Toy in the cot

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by Feathers, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Feathers

Feathers Mum of 2

So my LO is not a good sleeper, but she does manage to sleep during the day with her blankie-bear comforter clinging on to him tight. This doesn't bother me as I can watch her during the day (she likes to pull the blankie part over her mouth to suckle by) but I'm worried about giving her bear to sleep with at night. Now she has pretty good control at pulling the bear around to where she wants him and I wonder if she would be alright sleeping with the bear at night or not. Has anyone experienced this or have any advice? I slept with a bear for as long as I can remember as a kid. How old is this safe from? I guess I should say she is 10 weeks old. Help!

2. Mrshoffie

Mrshoffie Well-Known Member

I really don't know what is recommended but my lo has had teddies In her bed since she was a few days old

3. supertabby

supertabby Well-Known Member

Soft toys and blankies etc are not recommended in the cot before one year old, but I think a lot of people do it. I would say 10 weeks is too early though.

4. staceyjc18

staceyjc18 Well-Known Member

I dont give Amelia one and wouldnt. I think babies find it comforting to be snuggled up to something and I know Amelia would have to straight to her face. IMO its just not worth the risk x

5. catfromaus

catfromaus Mum to angel Aiden Lynne

I wouldn't at 10 weeks. Emma has had one from around 11 months.

6. KatieB

KatieB Well-Known Member

Louis' not got any toys in his cot and he's almost 8 months but I've been thinking the same thing recently as thought he'd like one of his favourite cuddly toys in with him but I always worry about him squashing his face against one though, so think I'll leave it for a while yet.

7. katy1310

katy1310 Mummy of 1

Sophie has always had one of those rabbit comforter thingies since she was really tiny, and we used to let her cuddle it till we went to bed at night then I just slipped it out of her moses basket. That way, we could still keep an eye on her and she was well and truly asleep by the time I sneaked it away.

x

8. XJessicaX

XJessicaX mum to two girls!

My LO has to chew a muslin when she goes to bed, so she sleeps with that. I also put her favourite toy in the cot (captain calamari) which I put right up at the head of the bed and it buys me an extra 45 minutes of sleep in the morning because she spends a while crawling up the cot and then plays with it!

9. xxClaire_24xx

xxClaire_24xx mum of 2 gorgeous girls

Ellies always had a snuggle blanket, she got used to it from NICU as I would sleep with it then take it in and she had teddies in her incubator/ to keep her company and give her something to look at, recommended by NICU staff, she has always had her blanket and her teddies in her cot but she couldnt move about in her cast xx

10. milf2be

milf2be Guest

i was wondering this! i have toys in the cot for LO but they are well out of his way at the top of the cot (is this safe btw??)x

11. Lara310809

Lara310809 Mum of 3 girls

They say you shouldn't put toys in with your LO until they're a year old I think, but we always gave her one and it never hurt. There is an added risk of cot death. It's more a case of making your own decision. You could try giving her a looser weave material, and something small that she can't get wound up in. That way she will be able to breathe through it too

12. Cattia

Cattia Well-Known Member

My son has a taggie that he loves, he sucks the ribbons and puts his face in it :dohh: I let him fall asleep with it then take it out of his cot. He is 6 months old now and very strong.

13. MrsPoodle

MrsPoodle Mummy of a Princess

She's only got her lovey blanket in with her, she rubs it over her face to get to sleep then pulls it off, so she's never in any danger from it.