

Aviannasmommy--thanks for the advice about "first had popular name" :) :)

Our son has a popular name (though I don't know anyone else local who has a Thomas) but we love it. His middle name is much rarer and I don't know anyone in real life on here with an Emlyn. You pick names because they mean something to you not because they're popular :thumbup:

I really think if its a name you like then it shouldn't matter.. My friend goes on about not wanting name cos its common iv never been bothered! Isabella's a great name ;)

My bro and SIL had the same worry about Isabella. They were choosing it to name their daughter after a close relative, but were worried about the popularity (and also the Twilight connection!)

They decided to stick to their guns, and everyone one agrees that they made the right choice. When it comes to it, even if the name is the same, the child is completely unique - there's definitely no-one quite like our Bella!

if the name feels right for you hun then id use it. i think its a beautiful name <3

I am feeling much better about using the name, thank you soooo much ladies!

You know Heather USED to be popular. Maybe you should bring it back.
BTW its my name :haha:

:flower:

My daughter is called Isabella kitty and we tend to call her Bella. We love her name it suits her and think that is far more important than how popular the name is!

Our daughter is called Emily which has been in the top 10 most popular girls names in England for the last 100 yrs! We loved it and didn't care if it was popular, turns out people were so worried about it being popular that it didn't make the list for the first time in 2011 as people chose more unusual names. If you like it loads the you should use it, as others have said your Isabella will be completely different to all the others. xx

Issabella has some many variations too, Bella, Bella, izzy so even if they do have a class with a few if the same name in then they might get called different.

I think you just have to choose a name you love regardless of its popularity. My friend called her daughter Amelia 18 years ago when it was barely heard of. Now it's number 1 in the girls name list.

To be honest, i didnt think Isabella was very popular, not in the sense of 'theyll be tonnes of them when shes in school'. My goddaughter is an Isabella and i dont know any others! I say go for it! Personally, i like different names but thats just me cuz i like different names, if you love it then dont worry about other Bellas. The names we have atm are Alby for a boy and Quinn for a girl, i dont think they'll be any of them in there classes lol xx

It's a gorgeous name but I think where we are it's been over killed too! I know 5 babies named Isabella.... I personally prefer originality but there's no doubt it's a beautiful name :)

Popularity shouldn't be a detraction, especially if it's a name you really love. There's two sides to this coin...

one side - the child may not be happy with having five other classmates with the same name.

other side - having too rare or unusual of a name could draw teasing/bullying.

But it really comes down to you should choose a name that you love. Anything else and you're not going to be happy. I grew up hearing my mom talk about how she never really liked my first name (My dad got to choose). It was a little hard.

And if it comes right down to it, you can always give your kid the choice of using their middle name or a nickname.

I don't know what it is about Ontario but there sure seems to be a huge popularity boost in classic pretty girl names like Isabella, Emily, Sophia, Olivia, Ava, Lilly.My husband and I both love the name Emily but were torn for the same reason. Just seems like there's Emily's everywhere here. However I do think Isabella is a little less common. It's such a pretty name! I also love how you can shorten it to Bella. My hubby and I ending up liking another name more but had we not, we would of stuck with Emily because even though it's common, we love the name. :)

We are in the same boat as we like Charlotte or Rebecca for a girl.

I'd rather have a popular, traditional name than a chavvy one but each to their own!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->