Trying to get back into breastfeeding... need advice please

Rach & Bumpy

Mummy to Brooke & TTC#2
Reaction score
I breastfed Brooke exclusivly for 4 weeks but the past four weeks i have really let it slip. It started off topping up after a feed to totally replacing feeds. I was only feeding her once a day first thing in the morning.

So last Wednesday i tried to change this. I so want to breastfeed all the time but my boobs are just empty. So the HV came around and said to constantly keep her on the boob for 48 hours and my supply should increase. Well it didn't. And Brooke was screaming as she was so hungry. I had to put her back on the bottle. :cry:

My boobs only seem to tingle and feel a little full first thing in the morning.... i so want to do this and wondered if anyone had any advice on how to increase my supply.

Thanks

There is a tablet you can buy over the counter which helps to increase milk supply. Motilium10 :hug: And drink LOTS :D

I cant really help as Ive never exclusively bf.... but I did let it sleep for a bit and i felt like I had completely ran out!! I just increased my flow by pumping as much as I could and puttin her to the breast as much as possible!!

Im so full I just wish she would latch on :cry:

While your supply is increasing you should continue to top up her feeds and pump at the same time - if you have a friend, family member or partner to help this would be great as they can bottle feed while you express then as your supply increases you can feed the expressed milk instead of formula in the bottles and then eventually get LO back on the boob! Its hard work but it will pay off.

Her nursing really is the best way to increase your supply. Skin on skin contact is also really good. be sure to drink lots of water as well. Not really sure what else to advise hun. I really wish you the best of luck!!

Hi Rach,
It's very likely you will be able to fully BF your daughter again, as BF was well established before you tailed it off. I stopped 5 days after DD was born, and then started again after 8 1/2 weeks, so it can definitely be done.
Here is how I did it:

1. Put babe to the breast at every feed - if she will have it. If not, things might be more difficult but not impossible. Use breast compressions when she is no longer actively sucking/ swallowing. You do this by sort of pressing your breast against your chest wall quite hard - it gets the milk going and makes sure the breast is as fully drained as poss.

2. Give her some formula after each feed - but not as much as she would usually have. Try about half what she would usually have for a full feed.

3. express directly after doing this (Like PP said, it is good if someone else can bottle feed while you express) with a hospital grade pump. Very important that. Carry on even if there is nothing coming out, for about 10 mins minimum. You can rent them on a monthly basis from medela, for example. YOu can save any expressed milk for later top-ups although at first you will probably not get much - I was sometimes only getting around 10 mls after 15 mins expressing. but it will increase!

4 Gradually you should find that you can drop supplementation with formula for subsequent feeds - eg, one week you might be able to do the first two feeds totally BF, a few days later, the next feed as well, and so on....

5. I kept up the expressing after each and every feed (even during the night - this is when the milk-producing hormones are highest) for a while, then gradually tapered these off when my supply was more secure.

6. get your babe weighed on a regularish basis, more than anything just to reassure yourself that your boobs are working fine. To reassure you, my babe has gone from 9th centile on formula to 75th centile now on boob only.

7. You can buy feungreek tablets from Holland and barrett. I took three, three times each day. Re. the motilium, it is expensive to buy OTC and you might have a hard time convincing your local pharmacist that you have nausea that often, so see if your doc will prescribe it for you. Mine did, but then he is unusually sympathetic and helpful. It's sometimes hard to get drugs prescribed for purposes other than those they are licensed for....but if he or she will, it will save you a ton of money.

well, I hope I didn't go on for too long, I just want you to be happy and get going with the BF again. I know it was worth it for me, and I bet you will be the same. Best of luck.

The Kellymom website has useful information about rebuilding your supply, or relactating.
Lucy

Eating oats and pumping will also help to increase your supply xxx

fenugreek is a supplement that you can make into a tea or add to oatmeal to increase production.

I found a glass of guiness also helped with my production.
:hug:

Thanks guys :)

Unfortunately my supply didn't increase at all. I'd been going at itnearly 5 weeks now and i wasn't even getting enough milk to complete one feed :(

On Saturday me and Brooke had our last booby feed. I was going through mega engorgement last night and it hurt so bad i had to express a little off. Probably the worst thing i could have done but it was 3am and i was out of my mind with pain.

I hate feeding her with a bottle but it's just not happening. I wish i had the determination to keep going but Brooke wasn't settled. She woud be going days being so constipated then having the runs. She was as confused as me.

:cry:

Hi Rach,

You did really well to get as far as you did, and to care so much to try so hard to keep on going. Your baby will have got lots of important stuff from you. Whatever you do, don't feel guilty or beat yourself up, and don't let anyone else make you feel guilty. You deserve to enjoy your baby and feel relaxed, not under pressure: best of luck to you both.
Lucy

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->