toning up your post baby tummy- ideas pls

tristansmum

Reaction score
Right my son is 7 months and i want to tone up my tummy!!! I'm lucky to have lost most of my baby weight (apart from 3-4lbs) by just looking after Tristan. I'm back in my size 10 clothing and tummy isn't too bad but i want to tone up! I used to have a lovely flat tummy (although at the time i didn't realize it :blush: LOL).

So ladies any ideas what works??? I know it may never be quite the same again but summer is approaching! lol :dohh:

haha, yes me too, so will be stalking this thread :thumbup:

Me too. <-------stalking this thread :haha:

Me too, I need to loose my mummy tummy!! :(

stalking! though babywearing (back carrying) worked wonders for me, i haven't carried him for 4 weeks and i can tell! lol

since you can't target your belly fat specifically, anything you do is going to help! any cardio (running, walking, skip rope, jumping jacks, biking, etc), crunches, push-ups, hold the plank position, do squats while holding the baby, lunge around the house instead of walking. Everything you do, ALL day, concentrate on contracting your abs. Cut down on carbs - especially white bread and sugar, and eat lots and lots of green veggies to fill you up!

boring I know! but it's only old fashioned hard work that will do it :)

I've been going to buggyfit with Lewis and it's really helped, plus means I don't need to
Find a sitter and gets him out and about.

It's really good because I'm rubbish at keeping myself motivated but the group keeps each other going. You should try see if there is something similar in your area xx

Another stalker here :haha:
LO is 3 months now, Ive managed to get back in my pre mummy jeans :happydance: and lost quite a bit of weight by knocking out carbs but it's still wobbly.
Apparently pelvic floor excersises, 15 on the hour every hour tones your lower tum, I'm awful at remembering to do them, but this is what Abbey Clancy's personal trainer (if only,eh?) reccomends.

Also I read that sit ups are the worst things you can do as they push the weak muscles out and give you a permanant pot belly. (?)

Where are all the easy ab tricks ladies??!!

For sit ups you are meant to check if your tummy muscles are separated more than 2 fingers I think (mine are about 3). If they are over you can't do loads of things - sit ups, certain yoga moves etc - until they pull together, otherwise you just pull them further apart and make your tummy worse. If you search for diastatasis recti you can find out how to check and exercises. I would guess post natal pilates would work - I bought a DVD but haven't actually done it yet so can't confirm (blush)!

Tadpoley how do you tell how many fingers apart your muscles are?

Edited to add

Just noticed you've pointed out where to look.

Thanks x

Mines are still 2 finger widths apart :cry: and im struggling to get my flub to tone up(thats what i get for having a 15 month age gap between my kids)

Honestly feel like Homer Simpson with the belly jiggle...not pleasant.

I do 30mins-1hour most days on my exercise bike,and 10-20 crunches.I also cut my portion sizes,cut out snacking and generally just been eating better and i have only lost 4lbs.Totally sucks.

Im gonna save up some pennies and hit the gym and get some lessons on how to get my body back.Oh and been eyeing up a slender tone :thumbup:

Im not even gunna try :( i was watchim embarrasin bodies n a girl on tht had a tummy the same as mine and they said its impossible to tone she would have to have a tummy tuck :( looks like its magic knickers all the way for me :( xx

Just try and do lots of cardio, running, cycling, zumba, aerobics etc...combined with sit ups, and cutting down on sugar and carbs. It really does work!

If you find sit ups quite difficult what I do is do them on a gym ball, I find them much easier and less boring...I hate doing stomach exercises,so I get the ball out while watching the tv at night. :thumbup:

Ditch the carbs!!!
My LO is almost 4 months old and my tummy is straight back to normal. I only eat wholemeal bread and for dinner I eat NO carbs....just meat with veg.
Also sit ups are a must.
I can garentee if you cutt out carbs after 6pm and only eat brown bread/rice etc...during the day and as many sit ups as you can handle (I do Sonia Jacksons DVD - tummy section is this is brilliant) then you will have toned your tummy up in no time!
Good luck hun :) xx

Im not even gunna try :( i was watchim embarrasin bodies n a girl on tht had a tummy the same as mine and they said its impossible to tone she would have to have a tummy tuck :( looks like its magic knickers all the way for me :( xx

your not the only 1 hun :(:hugs:

Sit ups shouldn't be done till at the very least 6 months post partum otherwise you can permanent damage to the muscle. So best to leave those for now, but there are lots of other stuff you can do.

ive just started aqua aerobics again and love it ...you can take it at your own pace and is gentle on your body as your in water :) really does tone you up....+ when u tone up u loose weight....i did this b4 getting married after my 2nd dd and was gr8

edited to say: yep have those magic knickers here too lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->