totally stuck athow to help dd

Still feeling unwell. She had a play date with another child yesterday and and one on friday with same girl. She has fallen out with friend apparently as they were playing chase and other girl said stop and pushed her over as she didn't stop strait away (the game had been decided before so dd wasn't randomly chasing) she is currently counting days to Christmas holidays

Yay had a good day, really hope it carries on. Fingers crossed

Good to hear she has had a good day. I'm hoping the other kids have stopped being nasty to her.

I would not be happy with this school at all. Reception children can sing and chat during play time and other children shoul NOT be saying shut up - if they are annoyed they can move away, or maybe ask if she can use a quieter indoor voice (at most) - it's play time for goodness sake! My daughter is also shy but the school know this and they've really helped her develop and she has come out of her shell so much due to them taking the time to get to know every child.

was this school your first choice? Did you get a clear impression of what the school ethos was and what their main school rules are?

I think S&L therapy going in to schoolis a great idea.

Btw I have times even now as an adult where I can't make eye contact and it was worse as a child. I am not autistic or aspergers but I DO have a lot of anxiety. For some people it can be hard to spot the difference.
However even if she was autistic it wouldn't be recommended to tell her to shut-up when singing, so that's pretty unacceptable in my view.

Ps I wouldn't worry about the dyslexia just now. At this age so many children have the classic symptoms and most reading and writing schemes adopted by reception classes are multi sensory (which is the best approach for dyslexia anyway and helps all children that age). As she gets older you'll be able to tell if her symptoms persist or follow the more usual pattern (my daughter currently confuses b and d, u and n, writes backwards sometimes and has just started inserting random capitals. She could be dyslexic like her dad but these are also the normal stages of reading and writing, so for now I'm just watching and waiting).

I'm thinking she may be dyslexic more due to other things which was very much like myself but to be honest if she is its no bother. The school ethos is usually good and for most part is good school but its sen is not fantastic. I'm hoping meeting may help. I hate eye contact to so can understand where dd coming from. Her teacher can be lovely but seems very inexperienced with children who have any difficulties and found out a few parents had issues. Will be complaining above if not impressed by meeting. DD has made a friend and seems happier and think even teacher realised has been unfair. Unfortunately from working in schools I know this is not unusual

Had meeting, they backed down on some stuff and just said wanted to re refer for speech and language which I fine. Speech is ok at home but at school I know is worse due to anxiety. I suggested a few things they could do which seemed to shock them, such as visual time table for showing structure of day which is used alot in reception classes anyway and did mention doing group work where they took her and a few children to help her with social but they reconed they had not enough staff. They have 2 adults in classroom so they could take a group outside in reception garden so not sure why they cant model social stuff with her

How are things going?
Have they made any changes since the meeting? Was the head aware of her being told to"shut up"?

They brushed it off a bit, this meeting was with senco and teacher. Was interesting, I spoke to one of other mums today. Our little girls have become friends and her little girl is also shy. I was told it was as other children frustrated which I think is an awful excuse as my DD should not be descriminated against as she has special needs and they should teach children acceptence. The other mum told me other children were doing same to her dd and her dd has no speech problems. They have now ordered stuff for dd for helping such as pink over lay as she can read better off pink background which we found out not them. Dd seems happy at moment as has her friend now

No advise but hope your little girl is doing well and the school get their act together. My son is. 3.5 and goes to nursery. He has speech and language delay and also suspected development delay and suspected adhd. His nursery weren't great at very start as I think they thought I was making excuses for him at the very start. They however are excellent now, the head comes in and does one to one with him at points of the day that he finds difficult such as during story time. I'm dreading him having to go to primary school but thankfully he has another nursery year the way his birthday falls

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->