Travelling with an 11 month old

LynAnne

Mum to 2 Boys
Reaction score
My parents have surprised us with a holiday to Ibiza in October with the whole family and now my brain is on overdrive for everything I'll need for DS.

DS will be 11 months when we go on holiday so I've got a bunch of things to consider. I know he'll still need a couple of bottles during the day so I'll need a tin of formula, bottles etc. I figure Milton tablets will do the trick for sterilising, right? He'll probably have lots of fruits and such while we are there but I think I'll probably pack some snacks and pouches too.

We'll probably take an umbrella buggy and possibly my ergo baby carrier but what about car seat? How does that work with transfers from the airport to hotel and vice versa?

Does anyone have any hints or tips for travelling and holidaying with a baby?

I think you have a good idea of what you might need. The food is pretty similar, so he'll have lots of things he can eat there, but I would bring some snacks and familiar (non-perishable) things from home. We personally stopped sterilising at 6 months (because we were going on holiday), and many people aren't still sterilising at 11 months, but if you plan to, then yes, Milton's is your best bet. A wrap or carrier is ideal for the plane (and also some snacks and formula, you can buy it post-security in the airport) and just getting around. The car seat is up to you. I've not traveled to Spain with mine and I have heard that the car seats used for transfers are sometimes questionable. But as he's still little, your car seat will be small and free so not much of a hassle to bring if you want. We travelled to the U.S. earlier this year (mine is 4) and we booked a private airport transfer with a car seat, which worked great. They were lovely and the seat was in great shape, but I would ask for recommendations specifically at your arrival airport (or look online for reviews, that's how I found the company we used).

If you don't mind me jumping on this thread, I'm traveling with my kiddos for the first time ever in October. DS1 will have just turned three and DS2 will have just turned one a couple days before. We are flying from Minnesota to Florida. (United states obviously) I've heard you can check strollers and car seats for free, but I'm slightly freaking out about packing and such. Are you allowed to bring formula on the plane? DS wasn't done with formula until about 13 months old. It took us a while to transition to milk.

Ashley, I don't think you can take formula through security but you can get formula ordered into Boots at the airport for you to pick up once you are through security. I obviously have no experience of this but it's what I've heard from friends.

Thanks MindEutopia. I think we are getting a coach transfer so I don't think a car seat will be much use? I'm guessing I can just sit him on my knee with the seat belt round both of us? I'm more worried/nervous about the airport transfer than the actual flight! :haha:

I think we are getting a coach transfer so I don't think a car seat will be much use? I'm guessing I can just sit him on my knee with the seat belt round both of us? I'm more worried/nervous about the airport transfer than the actual flight! :haha:

I don't think putting the lap belt round both of you is a good idea. I know in principle it seems more secure, but your weight in a collision situation would crush your child against the belt. I know that in a taxi from the airport a child seat is required if it will be travelling outside the city but not if it is staying within the city. Really unsure about the coach...could the travel company make enquiries about how 11month old can be transported safely in a coach????

Good point noon_child. My biggest thing is I can imagine a coach will have the approprate seat belts for a car seat. So many that I have travelled on in the past have only had lap belts.

ETA Would it be better just to take the car seat and pop him in it even if it doesn't secure to the seat. Just on the basis that it would give him at least a little protection?

Lapbelts are just fine for carseats. Assuming rear facing for an 11 month old. I would never ever put a person in a lapbelt though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->