Torticollis

Simonecah

Reaction score
Wondering what people's stories are with infant congenital torticollis? We have a physical therapy eval tomorrow after our ped recommended it. Our LO was born at 29 weeks and spent 7 weeks in NICU.

Dd had quite severe torticollis when she was very small. Our physio gave us exercises and stretches to do each day. We usually did them at each nappy change to make it easy to remember. It took quite a while as she also has hypotonia so the muscles were weak too but we noticed a gradual improvement over months. Now its not noticeablw when she is awake although when she sleeps she does still pull a little to that side

Our LO had torticollis. At first we saw a physical therapist twice a week and did at home exercises every day, 5 times a day. It was very stubborn but as he got older and his neck muscles became stronger, it gradually worked itself out. It also lead to plagiocephaly since the torticollis made him more prone to sleeping and laying on one spot on his head. He ended up needed a helmet to round out his head. Just something you might want to keep an eye on. LO is now almost three and I barely notice anything. All the PT and helmet was definitely worth it.

Our DS was diagnosed with this at 4 months. We did weekly PT and daily stretch/massage and it was resolved by his first birthday. He was also a NICU baby.

My LO also had torticollis. We did PT from age 4mos to 7mos, and lots of stretches every day (actually started stretches at 3 months before starting PT). PT should show you different ways to encourage LO to build those neck muscles, it will vary depending on age. My LO also developed plagiocephaly and needed a helmet which she wore from age 4mos to almost 6mos. It took lots of work and time but all has been well since graduating from PT at 7 mos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->