Toxoplasmosis Phobia- Advice Much Appreciated

Ladybuggz

Mummy to my Oz!
Reaction score
Hey Ladies,
I'm currently 8 weeks pregnant and suffering with OCD. I'm petrified of Toxoplasmosis and am concerned about a few issues. I have two indoor cats, however, a day before I found out I was pregnant I decided to take one of my cats out in the backgarden area on a lead and harness for the first time in her life. As far as I know, she did not come in to contact with any cat faeces or vermin (she was only outside for 5 minutes while I watched her) however other peoples cats do 'use' our garden.

The following day I discovered I was pregnant so decided that now would not be the best time to take the cat for new walks. The cats have a litter tray which my husband cleans however I find tiny pieces of cat litter everywhere! On the sofa (I sat on litter today), the floor, even on the bed sheets etc. I hoover everyday, but the cats must get small pieces of litter of their paws and fur, and both hubs and I have tiny pieces on our socks/slippers, which is then transferred around the house. I'm freaking out! I'm petrified to accidently come in to contact with any litter and have already sat on some today :wacko:

Can someone please reassure me that the likelihood of toxoplasmosis is small? I'm currently awaiting CBT for my OCD but in the mean time, can't stop panicking about litter!

I don't know about cats etc but stop panicking Hun you're doing yourself more harm than good stressing about it xxx

It is a very small risk to you especially since your cats are indoors. You can get it other ways, cats are not always the number 1 cause.

I am currently going through this.. I asked my Dr for a toxo test early on in my pregnancy and it came back positive. I had a recent infection, just how recent noone knows for sure. It for sure has been a scary and uncertain time and I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

Thanks for the replies ladies.
Debbie- I'm sorry to hear about what you're going through at the moment. I can't imagine how worried you must be. Have the doctors been much help or reassurance? Sending love and hugs your way.

If you've had your cats for a while, the chances that you've already been exposed toxoplasmosis is high, so you shouldn't be worried about getting it again. But definitely don't change the litterbox and if you HAVE to, wash your hands afterwards.

sjwebb- I'm really hoping that I'm immune. I grew up with outdoor cats my entire life and had a blood test yesterday to see if I have immunity.

I think you are definitely fine then if you've been around them for a while :) And your baby will get your immunity too.

Debbie- I'm sorry to hear about what you're going through at the moment. I can't imagine how worried you must be. Have the doctors been much help or reassurance? Sending love and hugs your way.

The doctors here really have no experience with it.. I was referred to maternal fetal medicine and they said they maybe see a handful of cases a year.. I really think that a lot of people probably have been infected in pregnancy but never knew it as it is not standard testing here. I honestly wish I would have never asked to have the toxo test.

Like the others have said, if you have been around outdoor cats all of your life you are most likely already immune.

I have two indoor cats as well, and have always had indoor cats. I also am FREAKING OUT about toxo... I am constantly spraying and wiping things down and the pets are shedding like mad and I am afraid there fur will float into my mouth or eye and I will get it, or that I will put my feet on the couch (with a tiny litter piece on my sock that maybe I didn't know about), then touch the couch, and then rub my eye and then get it. >_<

I tried a bite of a friends garlic snap yesterday before I remembered they hadn't been washed and was worried all night that I could have gotten it from that, since they say you can get it from gardening if it's in the soil.

I know how you feel!

The doctors here really have no experience with it.. I was referred to maternal fetal medicine and they said they maybe see a handful of cases a year.. I really think that a lot of people probably have been infected in pregnancy but never knew it as it is not standard testing here. I honestly wish I would have never asked to have the toxo test.

Like the others have said, if you have been around outdoor cats all of your life you are most likely already immune.

The doctor situation must be frustrating. I've come across a few terrible doctors in the past; I'd come out of an appointment wondering why on earth I bothered making one. As you said, there must have been countless ladies in the world who have contracted toxo without realising.

I have two indoor cats as well, and have always had indoor cats. I also am FREAKING OUT about toxo... I am constantly spraying and wiping things down and the pets are shedding like mad and I am afraid there fur will float into my mouth or eye and I will get it, or that I will put my feet on the couch (with a tiny litter piece on my sock that maybe I didn't know about), then touch the couch, and then rub my eye and then get it. >_<

I tried a bite of a friends garlic snap yesterday before I remembered they hadn't been washed and was worried all night that I could have gotten it from that, since they say you can get it from gardening if it's in the soil.

I know how you feel!

