Trying to drop afternoon bottle = refusal to nap!

Sarah Lou 80

Reaction score
Arghhhh! I've decided to drop my 16 month olds afternoon bottle. He has 3 bottles a day, 3 meals a day plus an am and pm snack. He sometimes has one nap, sometimes 2. He doesn't tend to ask for the bottle but, out of habit I've been giving it to him and he drinks it. Sometimes all, sometimes just a few ounces.

Today is a 2 nap day. I was out with him this afternoon and he was distracted so I thought I'd try not offering the bottle. He had a decent snack instead. We got home but he just will not nap and now it's probably too late in the day and he's gotten overtired and cranky and, because I'm tired and feeling a bit iffy, I caved and gave him some milk. Not his usual amount but a bit.

I'm so cross with myself as I've probably ruined his appetite for dinner now, plus I'm letting him sit watching tele as it's keeping him from melting down!!

I guess he could have just been a bit overtired anyway and that's why he's refusing to nap? Who knows?!

Did anyone else find this with dropping a bottle and refusing to nap? He doesn't fall asleep with the bottle but I guess his tummy just wasn't satisfied enough with snacks?

Well he ate dinner but didn't want much of his bedtime bottle. He's gone to bed all in a muddle. I feel like a terrible parent :( I think I'm having one of those days!

Awww don't feel bad hun. :hugs:

Is there a reason why you wanted to drop the afternoon bottle? My LO was a big eater and drinker and I think he was still on 3 bottles at that age, plus 3 meals and 2 snacks lol. Greedy monkey. :haha: He is 25 months now and still has a morning bottle and a bedtime bottle. Although just recently we cut his milk from 8oz to 6oz, which LO was not happy with at all but soon got used to it.

My LO wouldn't fall asleep for a nap either if he was used to having his milk. In the end I just waited for him to drop a bottle himself, only because I couldn't cope with the non stop crying if he didn't get it lol. :flower:

Don't feel bad! Apparently they can have too much milk - at our sons two year check up they asked how much milk he had and they told us it was too much so we have cut back. But he has always had a big bottle (now cup) in the morning and a big one before bed too. I'd stick to your guns cutting it out - maybe today was a one off and tomorrow it will be easier? You're not a bad parent you're sensitive to his needs and don't want to upset him which is lovely :) x

Thank you ladies. I was worried that he was having too much milk and, whilst he is a fairly good eater, I feel like he could be better, particularly at dinner time, as compared to friends children of a similar age, he doesn't eat as much.

Think I might gradually reduce the amount and see how it goes. I think I'll do it on a day when we are at home all day and he's in good spirits and not overtired! My bad!

If he doesn't take to it very well, I think I'll do the same Natasha and wait for him to drop it himself. Maybe I'll reduce the amount in all his bottles? Will see what tomorrow brings :)

Thanks again ladies!

But please don't beat yourself up - it sounds like he is doing so well :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->