Too much folate/B12 linked to autism

greenarcher

Reaction score
https://hub.jhu.edu/2016/05/12/too-much-folate-pregnant-autism

Don't overdo it ladies!

I find these results really dubious. I read an article about these findings on Yahoo a few days ago and it really upset me. Not because my my folate/b-12 consumption had me worried about an increased risk of autism (though I took 800-1600 mcg of methylfolate a day for months prior to even conceiving)-- but for the very statement you posted on your OP. These findings are not conclusive and I'm fairly certain they aren't even making the right connections. Yet, now there are going to be loads of TTC and pregnant women who are going to ge scared about supplementing with these VERY important b-vitamins. I forsee an increase in cases of spina bifida (as well as other neural tube defects) if the panic goes mainstream. :(

The first issue I have is that they don't say what these women were taking during their pregnancies. I'd bet anything that most (if not all) were taking synthetic folic acid rather than natural or activated folate and b-12 supplements. In fact, I'd say that most of then hadn't done much beyond taking a standard prenatal and eating foods fortified with folic acid (which many grain products are). This makes a HUGE difference. Something like 2/3s of the population may have issues properly metabolizing synthetic folic acid. It involves gene mutations that impact the methylation process, which is required to convert folic acid into something that is usable by the body. This means that they may not be getting nearly what they should be from the supplements they take. Further, something like 1/3 of the population can hardly process the synthetic folic acid at all-- and in fact, taking synthetic folic acid can actually block the receptors, making it impossible for them to get any natural folate even from food.

The high blood levels of folic acid and b-12 that they found in these mothers does NOT necessarily indicate that all of that was being utilized by their bodies. In fact, it could be highly concentrated in their blood *because* they're body isn't metabolizing it properly and putting it to good use. That means that autism could in fact be linked to a folate and b-12 DEFICIENCY rather than an excess. It makes sense, in a way, since schizophrenia had been linked to extreme b-12 deficiency already.

What that further means is that this half-done study being spread without reservation or additional information, could actively lead to an increase in autism rates as women avoid or limit the intake of these essential b-vitamins. Very scary. :(

They've actually linked Autism to a certain gene mutation. Nothing to do with taking folate or B12.
That statement is as bad as the claims that its caused by vaccination. Believe me, if they ever manage to determine what causes this mutation, the whole world will hear about it from a legitimate source of info that people cannot dispute, not just some webpage.

They've actually linked Autism to a certain gene mutation. Nothing to do with taking folate or B12.
That statement is as bad as the claims that its caused by vaccination. Believe me, if they ever manage to determine what causes this mutation, the whole world will hear about it from a legitimate source of info that people cannot dispute, not just some webpage.

That's not just 'some website', that's a university website. Only educational institutions are allowed websites in the .edu domain. Specifically though, that's John Hopkins University.

That being said, people are right to question the validity of this research, as I believe it is yet to be peer reviewed.

A few responses:

Isme: I definitely see your concern. However, I feel that women who know enough to be taking a folic acid supplement will realize that it's a risk of autism vs the risk of spina bifida. I know which one I would rather err to. I just want people to know that taking an extra prenatal, or a multi on top of a prenatal is not the best idea simply because they want to cover their bases.

Mrsclt: Maybe one form of autism has been linked to a genetic mutation, but think of it like how BRCA has been linked to breast cancer. There are a lot of different kinds of cancer. This is an incredibly complex disease that likely involves both genetic and environmental factors. No one gene causes autism.

Arturia: I believe you're correct, as I don't see mention of publication, and a quick pubmed search turns up nothing. A lot of papers/research are presented at conferences before being published. However, the invitation to present at this conference gives it some credibility. That said, absolutely take it with a grain of salt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->