Tooth Infection/abscess

30Poppy

Reaction score
Hi

I've been struggling with severe tooth pain for about 1.5 weeks now. Saw my dentist 5 days ago who said he didn't want to give me xrays because of baby and because the pain is coming from a tooth that I had root canal on years ago, he could only give me antibiotics for week and to go back and review in a few days time. I've been taking the antibiotics but the pain is still there. He did say that he wouldn't take the tooth out until after baby born but I can't stand this pain for another 10 weeks! Has anyone had anything similar or have any advice? Just worried that if the antibiotics don't work, I don't want the infection to harm the baby.

Same situation but my pain improved luckily, I'm hoping it holds out until after baby comes! I think if they have no choice they have to. Only place that treated me while pregnant, did X-rays and root canal was the emergency dentist on a Saturday. I was in agony (this was a different tooth) I'd suggest going there

Thanks. I think I might call dentist and make an appt asap to see what he says. Perhaps I need a stronger/longer course of antibiotics (was given 250mg amoxicillian 3x time days). Don't really want to lose the tooth but might be only option - though not sure how he'll do it without taking xrays and can't say I'm keen on having them done whilst pregnant.

The emergency dentist wouldn't pull mine out she said that would have to be after pregnancy but they can re do root canals. I've got two that need work on and a wisdom tooth that hurts when I touch it so I know I need loads of work done! The root canal they did earlier in this pregnancy has started hurting when heat touches it so it needs sorting! The other is an old one which they said after doing the X-ray looked like it had failed.
If your dentist is anything like my old one he wouldn't even see me until I finished my antibiotics even though I was in agony. I was literally in tears by the time I went to the out of hours dentist! Aparantly X-rays for teeth are less exposure than being on a plane so they are fine. It's just some dentists are weird about it. My friend is a dental nurse and says they treat pregnant women all the time. It's ridiculous

I had root treatment in my last pregnancy aand an xray. They packed my tooth with an antibiotic and filled it for a week and then put in a more permanent filling

Thanks that's really useful to know. Perhaps when I go back I can suggest about looking at the old root canal filling again to see if he can do anything with it. Can you remember what antibiotics you were on? I can't help thinking that my dose is quite low - 250mg per tablet (even paracematol is more than that!). Seems like a nasty infection I have (judging by the pain!) so perhaps it needs stronger antibiotics to cure it.

My MFM said one X-ray in an emergency situation is fine. I had a tooth that was bothering me in the beginning of 2nd tri. The dentist opted to fill it without the X-ray though but that's just his preference. He did use the nonepi Novacain and everything was fine.

When I get mouth abcesses (I'm prone due to medical history not lack of oral hygiene) I ways go to the hospital AnE as I have a fear of dentists. The drs might have a moan, but they're more likely to deal with it properly whilst you're pregnant because they're more comfortable dealing with pregnancy and much more knowledgeable :) hope you feel better soon! Oral infections can be diabolical!!

I've been having tooth pain off and on for the past month - it's acting up again. It keeps me up at night sometimes. There's no sign of abscess though. I had an xray done and they said i need a root canal but Im gonna wait until after baby is born to have it done. Lidocaine crosses the placenta and i don't want that stuff anywhere near baby's brain while it's developing. When lidocaine was used during labor the babies had signs of mental ******ation similar to heavy drug use or alcohol use. That was a lot higher dose, but still. I didn't find anything about bacteria being able to adversely affect the baby other than to say that there's an association between poor dental health and preterm labor. And using antibiotics is like setting off an atomic bomb in your body.

For now I take 1500 mg of lysine a day and that helps a lot. It's an essential amino acid supplement that aides in soft tissue repair, like your gums. It will help prevent an abscess or help heal an existing one. I haven't taken it in a week which is why i think my tooth is starting to hurt again. I've started taking it again and expect my tooth to stop hurting in a few days. There are no studies done on the effects of lysine on the baby but I read that amino acids are selectively transported across the placenta, meaning that my taking more does not mean baby will get more. Plus it's an essential amino acid which means my body doesn't make it on it's own and I only get what i ingest.

I'm Not dealing with a tooth problem. But I am dealing with a sinus infection that has made the entire left side of my face been in pain. Also it's starting to affect my vision. It's been going on for 3 weeks. Dr would give me a steroid if not pregnant but can't. I wakr up w migraines everyday. It's like living hell

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->