Trans vaginal ultrasound.

Babybug

Reaction score
I have found out my 12 week scan will be vaginal rather than abdominal like last time.

Who has haf one and whats it like, is it uncomfortable?

They're a little bit uncomfortable but no worse than a smear test. They give a lot.clearer pic too xx

They can be a little uncomfortable when they move it in certain places and I've found they give you a bit of pelvic pain after, (that might just be me) but I'm sure you won't be worrying about any pain when you see your bub on the screen:) x

I've had more than I can count between my previous ectopic and this pregnancy. It really wasn't much of anything imo and there's a sheet of sorts covering your lower half so you still have some sense of privacy. The wand isn't that big and they put a fresh cover over it for each use of course. In my experience the wand never goes very deep and every technician I have had has had to move the wand very little to see what they need to. Don't worry about it and try to think of it as your induction to having everything poked and prodded during pregnancy. It's only gets more "intimate" as the weeks progress lol.

I have had lots of them, and they aren't bad at all. They use lots of lube so you won't feel a thing.

The only bad part is checking out the ovaries! At least for me, my left one is up higher so there is a lot more pressure when they try to get a picture

I've had loads over the years, never been an issue at all. Just involves taking your pants off lol. They don't really even look 'down there' so it doesn't make you feel exposed like a smear would.

I had one a couple of weeks ago with hubby and both boys in tow :haha:

I don't think they are bad at all, not painful at all.

I had one last pregnancy a couple months ago. It's very private they don't even look down there. The only part I found a little painful was when she checked my ovaries for ectopic but that's only because I was having a miscarriage so it might not be necessary for you!

I was so freaked out the first time lol but its really not that bad, they don't have to put it very far, and atleast for me- I am so distracted with what's on the screen I don't really care! I think papa are WAY worse, I can't stand them lol. A internal ultrasound is a Lil uncomfortable but its not terrible at all. The most uncomfortable for me is 1. The invasiveness into my privacy lol 2. When they check your ovaries they have to move it around a little more. Good luck!

Thanks ladies, was just a little surprised to find out, glad its not too bad I want to enjoy the picture on the screen.

I had an internal scan at 8 weeks and was totally fine :) I guess like most things it varies person to person, I wouldn't worry about it though I didn't find out until I got there lol x

Why are they doing a transvaginal one if you don't mind me asking?

Is there a particular reason they doin it this way? If not you could always request an abdominal

I've had loads plus internal exams and the scan is fine. It's a long tube they put a condom and lube on. The dr puts the scanner under the cover and the screen is a good distraction.

I am a bit confused why you're having one at 12 w, I could see my baby via abdominal at 8w.

I am English but I live in Germany apparantly that is judt what they do in that hospital. Im not against it I will go with the flow, apparantly they can see clearer which is a bonus.

I've had several. Not painful and it's a better method in first tri :). Only lasts a couple minutes !

I found the image was defiantly clearer. I thought it was slightly awkward, they did it for my first at 11 weeks and I felt odd crying and all excited while I had a wand shoved up my hoohaa, not how I imagined the moment. lol I didn't find it uncomfortable though.

This time around they did just the abdomen at 9 weeks and I could tell there was a big difference in what you can clearly see.

It was a little uncomfortable, since I'm kinda small but it wasn't too bad. the worst part is when they move it around to see different angles, like for your ovaries. You'll probably be pretty distracted by the cool images on the screen though. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->