Traveling internationally at 31/32 weeks

anneliese

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with this? Any advice? My doctor is ok with me going, but said to take some aspirin before flying to reduce blood clots. The flight is about 16 hours both ways and my biggest concern is how to remain comfortable :wacko:

Does anyone have any experience with this? Any advice? My doctor is ok with me going, but said to take some aspirin before flying to reduce blood clots. The flight is about 16 hours both ways and my biggest concern is how to remain comfortable :wacko:

Is the airline happy for you to travel? I wasn't allowed to fly after 28 weeks. Drink lots of water, walk every hour and do exercises.

Its fine if you have a normal pregnancy but aspirin is a no no

https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/aspirin-during-pregnancy/AN01897

Also most airlines have no issues but virgin doesn't allow international travel after 28 weeks

I would def check with the airline. We flew with Etihad when I was 20 weeks & they were really questioning how far along I was when I checked in & when I got on the plane.

If you are ok to fly, def get some compression socks, drink plenty of water & get up & walk around when ever you can.

When I flew from London to New York at 24 weeks it was the most uncomfortable experience ever. I decided then and there I wasn't going to fly again for the rest of the pregnancy.
It took 3 days for the swelling in my legs to go down. I was really afraid I'd get a DVT.

Do you have insurance cover for pregnancy where you're going? Also, do check with airline. Maybe bring a doctors note too saying you can travel.

When I flew from London to New York at 24 weeks it was the most uncomfortable experience ever. I decided then and there I wasn't going to fly again for the rest of the pregnancy.
It took 3 days for the swelling in my legs to go down. I was really afraid I'd get a DVT.

Just check with your airline before hand and you will need to travel with a letter from your doctor saying your safe to travel. I just travelled with British Airways and they let you travel up to 36 weeks with Dr's letter. I was never questioned once for the letter, so all airlines are different. I will say though that I wouldn't recommend it unless its really necessary. I was so uncomfortable, couldn't sleep and was very restless. My flight was only 6 hours and that was enough for me so can't imagine doing a 16 hour flight! I wore flight socks too which helped with swelling. Its your decision at the end of the day but bear in mind its not going to be comfy :) xx

Also following from the other ladies advice aspirin is ok in pregnancy when given with drs advice and it regularly prescribed particularly to larger ladies with v high bmis as a matter of protocol xxx

I'm flying interstate (if all goes to plan) at 35 weeks then back again at 36 weeks. My doctor is happy for me to fly just said to check the airlines. Checked their site and contacted them as well, it is less than 3hrs and single, no complications so I am good to fly right up until pretty much the end. I am not looking forward to it too much, don't know what to expect being that far in! But at least it is a short flight! I couldn't imagine 16 hours! I know as well I need a medical letter/clearance from my doctor, best to check with the airlines, they might have good tips on their website too :)

Thanks for all the replies ladies, not sure if they sell the flight socks here normally, so if not, does anyone know if they're normally sold at airports? I was also thinking of checking out Mothercare to see if they had some there.

Just check with your airline before hand and you will need to travel with a letter from your doctor saying your safe to travel. I just travelled with British Airways and they let you travel up to 36 weeks with Dr's letter. I was never questioned once for the letter, so all airlines are different. I will say though that I wouldn't recommend it unless its really necessary. I was so uncomfortable, couldn't sleep and was very restless. My flight was only 6 hours and that was enough for me so can't imagine doing a 16 hour flight! I wore flight socks too which helped with swelling. Its your decision at the end of the day but bear in mind its not going to be comfy :) xx

I've flown internationally many times and I know how uncomfortable it can be when you're perfectly healthy and non pregnant, so I'm really dreading the discomfort of the flight considering I'm already uncomfortable all the time and have trouble sleeping in a normal bed. I would normally avoid traveling like this, but I'm going for my grandfather's funeral and I know I'd regret it if I missed it :nope:

Which country are you in? Maybe check online for flight socks, otherwise the airport should sell them, or a chemist?

Forgot to add, y flight was to Australia & back to the UK, going there was fine at 16 weeks, but coming back at 20 weeks was horrible. I got no sleep & was uncomfortable, baby wriggled & around like crazy when the plane landed & my jet lag lasted 3 weeks :(

Its fine if you have a normal pregnancy but aspirin is a no no

https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/aspirin-during-pregnancy/AN01897

Also most airlines have no issues but virgin doesn't allow international travel after 28 weeks
My consultant has me on daily aspirin until 37 weeks.

I was booked with Virgin to fly from the UK to the US next week (Virgin will allow you up to 36th week with a doctors note). Doctor was happy, midwife was happy but I couldn't get medical insurance to cover me in case I had the baby over there. It was for a work conference and I desperately wanted to go - I cried when I couldn't, lol. I hope you get things sorted
Rx

You can get compression socks from Boots, I bought mine for Buy One Get One Half Off.. They kinda look like stockings, nude or black. Good luck with flying and also bring an extra pillow or ask for extra one just in case.

Your midwife may be able to provide stockings. Air Japan only let me fly prior to 26 weeks but that was to Australia.

When DH and I were going on an 18 hr road trip, I was advised (by a woman with 12 children, but not my doctor or anything as I didn't ask him about it... was early 2nd tri) to take a rolled up towel to place under my knees. Honestly it didn't make a huge difference then, but actually now sometimes if I'm sleeping on my back (which, according to my doctor, is fine if it's comfortable, and since I wake up on my back more often then not, I should be fine) I place a pillow or towel under my knees and it really does help! I would totally try something similar if I had a long flight or car trip ahead of me at this point.

Also I'm pretty sure it's standard recommendation that if you're flying while pregnant remember to get up every so often and take a short walk down the aisle of the plane.

I was flying the whole pregnancy until my 28th week for business, and had no problems at all.
For such a long flight I would definitely recommend compression tights or stockings for your legs. Drink plenty of water and ask for an aisle seat so you can go to the bathroom easily.

At this point you need an ok from your doctor for the airline to see, they usually don't want 3rd tri women on their commercial flights.

Hi I'm just back from travelling to US. Flew out at 24 weeks and back at 26 weeks. I had to change flights on the way so travel took about 14 hours. I had to inject clexane in the mornings I flew which was prescribed by my consultant. Also I got TED stockings which they measure for in the pharmacy. These are better than flight socks as they are longer on your leg and higher compression. I was fine but the airlines don't give you enough to drink so you have to ask. I changed my seat to an aisle or emergency exit where possible. I also had travel insurance nd carried a letter from my doc. Good luck :thumbup:

Thanks for all the replies ladies, not sure if they sell the flight socks here normally, so if not, does anyone know if they're normally sold at airports? I was also thinking of checking out Mothercare to see if they had some there.

I've flown internationally many times and I know how uncomfortable it can be when you're perfectly healthy and non pregnant, so I'm really dreading the discomfort of the flight considering I'm already uncomfortable all the time and have trouble sleeping in a normal bed. I would normally avoid traveling like this, but I'm going for my grandfather's funeral and I know I'd regret it if I missed it :nope:

Maybe you could order the flight socks online so you have them before hand, try Amazon. I understand your reasoning why you want to fly just be mentally prepared. Ask for an aisle seat, take plenty of walks up and down the plane so blood is moving around your legs etc and drink plenty of water. Best of luck :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->