travel at 34weeks

spicyorange

Reaction score
Hi girls, I'm just popping over from first tri to ask some advice. I have a trip booked 6weeks before my due date. It's a 6-7h drive and I'm be away for a week, we could break it up over 2 days traveling if we really needed to and I really want to go but am I nuts to travel that close to edd or will it be ok. Dh will drive (all the way if needed) but should i cancel??

My dr allowed me to go to Disney with DS at 34 weeks which was a 21hr drive...this time I was cleared to go again at 34 weeks but due to pregnancy complications I was told no right before thanksgiving at 30wks

It is up to you. Odds are that it will be fine... Though I can't say a long car trip would appeal to me that late in the game ;) my dr advises no travel after 30/32 weeks but airlines take you up to 36. Take from that what you will!

If you have booked already anyway, you have probably already committed to whatever their cancellation policy is (can you cancel at all? If yes- When is the cut off?) Seems that you may as well wait it out and see how you are feeling closer to the time. :flower:

You'll feel flippin uncomfortable but other than that I'd go for it.
Xx

I flew across the county at the holidays. I was 33 weeks. I think driving is even better bc if you need to get out and walk around you can do that whenever. Maybe letting DH know you may need some extra breaks to stretch. You should be fine unless you have specific complications.

Thanks girls, are going keep it for now and only cancel if the dr/midwife says I need to or if things get complicated. Good luck for your births.xx

I did an 11 hour flight at 30 weeks and the return at 34 weeks pregnant. I had a very easy pregnancy with no complications. I had excellent travel insurance and plans for what if my baby comes at 32 weeks while I am away. I contacted a hospital on the other side and my travel insurance to see what would happen.

After all that planning ... My little boy was born at 42w+2d :haha:

Flight in my opinion is easier than car though as you don't need to stop the plane to pee every 20 minutes which might be the case at 34 weeks :haha:

I would just avoid travelling to a foreign country where i have no medical coverage. I just read a story about a couple who travelled overseas when she was 34 weeks pregnant. Her waters broke and she had to give birth there. Now they are stuck with a 90,000$ hospital bill. As far as going for a 7 hour drive, just make sure to break it up and get up and walk a couple of times. You should be fine.

And don't forget to take your notes with you just in case!...

As long as you're not going to the middle of nowhere and there is still medical assistance where you will be, I think you will be fine (provided that your pregnancy goes well). I just got back from holidays a couple of weeks ago at 35 weeks. It was also about a 6 hour drive (with an 18 month old and a puppy!) and all was fine. Rather drive than fly - at least you can get yourself to the nearest hospital in needed! Enjoy the break before baby arrives.

I hope you don't mind public toilets. At 34 weeks pregnant, literally find yourself needing to pee every 5 minutes regardless if your bladder is full. I hate public toilets, but when I go on a long road trip i know I have no choice but at least I can hold it in a few hours at a time to limit the amount of public bathrooms I will have to visit. Every 5 minutes, means many stops and many "special" bathrooms to discover. PssssT...carry lysol bathroom cleaner in your purse. :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->