Trying expressing but doesnt take bottle?

coz

Mummy to 2 boys
Reaction score
Anyone have any advice, sometimes ive been expressing, I dont often need to express but i have another days work in 2 weeks before i officially go back from mat leave next year and i will have to express as i will be gone 7 hours but my worry is he just plays with the teat on the bottle and wont really drink it, i brought a 'closer to nature' bottle which said it was for breastfed babies but it made no difference, any advice? Im thinking of trying him with 1 bottle every few days just to get used to it? hes drunk from the bottle when ive expressed before with a bit of a struggle but last time he wouldnt have any ? :dohh::wacko:

Can you try someone else offering the bottle to him? It may be easier to get him started that way.

Can you try someone else offering the bottle to him? It may be easier to get him started that way.

Yep my husbands been trying but no luck, stange thing is hes drank out of it 3 times before but now he just plays with it like he cant suck :nope:x

How old is your baby now? My now 10 month old started daycare from 5 months to 8 months (then I had summer break from 9 months until next week). She'd randomly take an oz or 2 A DAY from a bottle while I was gone. That's it. She just made up for it before and after daycare in nursing sessions. She'll drink other liquids from straw cups and sippies but refuses them and spits out the liquid if it's breastmilk.

I'm telling you this even though it doesn't solve your problem because it 1). Did not effect her growth at all and 2). Some babies will only drink enough to take the edge off until they see mommy again.

We did also switch from slow flow to medium flow nipples after trying every single bottle on the market. Medela breastmilk bottles with medium flow nipples were the only ones that she'd take up to 2 oz. from while I was away, (and she'd only take it in a silent dark room that was distraction free).

Mine sometimes plays with his bottle too, and we'll have to just keep at it for 30 minutes or more until he decides to drain the thing in about 2 minutes.

How old is your baby now? My now 10 month old started daycare from 5 months to 8 months (then I had summer break from 9 months until next week). She'd randomly take an oz or 2 A DAY from a bottle while I was gone. That's it. She just made up for it before and after daycare in nursing sessions. She'll drink other liquids from straw cups and sippies but refuses them and spits out the liquid if it's breastmilk.

I'm telling you this even though it doesn't solve your problem because it 1). Did not effect her growth at all and 2). Some babies will only drink enough to take the edge off until they see mommy again.

We did also switch from slow flow to medium flow nipples after trying every single bottle on the market. Medela breastmilk bottles with medium flow nipples were the only ones that she'd take up to 2 oz. from while I was away, (and she'd only take it in a silent dark room that was distraction free).

Hes only 10 weeks old, i guess il just have to keep trying xx

Have you tried pressing a little on the nipple while you are feeding your baby? If you press/squeeze a little on the nipple (not the part that actually protrudes like the nipple... So I guess the areola of the bottle? :haha: ) the liquid will come out more easily. Maybe you could try doing that while he's on the bottle so he doesn't need to work so much for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->