Tricky eater..need ideas..

nkbapbt

Double Preemie Momma
Reaction score
Sorry for the multi posts..but this is a totally different subject and needed it's own post. Most of you probably know my son was born 16 weeks early and due to a heart surgery side affect has a paralyzed vocal cord, which means when he swallows thin or purees he swallows trace amounts into his lungs (because the vocal cord is paralyzed open which means it no longer protects his airway). That all being said, he FINALLY passed his fourth swallow study..on thickened purees with cereal, which basically looked like glue (oh well, he passed!).

So now I can feed him lumpy purees, mashed foods and meltable foods.

I have to admit I am WAY behind in my feeding knowledge because we have gone for 8 months without being able to feed him.

I need suggestions on what kinds of different things I can give him?

I know the basics, rusks, puffed foods, mashed/steamed veggies/fruits...what else?

Thanks!

I ended up getting a couple of baby recipe books to give me ideas, I'm not the world's greatest cook! The main starting one though is baby rice which some people try on its own at first but I started mixing in fruit straight away as Aisling didn't like it plain. It tastes quite milky so it's a nice way to introduce pureed / mashed fruit and veg. Pretty much any fruit will be fine but other than banana I think they'll need to be cooked, then mashed or grated. As for veg, the orange ones seem to be the sweetest so babies like them better - carrot, sweet potato, butternut squash etc.

Or you could go straight for BLW and finger foods? I'm not sure if that would work for his circumstances but might be worth a try.

Good luck!

mashed potatoes/sweet potatoes, pastas maybe?, any soft veggies, fruits, toast fingers, cottage cheese, cubes of cheese

Are you giving him finger foods yet? Toast, crackers, cucumber, soft cooked carrots etc?

Meal wise i just make up mini portions of adult stuff, since your trying to keep him veggie how about something like, carrot, courgette and peppers cooked with some baby spaghetti then mashed or blended with some tomato/pasta sauce?

Are you giving him fish? You could make mini fish pies, flake some cod, a few peas, sweetcorn and some mashed potato then ass a white or cheese sauce and mash that up

I dont think I will give him fish, mostly because no one here eats it.

Thanks for the ideas :flower:...I gave in and bought a baby feeding book. =))

Edward has fallen in love with stew. It was beef, carrot, potato, celery, and a little onion. I made it in the crock pot for myself and ended up pureeing some for E.

You could do something similar once you've introduced each of the foods separetely ( to check for alergies) and, of course, using a different protein :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->