Too weird?

MrsKChicago

Reaction score
We're not even TTC yet, so this is all hypothetical, but DH and I like to talk baby names. We rarely agree on boy names, but I suggested Peregrine as a middle name, and he likes it so much, he wants to use it as a first name. We're big animal lovers, and he's done a little work with peregrine falcons, and we both like the association. I like it a lot, but I feel like it's almost too weird to use. And we're not big Tolkien fans, so I worry that people will automatically assume that we are. Neither of us dislikes Tolkien, but I don't want a name that's gonna lead to people randomly starting to talk to us in Elvish ;)

But then again, people are naming their kids some pretty weird stuff these days, so maybe Peregrine will fit right in. He'd have a "normal" middle name, and I figure he could go by Perry if he hates Peregrine. What do you all think?

Personally, Im not a fan. I also think it'd be a target on the playground.

I'm pretty sure that our last name is enough of an easy target to distract from a weird first name. I don't want to share it publicly, but I know when I met DH in high school, we teased him that it sounded like an STD. And we were the people who liked him ;) Our kids are kind of screwed no matter what when it comes to being teased for their names. I'm still really on the fence, though.

I'm pretty sure that our last name is enough of an easy target to distract from a weird first name. I don't want to share it publicly, but I know when I met DH in high school, we teased him that it sounded like an STD. And we were the people who liked him ;) Our kids are kind of screwed no matter what when it comes to being teased for their names. I'm still really on the fence, though.

Aww! Well, it's ultimately ya'lls decision :flower: They will be a lovely LO regardless of any name. Im sure peolpe think some of the names I have picked out to be completely weird too (Jett or Jagger for a boy...) If its something close to your heart, screw what anyone else thinks!

I have a lot of time to think about it, thankfully. Who knows, I may never have boys. We both like it a lot, but we're not the ones that have to live with it every day.

I automatically though falcon dont even know what elvish is lol

I think its an ok name, not too weird... would nickname to Perry or Regan maybe

I think Talon would be a cool name too if you want to stick with a bird theme or there is always the more run of the name (but still unique) Avory but you could spell it Aviarie

Hmmm... I was quick to say I liked it...AT FIRST, but then you mentioned how strange his last name would be, and I would probably advise against it, only because the kid won't have a chance, lol. Still, I always root for the underdog, and I love unique names, so it's your call. If you do decide to go with it, PLEASE give him a simple middle name :)

I have to say, I thought Tolkien :blush: Fool of a Took! :haha:

It's an ok name but as pp says, if you have an unnusual last name it may be a bit much to lumber him with. Ultimately it is your decision though, go with what you love!

My first thought was "fool of a took" as well lol...

I think a lot of people would think that is Tolkien related So if that bothers you another name might be better.

It's too "out there" for me, especially if you have an unusual last name. But I'd totally use it as a middle name.

Didn't think Tolkien, I thought Miss Peregrine's Home for Exceptional Children. Cute YA book, by the way. I really like the name, but it definitely feels more feminine to me. I could totally see a little girl named Peregrine.

Hmmm... I was quick to say I liked it...AT FIRST, but then you mentioned how strange his last name would be, and I would probably advise against it, only because the kid won't have a chance, lol. Still, I always root for the underdog, and I love unique names, so it's your call. If you do decide to go with it, PLEASE give him a simple middle name :)

Oh yes, he would definitely have a very very very normal middle name. Edward or William or something else simple and classic.

Not a fan but if you love it then go for it :)

I didnt think Tolkien, though I am sure given enough time I would have made the connection. Its not something I would personally chose but I've seen weirder names. People would get used to it! I didnt like my niece's name Frederica, but got used to it eventually, she is known to everyone as Freddie. He would probably get known as Perry as Peregrine is too long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->