TTC 45! Ovulating?

J

Jleanne

Hi Ladies,

I am writing this thread on behalf of my mum, who is 45 and trying to conceive. She has been trying to conceive with her new partner for nearly 3 years and so far has had no luck. However this is the first time she has done an ovulation test and according to the test she is ovulating.....does this mean that it could be something wrong with her partner. If your ovulating does that necessarily mean your fertile?
Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks for reading

Well its really hard to say with just one test. The test just identify the LH surge that is supposed to make you ovulate. It does not necessarily mean she is actually ovulating just that she is getting the surge. It is however a good sign.

I would say to do this for a few months to help with timing everything.

In the mean time she could do a few simple blood tests that will tell her for sure she is ovulating and if her progesterone levels are high enough. The first test you do 7 or 8 days after suspected ovulation. Sometimes this is called a day 21 test referring to cycle day 21. However, cycle day (CD) 21 may not really be the 8 days after ovulation you need. Thats why the test she took are handy.

When we are older most of us don't like waiting and trying because we feel like we are running out of time. So I suggest she try the CD 21 test and also CD3 test. The CD 3 test measures your FSH which is basically your egg reserve.

One other thing I suggest that you can start right away is temping. This will give you a lot of info about your cycle. Fertility Friend has a free app that will really help you do this and give you tons of info as well. There is a link to it in my signature.

Oh and sperm test for her partner are pretty easy to get done as well.

I agree with Milty, get a test for him and a blood progesterone test to see if ovulation has likely occurred.
You can get surges of LH and not ovulate.
Are your moms cycles regular? That can be a good sign.
I heard you can get at home tests for sperm now, not sure how good they are. I am going to pick up some, when back home in the US to try.
Also I would recommend to her, egg boosters, like CoQ10 and Royal Jelly.

Thankyou very much for your replies that's really helpful and I really appreciate it. The doctors have basically told my mum its hopeless at her age wich has obviosuly made her very sceptical on the matter. Yes she has regular normal periods as she has always had always on time and lasting the same amount of time. However she does recall a few periods where they have been particularly heavy with abdominal pain, I'm wondering if this means she has perhaps gotten pregnant and has an early missed miscarriage. I really feel for her as although she has had both me and my sister it was in a very unsupportive and unhappy marriage to my dad. Her new partner has no children of his own so ovbiiously this is putting significant pressure on them. I really hope there's aometibg that can be done as she deserves a little bit of happiness. Another thing we have thought of if it comes to the point that she isn't able to have a baby with her own eggs is if I were to give her one of mine.....but would her age go against her in carrying a baby also?

She needs a new doc because that's just silly to say when you've had no testing.

Granted its not possible for everyone but the fact she has regular periods and is getting positive OPKS is very good. Infact you haven't given me any reason why she wouldn't be able to

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->