Trimethoprim

halullat

Reaction score
Hello, I have been prescribed trimethoprim (2 tablets per day for 3 days) and I am currently breastfeeding my LO (12 days old). It is for a suspected UTI but now I think the chances are the pain when I wee is more due to the c-section so I feel loathed to carry on taking it - I have taken two tablets so far - as I am very concerned about it passing on to my baby.

My GP said to take it and then if the pain doesn't go away to go back to the doctors to find out what is causing the pain, but it says in the leaflet to not use when breastfeeding, although my GP says it is okay for short term use. Do you think it is worth carrying on? Or should I pump and formula feed for the next few days?

Ive just been prescribed this today as well. For a UTI. im in absolute agony and feeling ill with it, so im taking it. I called back when I saw it said not to use while breastfeeding and they said the same, that it does pass to the milk, but in short term use its fine. I do feel bad taking it knowing it will pass, but I cant not take it I feel so ill.

If you dont take it and you have got a UTI it can get very serious, but if you dont think it is a UTI you could go back to the doctors for another opinion.

Thank you for your reply, I just worry that he'll have an allergic reaction or something. I went back to the doctors and asked again and spoke to the postnatal advice people who also said it was fine, but I have an anxiety disorder and this is really flaring it up as I so don't want to hurt him, especially if I'm wrong about the fact that it is a UTI x

I've also had it - it's totally fine in small doses. I think for long term use it's not advised. Pain on peeing isn't good so it may be worth just taking them rather than risk feeling more unwell. x

The dose over 3 days is not a problem whilst breastfeeding.

Lovely, thank you all. I shall try to not stress about it! x

I don't know much about medicines and how they work but I wouldn't of seen a problem as my LO has been on it daily since 4 weeks old. (sorry just wondering about that now!)

As others have said though it will be fine for short term use :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->