TTC #2, not as easy as #1

smk4Lafs

Reaction score
In early 2011, my then boyfriend (now DH) and I decided I should come off of the pill "so it would be out of my system" by the time we got married in July and we would start trying right away. Well, after just 3 months off the pill, I conceived #1 (we found out I was pregnant 10 days before our wedding!!!) On Feb 29, 2012 (yes, leap day) I gave birth to a very healthy, bouncing, bubbly, 9lb 9oz baby boy.

As DH and his sister are only 14 months apart (and have always been very close to each other), we decided we wanted the same for our own children. Despite breast feeding, my period became regular when DS was just 3 months old (late May, early June 2012)... Thus, the TTC journey started. And it continued and continued and continued (to my disbelief and dismay).

We were finally able to get some help from an RE starting in March of 2013. His first words (after hearing my story of months of charting, temping, timing intercourse, cycles like clockwork, an AMAZING sperm analysis for DH) were "Your case confuses even me. There is no reason why you shouldn't be pregnant!" Not exactly what you want to hear the doc say, ya know?!?!

He scheduled an HSG and that showed both of my tubes blocked. I was devastated, depressed, and beating myself up over that news. I jumped at the first chance to have a laparoscopy to hopefully fix the issue... When he opened me up (this was early May), he found no blockages - in fact, he said everything "in there" looked perfect! Maybe the dye from the HSG cleared things up??? Maybe the HSG was wrong??? There is no way to know which of those occurred, and that's frustrating!

In June, I began my first cycle with Letrozole (femara), but had no such luck that month. We're trying the letrozole again this month and I took an HCG trigger shot (didn't do that in June). I'm currently 6 days past the trigger shot, 4 dpo and going crazy inside.

I desperately want THIS to be THE month! DH deploys in 7 weeks... If this isn't THE cycle, we have 2 more chances to do this "naturally" before he leaves If it doesn't happen before then, we're on to IUI's... And insurance doesn't cover those (nor IVF). Fingers crossed good ol' fashioned sex (with a little help from medicine) works!

Would love to hear your stories/experiences (good and bad) with letrozole/femara, trigger shots, IUI's...

I'm 18months in now and feeling totally hopeless xx

Another member of the sad and hopeless club checking in...I just had a lap in June and I was hoping I'd be one of those instant bfp success stories, so now I'm just crushed.

I start back on clomid next month and I'm so afraid it won't work. The surgery was our last ditch attempt and if that doesn't work we won't have any options since we can't afford IVF.

It's been especially hard because my brother and his wife just delivered a beautiful baby girl and my dad keeps gushing over her. I want to be happy for them but I am so sad for myself I can't bear to be around them.

I'm so grateful for my dd, but I never imagined that she would be the only child I'd ever have. I keep thinking about how happy I was pregnant with her and how much of a joy she is now and I get despondent when I think of how I may never be that happy again in my life. I also hate that my infertility is robbing me of the ability to be happy about the other good things in my life. When I'm out enjoying dd and taking her out to play dates and things, her other little friends have siblings so I'm constantly reminded of what I don't have.

I'm trying to get an appointment with a therapist to work through these issues, because after 20 months I'm at my breaking point.

17 months TTC # 2 here. Beginning to feel it might never happen but you just never know. Got to stay positive!! :hugs:

I'm 18months in now and feeling totally hopeless xx

OMG me too...just ended our 18th cycle & waiting on AF :(
We have unexplained infertility...secondary. We've been trying IUI's....waiting to do a followup with RE next month. We are also going to check out another fertility clinic for a second opinion. I don't get it....

Ladies, please get second opinions! I was unexplained secondary infertility for 10 years. Went through 4 re's before we found one that could figure out what was wrong. I ovulated regularly, clear tubes, perfect bloodwork, super-star sperm.....but still failed IUIs and IVF cycle. It turned out I had high nk cells. I think a lot of women assume this is in the genetic blood workup that an RE does, but it is not! It is a lot more common in women who already have a child. Your body basically kills off all 'invaders'...including sperm and embryos.

I believe I was tested but I'm going to recheck the lab work. Thanks!! So what do you do with elevated NK cells? I already have a second opinion lined up for September.

I believe I was tested but I'm going to recheck the lab work. Thanks!! So what do you do with elevated NK cells? I already have a second opinion lined up for September.

The nk cell test is done completely separate. There are only 2 labs in the US that do the test and you have to pay directly through the lab, so if you didn't do that, that, that probably wasn't the test that was done.

To get the nk cell levels down you have to go get an interlipid infusion the week before your IUI or ivf. You'll also have to take steroids and sometimes blood thinners. If you get a BFP, then you go back for at least one more infusion.

I just checked my files & I was tested. So I guess I'm fine or else they'd tell me I wasn't.

can i ask you what your numbers were when you got your NK results?

Sure.... 17.5, 12.3, 8.2, 16.0, 10.4, and 8.4.

What were yours?

Hrm it wasn't numbers like this. Actually the issue I'm facing is that my results sheet says its higher than normal but I dont recall my doctor saying anything about it or at least making a big deal of it. 27% is what I got...

Wow....anything above 8% is considered high! Some doctors don't believe that it is a 'real' issue. I think I would get a second opinion. Here is a good link about it:

https://suite101.com/article/natural-killer-cells-in-the-womb-lining-a208673

I am scheduled for a second opinion already. I'm really worried why she'd over look this.
I'm meeting with my RE on the 20th & will be grilling her on it.

It has been my experience that each RE has something that they really have an interest in. One RE was a big believer in bacterial issues. He thought most 'unexplained' cases were due to some sort of bacteria. The one I'm with now (SHER Institute) is a big believer in NK cells causing implantation dysfunction. I think Dr. Beers is another big name who treats NK cells also.

I know Dr. Sher does free phone/skype consultations. It might be worth talking to him in addition to the second opinion you have set up. Get all of the information and opinions you can and make a decision from there.

I'm curious to know how the second opinion goes....keep me updated! Good luck and fingers crossed for you!

best of luck to you to TTC #2. Its funny, people used to tell me I would have no problem TTC #2 after having #1. That after birth my body would just regulate itself back to normal.. not the case with me! I hope everything works out for you.

@popchick, thanks for all the info. Seems as you've done your research & done it well!
I want to check out my results & post the other numbers & see if it makes any sense to you. Is this OK?

I don't have any of the reasons in that article you sent me to have NK Cells. So perhaps based on a bunch of findings the RE thought it was a non-issue for me? It confuses me but I hope to have her answer soon. I also think I will ask to redo the tests. Those bloods were from nearly 2 years ago.

27.0%
NK Cells are Increased
Clinical Correlation is Recommended

There are 2 different types of NK cell tests. One for the number of cells and the other for the amount of activity. It sounds like you had the one done for the number. It's the other that you have to send off to the specialized lab to have the test done. They can test your blood with ivig and intralipids to see which treatment your nk cells react best to. Maybe that's what 'clinical correlation is recommended' means...they suggest having the secondary test?

really? a different test? I'll ask my RE this month.
Hrmmm.. so you don't know how to interpret my results ? Did you only have one of them done yourself?
GAH I can't find anything online either...booooooo!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->