Tooth decay

x_WelshGirl_x

1boy, 1girl, 1 angel baby
Reaction score
Hi ladies. I haven't posted on here in so long. My little girl is 2 and a half now and starting playgroup in September and my little boy is stating in year 1! How fast does time fly.
Well earlier in the year, I took Scarlett to the dentist, she has 2 holes in her back 2 molars and the enamel on her fang has chipped away. She instantly blamed the breast milk. I felt so bad and guilty. We seen the health visitor who said that was a load of nonsense and she probably just has weak teeth. We went again just last month and she again blamed the breast milk, she now has to be seen every 3 months due to the holes. Now I've noticed her front tooth and another have decay and now I'm wondering is it down to breast feeding as my son has perfect teeth and he was bottle fed.
Has anyone got any experience or advice? I know they are her baby teeth but with them being her front teeth, kids can be so cruel. I just feel so consumed with guilt. She's not ready to give up breast feeding, she still feeds at night but tonight were giving up. A week of tiredness is coming my way.

My toddler is 3, still breastfed and has no decay at all anywhere ...

I thought bottle-feeding was actually worse as the milk tends to pool in the mouth?

Were you on antibiotics at all during your pregnancy with her? I believe that can affect the enamel on a child's teeth.

I think it's possible if she feeds loads without then having her teeth brushed after (like for hours during the night when she's not necessarily swallowing quickly). The same would happen with formula or any other sort of drink, other than water, if they were having it throughout the night without having their teeth brushed. I think the difference is that with the exception of those who give a bottle for their Lo's to take to bed (a practice that's frowned upon for this reason), most bottle fed babies have a quick feed and are done without sucking on a bottle all night. So it's possible it's contributed to it, even if not the only cause. I know my friend's daughter was feeding constantly until about 3 during the night and had the same (she's fairly strict about sugar and diet so that was the only reason she could come up with). Mine stopped night feeds at 9 months and we've never had any tooth decay. Some kids do just have weak enamel and soft teeth. My parents were told this as I had lots of cavities as a kid (in retrospect, they fed me a lot of sugary junk, which I think is the most likely explanation on my case!), but definitely it does happen and could also be a factor. I don't think you have to stop breastfeeding though, but considering she's having issues with her teeth (regardless of the cause), I'd try to limit doing it when you can't brush her teeth after, which I know sucks.

That's the thing, she really only feeds at night and at the minute is worse than a new born so I guess stopping we might even get more sleep eventually.
I just don't know. She doesn't have many sweets and as her brother loves water she wants the same as him and so asks for water and not juice which is good.
I'm going to try some multi vitamins like the health visitor suggested. But originally I didn't think it would be down to breast milk but she doesn't eat anything different to her brother or anything unless it is weak teeth like the health visitor said.
She has another appointment next month I'll see what they say then. They did say she may have to be out to sleep and have her molars out, although they aren't bothering her, I'm just more concerned about her front teeth.
Sorry for rambling I'm just so upset for her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->