Took the wrong medicine and terrified! :(

Sophia131

Reaction score
Hi all! I hope someone can put my mind at ease. I found out I was pregnant a week ago. I am currently 4 weeks 5 days. The week before I found out, I had taken 2-3 doses of cold medicine - Lemsip Max, which seems to contain Phenylephrine. Now I am reading all kinds of horrible things on the web saying it can cause birth defects and freaking out! Has anyone done this and still had a healthy pregnancy? Or know anyone who has?... I feel so dumb.

Hi all! I hope someone can put my mind at ease. I found out I was pregnant a week ago. I am currently 4 weeks 5 days. The week before I found out, I had taken 2-3 doses of cold medicine - Lemsip Max, which seems to contain Phenylephrine. Now I am reading all kinds of horrible things on the web saying it can cause birth defects and freaking out! Has anyone done this and still had a healthy pregnancy? Or know anyone who has?... I feel so dumb.
Please call 111 and ask for advice x I can only see it affecting baby if it’s being drunk regularly. Best to ask a medical professional x

Oh hun you’re totally fine. Some people go months without realizing they’re pregnant. They carry on drinking and smoking etc without realizing! Of course once you know you have to be safe, but your little one at 4 weeks hasn’t even formed the placenta yet. They’re not taking direct nutrition from you until about 9/10 weeks through that placenta. Now that you know you can do everything to keep baby safe, but it’s highly highly unlikely you’ve caused any problems at this early stage!

I was gonna say the same thing ! Some people do all kinds before they find out they are pregnant ! Surely 2/3 dosages won’t be harmful , I’d be more worried if it was on a regular basis!

I know how you feel though I freaked out over everything when I was pregnant with DD1 .

Good luck with your pregnancy x

Don’t u worry urself too much,yes there is a warning against it but u are so early that many wouldn’t even know they were pregnant yet and carry on taking it,I think if u were taking it everyday for a long time through ur pregnancy then it might be worrying but sometimes all these guidelines and warnings just scare the crap out of us,I was 20wks pregnant with a horrendous cough and didn’t realise I shouldn’t take it until the dr told me xx

I would get some advice from 111 to be on the safe side. But I would think you're ok as it's only a one off x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->