Travelling with 3 month old baby

Kalia101

Reaction score
Hi ladies I am pregnant with my first baby and I am about to ask some questions which are probably really silly questions...

In October we have wedding we are going to in Ireland baby will be 3 months old then - the flight is only half an hour and we are in Ireland for 3 nights - here are my questions:

I know on the flight I will hold the baby but can I take my car seat and chassis for the pushchair with me to Ireland.. i need the car seat in Ireland as we are renting a car and i thought instead of taking the whole travel system with me i will take the car seat and the chassis of the pushchair that the car seat attaches to... will this have to come on as hand luggage or do i need to put it through as proper luggage?

also the hotel we are staying in i am not sure if they have travel cots so will i need to take a travel cot with me?

I like to be organised and right now this is one thing I have no idea about is travelling with babies help meeee haha :) xxx

You can take the car seat and chassis usually free, normally they put it in the hold.
You can borrow a car seat from rental companies and you could ask the hotel in advance about the cot, most have them but you can get really small folding ones.
I recommend a sling wrap or carrier for in the airport.
I travelled with an 8 week old and was 10 weeks on the way home and it was a doddle.
Xx

Most airlines will let you take two items for free so they can be pram (I'm sure chassis counts), carseat or travel cot. If you want to take all three you'll have to pay for one.

Might be worth looking for a pop-up cot as they are really lightweight, fold up very small and fit inside a suitcase.
This kind of thing but make sure you get the appropriate size for your baby's age/weight:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product...m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=05AY835AQNF7MX6MXP2K

Travelling with little babies is easier than you might think. Especially for a little hop across the water (I've done it the other way round!). Will you be breastfeeding? That makes it so easy as you can feed baby the whole flight if need be!
If you are bottle feeding you get extra liquid allowance for formula. They might make you taste it when going through departures.

Thankyou ladies you have put my mind at ease I was thinking how am I going to do this lol :) xxx

We travelled from the UK to South Africa a few times when our son was teeny tiny, and then from the UK to Canada a few times a few months later. Honestly the smaller they are the easier it is! At your stage you won't need to think about baby food or snacks, or entertainment- bonus!!
My sixpence worth... Definitely check in as much of the luggage as you can. Take a baby bjorn or something like that to carry him or her in. I see you can now buy these awesome flight crib things that go on your knee and fix onto the tray table in front of you. But I think for such a short hop you won't need anything like that. Breast feeding is sooo easy and keeps them happy all the way if needs be. Don't be shy to be the people who are at the gate waiting for them to assist "passengers with small children"!
Definitely check with your hotel about crib/cot situation and I always email ahead and ask for extra towels and an extra luggage rack thing so I can make a changing table in a hotel room ( I just don't tell them that!). I also ask for a room away from the bar or restaurant and preferably on the ground floor (crikey I sound like a nightmare guest!) I also ensure it's a non smoking room.
If you do pump, or bottle feed you can buy awesome collapsible travel sterilisers which I used for dummies or bottles for pumping. I also - when they are a bit bigger -always pack a light playmat or blanket so they can roll around but not on hotel carpets!
We travel loads with work, so feel free to message me if there are specific things! You'll love it! It's travelling with toddlers that's the killer haha! :)

haha Dr Mum you're not wrong!
We travelled loads with LO before she stopped breastfeeding or could walk - long haul flights were a doddle!

This year we will be driving from Ireland to France for a camping holiday and I'm not a bit worried about the 10 week old baby we'll have by then - it's the toddler I predict to be a challenge!

I will be traveling with my newborn (possibly around 2-3 months old) from Hong Kong to the Midwest USA, so that's gonna be a challenge. this trip will be a 24-hour ordeal, i feel bad for those stuck on the plane with us coz i was one of those people that hated when babies are on board lol

We plan (all being well) to take our newborn home to the UK from Hong Kong at Christmas this year - so he/she will be 2 months old on two 12+ hour flights. Not looking forward to it much but we will survive I'm sure!

I would check to see if you can rent a car seat as the way your luggage gets thrown I wouldn't trust them with my car seat. I have read you can take them on board for baby to use but you need to buy an extra ticket as it will be on a seat x

I'm looking at getting one if these for this next baby. Haven't used one obviously so can't comment on how useful it *really* is, but I'm tempted to give it a go. That way, no car seat to check or pay for a seat, baby carrier for airport, ta dah! As the pp says rent a car seat with your car, they are always in my experience brand new. Most times I have taken them right out the plastic myself and it save yours getting battered or having to lug it round. Avis were fab with even installing it for me etc.

(FYI this baby seat thing... they have them on offer on zulily right now for waaaay cheaper! I just couldn't get the link to work for some reason.)

https://www.amazon.ca/FlyeBaby-Infa...=UTF8&qid=1391962480&sr=8-2&keywords=Flyebaby

Will try the link again..... Baby brain seems to be attacking my IT skills... Sorry! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->