Treatment of hypertension/pre eclampsia, what meds were you on?

Olivias_mum

Reaction score
hiya, my little girl was 12 weeks prem due to pre eclampsia/fetal distress and im now 13 weeks pregnant with my second baby. I saw the midwife on thrusday who sent me to hospital because of my bp, i saw the gynae consultant and she said she needed to increase my meds but didnt know what to do as they were all maximum dosage so asked me to come back on monday to see my obs consultant. I saw him yesterday and my bp was 160/110 he said he needed to increase something but didnt know what to change as they are all maximum dosage so he got the medical reg, he said he didnt know what to do as it isnt his area so they basically said go home and wait for a referrall letter to the cardiologists!they didnt change any of my meds or increase anything and just sent me on my way so im waiting for this letter but in the meantime walking around with BP through the roof! At the moment im on Methyldopa 1000mg 3 times a day (maximum),Labetalol 800mg 4 times a day(over maximum, max dosage is 2400 a day) Nifedipine 40mg twice a day(maximum) Doxazosin 8mg once a day (which isnt recommended in pregnancy) and aspirin 75mg once a day. Does anyone know any other meds that are safe in pregnancy as none of the doctors here seem to. I know i can have IV labetalol or IV hydralazine but they are only safe in the short term and i have 11 weeks to go just til viability!

Wow hun you are having such a hard time :hugs:
I am sorry I can't be of help with regards he meds, but what I would say is maybe they should have perscribed you complete bedrest until they are able to bring ur bp down? I don't know if you work or not, but if you do then it might be worth makking and appointment to see your GP, who I would imagine would write you a sick-note.

I had severe PE with my daughter, she was born at 26+3 in Aug 09, we want another child when the time is right, but I am terrified, so I will be watching how you get on, and really hope you get to cook your bubs for a full 40 weeks!

PS - if it were me I would be on the phone to the hospital making a fuss tomorrow (but I am a pushy madam)!!

I read some crazy article that said chocolate helps prevent the onset!

I also had pre e now I don't know off any other med but you may want to try the preeclamsia chat site now those ladies on that website will know if their are any other mess you can take the forumn is dedicated to pre e only I wish you all the best

Don't have much advice on meds sorry but only can give my story.

Wow thats quite a lot of meds. Personally I had severe pre-e with my daughter in 2005. I was on Methlydopa from 18 weeks and at 31 weeks on Labetalol but it did not suit me, I needed a lot of monitoring and was very close to kidney failure and she was born at 32weeks I had Nifedipine after my daughter being born. My second baby I delivered 26+2 I had high bp from the start I was on methlydopa at 16weeks as I did not want to have meds at an early stage as I just got over a miscarriage and started Labetalol at the time and felt it had something to do with the miscarriage. I did not reach my maximum dosage of methlydopa and did not have pre-e but when the placenta was examined it had matured a long time before its time, to what should have been a 26wk placenta behaved as a 42wker thus it shut down and did not provide nutrients and he was born severe IGUR. I did a lot of walking in my second pregnancy to lower my bp naturally and also used to lie down alot, not constantly but as much as I could which helped. Also cutting down in salty foods is helpful. I would like to mention that the first trimester apparently the bp can increase and start to lower down in the second thats what my consultant said whether its right or not I'm not sure.

Good luck to u and I hope things go well. I know its hard with another baby to look after but if u can rest and meditation/breathing techniques help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->