transvaginal scan question... Need some support please!

mel82

Happy mom :-)
Reaction score
I went to have a transvaginal ultrasound today and the dr didn't see the baby yet, only the gestational sac. I'm 7w4d and my lmp was on feb 19. Dh and I bd only on march 3 and 5. Is it possible to be almost 8w along but the baby is less than 6w? Dr said it might be too early to see anything and ordered blood test but I'm just so scared. I had an mc last October and it's so hard for me to accept that I might mc again. Please advise! I need some support and honesty...

:sobs:

Update: I have another ultrasound on thrusday in a bigger hospital, dr also said her scanner is old and I should be able to see sth (if there's anything to see) on Thursday. I'm still having some light nausea - or it might be just anxiety? I'm going crazy... :-(

Try to remain positive, mel. During my last pregnancy, I had a scan at about 7 weeks and saw only the gestational sac and the yolk sac. I left feeling completely gutted, since the ultrasound tech didn't sound very hopeful (and like you, I had experienced a prior miscarriage). I went for another scan four weeks later to find a healthy baby.

I think sometimes when you're in the first few weeks, even though you're certain about your dates, things aren't quite as progressed as you think they should be. I know it's hard, but try to stay upbeat. I'm sure all will work out just fine. Good luck on Thursday!

The general rule of thumb is that a heartbeat can be picked up by the 7th week...BUT as your Dr said, it might be that her ultrasound is a little out dated.

Keeping everything crossed for you xx

Hi mel,

Try not to worry (easier said than done I know). As everyone has said, a lot of the scanning equipment varies and her equipment may have been dated.

I had an emergency transvaginal scan and was dated at 7+2 then. We did hear the heartbeat and got a clear view of the sac and little bubba (who looked like a little bean at that early stage). However, please do not let this worry you. A lot of people could not believe how clear my scan photo was and it was done in a hospital in Barcelona as I was away at the time I had the bleed. So from what I can gather from other people the Hospital in Barcelona had very new and advanced equipment and I was very lucky.

I really, really hope everything goes well for you tomorrow and please let us know how you get on.

BIG :hug: xx

wishing you all the luck in the world, xx hope everything is ok and the equitment was just too old

I have to chip in and say that in my case, i was 8 weeks, and a fetal pole was there, but baby wasn't growing as fast as the sac, which was ahead. It rectified itself, and now i have learnt that the very beginning of pregnancy, the growth rate can really differ. My baby did not grow to the size it should have been until i seen the 13week scan. Good luck x x x

Thank you all guys so much! You can't believe how much I need the positive thoughts... for a minute I'm hopeful and the next one I'm devastated just to think that I might mc again... it's so hard to not worry about it. I'll keep you posted and I hope to have good news, I would really love that. Plus two of my best friends are pg too, one 3w ahead of me and 1 3w behind me... I can't stand thinking that I might lose mine and they will have pity on me forever, everytime they see their own kids. :-(

Thanks for all your comments :)

:hugs:

I have everything crossed for you that baby is just a slow grower!

goodluck for thursday! (is it today? or next thurs)?

Well, it turns out that my dr's scanner was pretty old and perhaps that's why it didn't pick up anything but just the sac - I SAW/HEARD THE HB!!! I'm just so relieved!

The ultrasound tech said today that maybe because the other machine was old and because we did a transvaginal scan it wasn't able to go up the far (baby was on the top corner) and that that happens sometimes. I was pretty convinced something was wrong and that I had to accept a second mc, but was so surprised when he pointed at the blurry flickering thing on the screen and said "well, see here? that flicker is your baby's heartbeat". I just started crying.

Either way, thanks for the support you guys! I might post a picture later :) I hope this gives hope to all those anxious mothers-to-be (like me) that have an early scan and get a 'bad/unknown feedback', it's always good to get a second opinion with a better machine and a radiologist that knows how to recognize these little blurry things on the screen! Good luck to everybody on the wait until the 13th week :)

Congratulations - that's fantastic news - just what you needed, now the heartbeat has been heard, your chances of mc decrease dramatically so you can start enjoying yourself!!!
xx

mel.....i am so pleased for you! seeing that heartbeat is such a relief....i saw ours at 6+4......truely amazing....i sobbed after seeing it as i had convinced myself that it had gone.....

i hope that the next few weeks goes superfast for you too!

and congratulations too! ::yipee:

That is fantastic news mel :hugs:

I'm so pleased for you and can't wait to see the picture. xx

congratulations, really happy everything has worked out xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back