training to be a midwife ?

babycrazy1706

Mummy to Elijah and TTC
Reaction score
I'm thinking about going to uni to train as a midwife. Has anyone done it? What's it like? Xx

My niece just has, it's been hard wrk, stressful as she has a little boy but she's glad she stuck with it and is now fully qualified and loves her job

Its very very very hard to get onto a course so make sure you definitely know its what you want to do as it will take a lot of determination to get there. You need to be better than the other thousands of applicants. Apparently I'm not good enough lol. This will be my third year applying.

This time applying though I've got an access diploma, breast feeding peer supporter training (volunteering), work experience on a mat ward, and level 1 sign language. So fingers crossed lol.

Out of interest Beth_terri, do you have to have any specific qualifications? Like A levels in science or science GCSE grade C or above? I often think I'd like to do midwifery, but I'm too far down another career path to ever seriously consider it. Still I love all things concerning birth though, so this thread sparked my interest. Good luck in this year's application and good luck OP if you decide to do it :).

Out of interest Beth_terri, do you have to have any specific qualifications? Like A levels in science or science GCSE grade C or above? I often think I'd like to do midwifery, but I'm too far down another career path to ever seriously consider it. Still I love all things concerning birth though, so this thread sparked my interest. Good luck in this year's application and good luck OP if you decide to do it :).

That's what my access diploma is. Its access to higher education in health. So equivalent to A levels. And I've got all grade A-C gcse's. X

Aww good luck this year Beth. Fingers crossed for third time lucky! What an amazing job that would be :)

good luck beth terri!

i have 2 advanced Alevels in health and social care and all grade c and above g.c.s.e's

not sure if that is enough to apply, its something i need to look into further obviously.

i wouldnt want to start til Elijah is in school anyway so that is another 3+ years. xx

I know from friend's experiences doing degrees in health vocations inc midwifery, you really need to set yourself apart from the other applicants. Midwifery is a really popular course and there are many many many more applications than places.

You've got relevant access course qualifications which is good. I would start doing volunteering now (not just before you apply) in hospitals, care homes etc, and anything specific you can get like volunteering in a maternity hospital is all the better. Maybe you can help at postnatal groups at the sure start centre or breastfeeding groups etc.

Good luck.

It is notoriously difficult to get onto the course, when my friend applied there were 750 applicants for 10 places. The advice she gave me was to go and get some experience in the care world xx

Its something Id LOVE to do but I no I wouldnt be able to cope!

Only advice I can give it to get loads of experience and volunteer work.

Good luck x

I am considering it too... but not til DS is at least 3. I have just completed bf peer support training and have a previous science degree, so hopefully that would help me out a bit. I duno though.. I would absolutely love it, but I think it will be very hard with a young family. Got a couple of years to think about it. Where would you apply too OP? I'm lucky that UWS is my home town so it would be great to get in there.

I am considering it too... but not til DS is at least 3. I have just completed bf peer support training and have a previous science degree, so hopefully that would help me out a bit. I duno though.. I would absolutely love it, but I think it will be very hard with a young family. Got a couple of years to think about it. Where would you apply too OP? I'm lucky that UWS is my home town so it would be great to get in there.

Qualifications need to be recent - so you may need to re-do them or show recent study such as an A-Level or equivalent.

Each and every university is different in terms of what they look for, so be sure to check what unis you will be applying for look at, plus not all run midwifery courses. But volunteering is a must. Working on a maternity ward is extremely stressful with staff shortages and cutbacks, is good to make sure it's something you want to do for the next 30+ years :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->