Tough Lesson Learned...

How do all these kids get to school if they aren't allowed to walk anywhere?

The school bus takes them, or the parent takes them. When I was growing up school was 10 miles away, not really practical to walk lol

The school bus takes them, or the parent takes them. When I was growing up school was 10 miles away, not really practical to walk lol

Think that's a definite difference between the uk and us. Most primary schools here are within walking distance. Senior schools are further out but for us that would be about a 15-20 cycle. Once DS goes to senior school we'll be expecting him to cycle, use the bus or walk.

Think that's a definite difference between the uk and us. Most primary schools here are within walking distance. Senior schools are further out but for us that would be about a 15-20 cycle. Once DS goes to senior school we'll be expecting him to cycle, use the bus or walk.

Same difference over here. Schools are either close enough to walk or cycle to or they take public transportation, no school buses here.

I live in Canada and I would not allow my 8 year old to walk any where by himself. I know that when I was around 8 I was allowed to walk around by myself. But times are different now and I wouldn't allow my 8year old to walk around by himself. I trust him its other people that I don't know that I don't trust. And I know other people here that feel the same way. And I would walk my son to school and pick him up if he needed to walk.

The OP made a rule for her son to follow and bottom line is he didn't. He should be disciplined for not listening. Whether people agree with the rule or not is not the point. The point is he didn't listen.

I'm not in the UK or US (New Zealand) and had to walk to school no matter how far it was. Which sucked in the winter!

There was a school bus at highschool, but you had to walk to the busstop anyway so for me that was about as far as school was so seemed pointless. Also one bus and over 1000 students meant it was hard to get a ride...and 60cents each ride so mum wasn't keen on it.

Mine will be walking as I don't have a car, but I will walk with them.

I agree he should have followed the rules. I don't agree that times are different though, there have always been bad people out there.

The amount of mums driving to pick their kids up from school is actually becoming a nightmare and hazard around out local streets as they drive like maniacs and all fight for parking spaces. One nearly clipped the pram once when I was on a crossing and another lady flew through a stop sign and almost smashed into the side of another persons car the other day. They also drive up onto the footpath and use it like a road sometimes. Scares me!

I'm not in the UK or US (New Zealand) and had to walk to school no matter how far it was. Which sucked in the winter!

There was a school bus at highschool, but you had to walk to the busstop anyway so for me that was about as far as school was so seemed pointless. Also one bus and over 1000 students meant it was hard to get a ride...and 60cents each ride so mum wasn't keen on it.

I agree he should have followed the rules. I don't agree that times are different though, there have always been bad people out there.

The amount of mums driving to pick their kids up from school is actually becoming a nightmare and hazard around out local streets as they drive like maniacs and all fight for parking spaces. One nearly clipped the pram once when I was on a crossing and another lady flew through a stop sign and almost smashed into the side of another persons car the other day. They also drive up onto the footpath and use it like a road sometimes. Scares me!
Driving kids to school makes it so much more dangerous for the ones that walk. Most kids walk or bike here but some parents drive their kids and as soon as the school year started the local newspaper put out an article asking parents not to drive their kids as it is dangerous.

Driving kids to school makes it so much more dangerous for the ones that walk. Most kids walk or bike here but some parents drive their kids and as soon as the school year started the local newspaper put out an article asking parents not to drive their kids as it is dangerous.

parents park ON the round abouts near the schools near us its really frustrating

parents park ON the round abouts near the schools near us its really frustrating

Key their cars! :haha:

I witnessed a parent arguing with a traffic warden the other day - she was quite clearly parked on double yellow lines - the type that have the two yellow lines on the kerb as well as the road. She was saying 'but i was only dropping them off at school'. Fairly sure she still got a ticket as there was no reason at all that she needed to park where she was - the child wasn't even going to be late to school if she had to find elsewhere to park as there are always spaces just a little further away. It's almost as if because they are driving they have a right to park where they like. I will drive my two to school but what i do is park about a 5-8min walk away from the school. It saves me about 10min if i do this, the children still get to walk a way and it's a really safe place to park the car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->