Traveling 5 weeks before due date?

Cewsbaby

Mom of 2 boys! Hoping for a 3rd
Reaction score
I am popping over a day early from 2nd tri to see what your thought are on this ladies! I really need some help.

I will need to travel about 8 hours or so for my baby shower. I am a military wife and my parents want to see me before I give birth! I was planning to have my baby shower at the beginning of February as that would give me about 8 weeks before I was due and I figured I would be way more comfortable driving that far. I have run into a few issues. First my parents sold their house and are in the process of getting a new house that they wont be in for another 2 weeks which leaves 2 weeks for them to move in and set up and have the shower. Not sure if that will be enough time for them at all. Now I find out that my sister will be in Washington for a Law Firm Internship or something like that and my MIL (who lives in upstate NY) wont be able to attend due to my SIL who is due with her little boy the next week. So it looks like the only time I can do it where both can make it will be the end of February which is about 5 weeks before my due date. I know that if something goes wrong and I go into labor while visiting my mom then I will be ok as she works with high risk pregnancy's and her doctors are people we have know for years.

I guess my question is would you travel that far so close to your due date or would you do it earlier? I feel like if I do it earlier I may regret not having my sister and my MIL there but I worry that by going 5 weeks before that I could go into labor on the side of the road or something equally terrifying!

With you being a ftm, I'd say Unless you have some complication where your doc seems to think you will go early, I would say that it should be safe to travel at 35 weeks (uncomfortable but safe)
As always, talk to your doc about this and the risks/benefits for your situation. Best of luck.

Definitely check with your doctor, but like pp said, you are most likely fine. I just drove about 4 hours at 35.4 and I was a bit uncomfortable but not super bad. I was told to make sure to stretch legs and wiggle them a bit or stop if you are the driver to ensure circulation and drink water to avoid dehydration, though that is less of a concern while driving than flying. Make sure to check with your insurance, too. I found out mine has a cut off for coverage while travelling where they might not provide coverage if I elected to travel outside covered docs ( after 36 weeks for me).

Thanks ladies. I have an appt on the 6th so I will make sure to ask my doctor then. I know I will be covered as I am Tricare through the military and I don't think there is a single place that will not take Tricare. In the event of an emergency I am allowed to go to any hospital but it will just mean paperwork. I think I will be ok and DH will be driving. I just need to know so I can plan and get out those shower invites!

I agree with the others. As long as your dr says it's OK, then you should be fine. You might want extra stops to stretch, but if you're not driving you can always move around a bit more. I totally understand wanting to get as many people that you care about there for the shower. Have fun!

Like others have said, I would just confirm the OK with your doctor, and if your DH is driving, all the better! At 33 weeks I just took a 7 hour train ride for a family wedding and truthfully, it wasn't that bad. Just stay hydrated and make some stops to stretch - I did need to do a little walking around after because of back pain from sitting so long. Also, I'm having my shower at 36 weeks (granted not that far of a drive) but it was the only time that worked out well with holidays and football (DH and family are nuts) and I'd rather chance going into labor early and missing it versus having one without my family so I hear you!

My only suggestion would be to prepare as if you could go into labor while away (you likely won't) but have your hospital bag with you, house clean, whatever else you need so you don't stress at all. :baby:

Well I asked my doctor what he thought about me traveling and while he said he prefers no traveling when you hit 34 weeks and on he doesnt see a problem with me going as long as my pregnancy remains complication free. I do plan to take my car seat and hospital and baby bag with me just to be on the safe side! Hopefully nothing will happen though as most of the things I will need for Bryce will be given to me at the baby shower.

I'm stalking from 2nd tri too :)
I have to travel within 3 weeks of my due date now because I need to go home to the U.S. to have the baby. Definitely not ideal and I am crossing my fingers on it because I have a 13 hr flight home plus another 3 hour drive after that. I just hope I can get my business class upgrade!

Good luck with your travel and hope all goes well

I'm definitely not traveling within a month of my due date. 5 weeks is more than a month, but still close. I believe I had my baby shower at 33 weeks and was completely comfortable with that. I was only 1.25 hours from home though. I suppose it's a plus that you have doctors on the other side that you trust and that's definitely a bonus. However, my first labor was 3 hours, so an 8 hour drive would have been way too far for me, had it coincided with labor.

As long as your doctor says it is okay, which as I see already has. So instead, travel tips!

I'm 4 weeks away and the hour ride to work lately has been driving me crazy, but it was no where near as bad as the 2.5 hour ride to my parents several weeks before.

Definitely wiggle your legs a lot. Stay hydrated (which is hard, because it will make you pee more, and that is no fun on a car ride). I would plan plenty of extra time and try to take a break every 1-2 hours. Use the bathroom and walk around a little before getting back in. It's important to keep your circulation up!

Best of luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->