Transitioning to combo feeding... advice please

BrandyBestPal

Reaction score
Hi Ladies,

I am looking for some advice on transitioning to combo feeding DD.

She has been EBF for 9months - and my DH is very concerned for my health if I continue on BFing. The long of the short to that is, I've lost too much weight - BFing is most likely the culprit - so DH wants me to quick altogether. I compromised, saying I would combo feed so I can still BF.

What I would like to do is BF morning and night. And FF during the day.
As it is, I only BF 4x/day and 1x/overnight (rarely). DD is very well established on solids, eating a full 3 meals a day. I also offer water with every meal.

I am wondering... Can I nurse first thing in the morning, FF after the first nap, provide Whole Milk after the second nap, and nurse before bed? Or can I skip formula all together and offer whole milk during the day and still nurse morning and night?

What would you ladies recommend? Maybe I EBF until 10mo and transition to whole milk while still BFing morning and night?

Thanks! :flower:

I would not offer whole milk at all before a year to replace a breast feed. It does not contain the nutrients that your daughter still needs. However, you absolutely can offer formula instead of breastfeeding for any feeds other than the morning and night ones that you want to continue. Your supply will very quickly adapt.
I combo feed and it's a great option. I still suffer from too much weight loss, but I don't have a choice to exclusively BF, so I'm happy with this compromise.

Agree i wouldnt replace with whole milk but no reason you cant use formula x

Cows milk isn't recommended before 12 months so I'd just use formula.

You're already combi feeding if your LO is having solids :flower: yes, you absolutely can do what you are describing (minus the cow's milk IMO).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->