Transvaginal ultrasound??

emrhian91

Reaction score
Hi,

Tomorrow I'm having a scan because of the bleeding and pains I've been having.

I've been told to go with a full bladder so I'm assuming that it will be a normal ultrasound, but I'm nervous that I'll have to have an internal one too.
I've had one before because I had problems (overian cyst), and it hurt so much and I had a panic attack (I'm not good with things like that - swabs etc).
But I'm also worried if an internal would harm the baby?

Is it usually internal at 6 weeks?

I'm so nervous.

I'm terrified they'll tell me I've miscarried and I'm terrified they'll do an internal :(

Sorry but at 6 weeks it probably is going to be an internal one. It won't harm baby any more than sex would.

I thought so.
Ughhh :(

I'm just worried about it harming baby but as long as it's relatively safe that's okay..

I don't like transvaginal ultrasounds either but I had to have one when I had an ultrasound done at 7 weeks because the abdominal couldn't see much. If they're making you have a full bladder then they're probably going to try abdominal first but if they can't see anything they'll probably make you empty your bladder and resort to a transvaginal. Just try not to think about it while they're doing it. It doesn't hurt the baby but be aware that your cervix is extra sensitive so if you have a little spotting afterwards understand that that is normal.

Hugs. It will definitely be a transvaginal at this early. I promise you it will not hurt the baby. The big fear lately is that people are paying for early scans or high def scans that are done through private practice versus hospitals and clinics. So the people doing them aren't properly trained. A transvaginal ultrasound with your licensed gyn is nothing to worry about. I've had scans at 3we, 4w, 5w, 6w, 8w, 9w... none of them harmed my babies. I lost them because of totally unrelated reasons. Try not to panic. Take someone with you and maybe bring headphones to listen to some calming music? It'll all be okay.

It'll be internal at that stage, I had an internal scan at the weekend. Try to stay calm, and relax. I've never known them to do any harm! I had one with my daughter and all was fine :) it's a little uncomfortable, but if it means you get to see your little baby.. I'm sure it's more than worth it for you! Gl x

emrhian91 good luck for today... let us know how it goes. Thinking of you!

Ive woke up feeling so sick this morning
I'm hoping that's a sign that baby is fine and I haven't had a miscarriage like I was worried about and doctor was worried about...

I'm just nervous about the scan, and what they're gonna tell me - I just hope baby is fine.

Fingers crossed hun! Please update once you are back. What time is the scan?

Thinking of you, i'm sure the baby is fine and the bleed was nothing to worry about :)

I had a lot of spotting at the start of this pregnancy, and baby is still growing away in there, had a scan on Saturday :) please keep us updated! x

good luck! I also have a scan tomorrow morning at 9am because of a bit of spotting (brown, pink and red) when I wipe. Terrifying. I have my fingers crossed for you let us know how it goes x

I agree, that early, it's likely transvaginal.

I've had LOTS of transvaginal ultrasounds. I get them every week since being pregnant (I'm almost 7 weeks) and I had a TON while trying to get pregnant. (fertility clinic... that's why)

They absolutely will not harm the baby in ANY way, shape or form. They don't go into your uterus. They aren't comfortable for you! But you don't need to worry about the little bean. It's very protected in there.

I do suggesting checking about the bladder though. I think it's easier for the tech (and less uncomfortable for you) if you empty your bladder right before. Maybe they want you to COME with a full bladder so you can pee right before.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Good luck hun!

Just to note, there have been times at the 6 week mark we've done transvaginal and others not. The reason you are probably being asked to fill your bladder is they will try abdominal first. If they cant get a good image, they will just get you to empty your bladder, and try transvaginal.

Oh wow! An abdominal ultrasound at 6 weeks? That's so interesting. I'm so glad you said that! I would never have known that they ever did that.

Thanks AtomicPink!

I'm a weird one. I prefer the transvaginal ultrasound only because you can normally get a clearer picture. Trust me, I've had enough of them that I can assure you that it doesn't hurt the baby. I have a tipped uterus so it's REALLY far back. They couldn't even pick up my son's heartbeat on a Doppler until I was around 14 weeks so all of my appointments included a transvaginal ultrasound. I have had one so far with little dot and have another one today. They are uncomfortable but at least you'll get to see the baby. :)

Scan went fine!
Baby is perfectly fine.

They said I'm about 4 days behind what my dates are showing but they're saying everything is okay.

I didn't have the internal because they saw what they needed with the abdominal one :)

So relieved!!

Scan went fine!
Baby is perfectly fine.

They said I'm about 4 days behind what my dates are showing but they're saying everything is okay.

I didn't have the internal because they saw what they needed with the abdominal one :)

So relieved!!

Now I'm worried because I went for a scan on Saturday, and they didn't see baby.. Just yolk sac developing. I'm the same stage as you, so why couldn't I see my baby? :( nothing even came up when they tried to do the abdominal scan on me, they had to do internal to even see the sac.. Oh :(

Glad everything went well for you though, I really am! Such a relief :) x

Scan went fine!
Baby is perfectly fine.

So relieved!!

Now I'm worried because I went for a scan on Saturday, and they didn't see baby.. Just yolk sac developing. I'm the same stage as you, so why couldn't I see my baby? :( nothing even came up when they tried to do the abdominal scan on me, they had to do internal to even see the sac.. Oh :(

Glad everything went well for you though, I really am! Such a relief :) x

Sometimes it depends on the spec of the machine they are using, the technician and I guess timing of conception :) the tiniest differences can make a scan easier or harder to see

so happy for you!!!

Was thinking of you all day hun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"