What a pair we are! I was worrying over the fur issue a few days back! I met up with some close friends I hadn't seen in months. They chose a pub to eat in that had a 'cat party' that day! Where random cats from outside came in and sat at our feet! The worst part was that we all had food at the time and my friends were encouraging a cat to come over and stroking it (so all this fur was floating around our food). I honestly wanted to just sit there and cry. At one point I became paranoid that (as fur was in the air) I'd inhaled some by mistake. They wondered why I was looking so anxious, so explained toxo and they still continued to fuss the cat. Eugh. Not the best day!

I don't think your cat would have gotten it from that leash walk. Don't worry too much since they are indoor cats, everything will be ok.

That is the most bizarre thing I have heard in a long time. I don't know what is weirder, the idea of a cat party in a pub....or that there were enough random cats to actually pull it off. o_O

Eugh. Another fear filled day. The inlaws came over and, while we were out, the MIL stroked a young cat outdoors. I asked if she could could wash her hands when she gets back to our home and she agreed. But then I was panicking that she was holding FIL hand, who didn't wash his hands on returning to our home. Why does my brain think like this?

I've also got a sore throat today (which surprise, surprise is a toxo sign)!

>_<

Oh no, I never thought to Google the symptoms of toxo until I heard about the throat thing. Must.... resist... :thud:

I have battled with OCD on and off for decades and I seriously think pregnancy is a risk factor for regression. My son tried to open a new bottle of ketchup before the old was gone. I snapped at him (he is 22 :haha:), but seriously...there must be order! And if my daughter opens the blinds so the bottom is crooked instead of in a straight neat line one more time I might end up in some kind of mental hospital!!!

I'm a fellow OCD sufferer, Ladybuggz. We have a kitty who has taken over the entire house with fur and litter bits. We have hardwood floors, so all her walking around does nothing to scrape the litter off her feet (unlike carpets, which REALLY help prevent litter from being tracked around) and she tromps it in bed, on the couches, on the floor, all over the baby's stuff, and all over potential places where I rest my head.

I clean as much as possible, but I have been very scared of toxoplasmosis on a number of occasions and have told myself the following things to help keep the OCD symptoms at bay:

1) I've had cats since I was 8 years old, all of them shelter cats, and some of them outdoor/indoor. The likelihood that I caught toxoplasmosis when I was younger, and am thus immune, is very high. I never washed my hands when I was a kid!
2) I am not going to get rid of my cat to eliminate my panicking about the litter problem. She's a member of my family. So panicking really serves no purpose!
3) I wash my hands before I put them anywhere near my mouth if I've been touching something that the cat has touched or if I've been petting her. Sometimes I forget. There is nothing I can do about it once it's already happened, so I must move on and just do better next time.
4) I could always ask my OB to test me for it to put my mind at ease if I feel sickly. It's usually asymptomatic, but can include sore throat, fever, body aches, etc.

Hope this helps. Always here to chat/PM if you need an OCD-pregnancy support system!

Thanks for all the support ladies! I'm currently awaiting both a blood test result to see if i'm immune to toxo and cbt. Having another hiccup today where I'm wearing a long dress which touches the floor. I thought all the litter had been hoovered up but noticed my dress hem was on a big piece of litter! I told myself to not freak out, it was only on the bottom but have since sat down and stupidly lifted my dress up (so the hem was on my knees). Eugh.

Ok I know this is an old post but I thought it might help a few people. I have a current toxo fear. I am terrified. I won't let my hubbie even weed the garden for fear he might touch cat poo and spread it all over the house! I have two indoor cats and have done quite a bit of research. Basically a cat gets toxo from eating an infected rodent, so if your cats are indoor cats the chances of that are slim to zero. Secondly toxo is a lot harder to get then people think. I have had cats my whole life, used to have five outdoor cats when I was younger - I used to play in the garden in the soil with my bare hands and when I was a little older I used to help my mum doing the gardening and I NEVER wore gloves. I had a toxo test about 9 months ago as we were trying for another baby and it was negative - so what I am trying to get across is that although the risk is there - it quite rare. That doesn't mean you shouldn't take the precautions they advise when gardening or cleaning the litter tray.

Hope this helps someone.xxxxxxx

I am a vet, I used to work in a clinic that did a lot of work with unhealthy strays. I also used to work on sheep farms which are a much biggest risk at lambing time. I am not immune to toxo and have never caught it. I did not stop handling ill cats throughout either pregnancy, I did wear gloves and a mask if they were very messy/stray/young. Following basic hygiene is the best idea, it's actually quite hard to contract toxo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->