Tonsillitis and breastfeeding

redlemonade

Reaction score
Ugh. So I woke up with an obvious case of tonsillitis. (I'm quite prone). I feel lousy :(

Anyway, I wondered - if I need antibiotics, how much of it is transferred to my milk? I know that many antibiotics are considered 'safe' in breastfeeding but I also don't want her to ingest ANY amount, largely because she was on antibiotics immediately after birth and I had to give her probiotics then to increase the good gut bacteria. I don't want to compromise her good gut bacteria again :cry:

Or am I overreacting? I've been feeling ill for 4 days and since yesterday it's gotten worse. Today it's clearly tonsillitis. I always try to battle these things out drug free (even when not breastfeeding) because it's potentially a virus anyway and there may be no point to antibiotics. Ugh. But it's sooo hard looking after a 3 month old when you're sick and your husband is working crazy long hours. Woe is me.

What are the chances of her getting tonsillitis? I know she gets antibodies through my milk, but still... I'm sure tonsillitis isn't contagious but I'm sure the virus/bacteria is!

Any advice? Thanks in advance :thumbup:

Ps I'm most likely run down. Any advice on what multivitamins I should take?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->