To wax or not?

Shortstuff88

Mother of a beautiful boy and gorgeous girl
Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I was just wondering whether any of you ladies ever got waxed just before you’re due? I didn’t when I had my son but I such a bad tear and had a lot of aftercare to do. I was wondering whether it might help if I just had everything off just in case I tear again?

I've never waxed before having my kids, but I'd worry about the itching when the new hair does start to come back in, if there is lots of after care when that happens it might be extra miserable. Just a thought!

Good point!! May just skip that then 😂

Crop it all down to a couple of mm that should do the trick!

With my first I had it all waxed off, it didn’t itch at all and was worth it for me.
With my second I had it booked but went into labour the day before lol. I hated having it all there. I had a third degree tear. It was especially annoying with all the dried blood sticking the hair together because I couldn’t wash it down. I was numb from the legs down and a catheter had to be put in to stitch up my tear for 48 hrs after birth.

I think I did a botched shave at 38 weeks with my first, nothing with my second... 😳 I had an episiotomy then a small first degree tear, no issues with the cut, stitches or healing/aftercare. :)

No, definitely not. There is some evidence from back in the day (when shaving before birth was standard hospital procedure) that shaving increased the risk of infection, basically by introducing bacteria and also interfering with the moisture control that pubic hair affords (there's a reason we have it). Women who were shaved before birth were more likely to have uterine infections and other related complications. Now obviously, this is shaving right before birth. It probably matters less if it's a couple weeks before. Though, if it's a couple weeks before, it probably doesn't matter anyway as you will want it to be closer than that. But no, personally I wouldn't. It won't prevent you tearing or anything like that, but it might make everything more irritable or prone to infection. Midwives and doctors have seen it all, so aren't going to be bothered by a bit of pubic hair.

I have never delivered vaginally, but have had two c sections and will be have section 3 in a few weeks. With my first I shaved like a week before I knew I was going in and withbsecond I shaved morning if mybsection and they wish I didn’t and did not recommend doing that. It increases risk of infection and some other stuff. Just trim.

I just had a c section and they said I could either shave the morning of surgery or they would shave me when I was in theatre. If waxing I was told to make sure it is done a day or 2 before rather than a week as they don’t want any ingrown hairs x

I didn't with my first...thought I did a good job shaving but the nurses told me otherwise! Haha...I remember being uncomfortable last time with the stitches and stuff. I'm going to try sugaring this time. Booked for Saturday.

I actually asked my midwife this question! She said it makes no difference to their ability to stitch you up properly, so if you want to wax then go ahead, but it definitely isn't going to effect the quality of stitching if you leave yourself au natural.

I absolutely would not wax! Unless you’ve been regularly waxing throughout pregnancy you may not know this but increased blood flow to the area can make it more sensitive and hurt more! This happens as early as first tri - with my first I got a Brazilian when I was quite early on and omg the pain! :haha: I vowed never again to wax whilst pregnant. :lol: Then again, maybe this doesn’t happen to everyone, haha, don’t know until you try.

I’ve just kept it neat and trimmed for labour. My first was an emcs so a midwife came along and shaved along the top so they could operate, but it was no big deal. My second I had a third degree tear and episiotomy and I did not find my pubes got in the way or anything or that they got stuck or gross. So this time around I’m just leaving them again - had a quick trim today but that’s the extent of the grooming I will do!

I've never waxed before a birth. I didn't worry about having a full bush when I delivered in the early spring months with my first two because I figured the staff have seen it all. Also in case I tore - which I did with my first - I didn't want it to be itching up a storm when the hair started growing back. Babies #3 and #4 were summer babies so I did have a bikini cut with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->