Treatment which could increase chance of premature birth in future pregnancies?

AngelofTroy

Reaction score
I had my first ever smear test recently, and the results came back that I have moderate dyskaryosis (abnormal cells which left untreated may become cancerous).

On Tuesday I have to go for a colposcopy to further assess whether I need them removed. The procedure is a simple outpatient one and they may even do it the same day. However, the treatment can increase chances of a premature (27-36 week) birth in future pregnancies, from a 1 in 20 to a 1 in 8 chance.

I am very lucky to have a healthy 6 month old baby boy who was born at full term, but our family isn't complete. The lady on the phone at the hospital said that even if the cells are precancerous, some women choose to delay the treatment until they are done having children, as some cells go back to normal and most will not turn into cancer for 10-15 years if left untreated.

We weren't planning on more children until LO was at least 3, but now we're so worried.

It might all be a worry about nothing, but if Tuesdays examination shows that I need treatment, we basically have 3 options:

1) Have the treatment and continue with our previous plans to TTC in 3+ years hoping to carry to full term despite increased chances.

2) Delay treatment until after next pregnancy and TTC immediately.

3) Have treatment and not have any more children.

What would you do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"