TTC after the depo shot, help?!

Nicole_93

Reaction score
My fiancé and I have been talking about having a baby recently so we have decided to get off the shot. July 29th was my last injection so the end of this month (September/October), it should be coming out of my system. I have already started taking prenatal vitamins and I am ordering angus cactus this week. I'm wondering if any of you ladies have any experience with coming off the depo shot. Any positive stories, or even bad. Just wanting some advice and to hear some of your stories to get an idea. I've been reading online and all I can find is horror stories about it taking years to conceive or never. There are some good ones out there, but not many. I have heard so many women say coming off can be horrible; bleeding, mood swings, depressed, tired all the time, etc. I have a lot of the side effects from being on it for the last three years, some of which didn't even show up until a few months ago. Or atlesst I never realized them until now. Any help or experience stories will be grately appreciated! Thank you so much :hugs:

Hi, I'm not sure whether my experience is good or bad!!

I used depo for a few years before deciding to TTC #1. I had my last jab around July 2008, so it ran out around October 2008. I planned to start TTC straight away. I didn't get my cycle back (so wasn't ovulating) for a whole year :nope: When my AF returned around October 2009, I bled loads the first month or so, like a week on and a week off. It gradually calmed down but took 2-3 months to regulate. I then conceived in February 2010, which was only about 3/4 months after I got AF back.

I don't think the timeframe I had is unusual, but I have seen people getting their fertility back more quickly. My body does seem to take the longest time to recover from things (breastfeeding, etc).

Thank you so much everythingXd, I appreicate you taking the time and telling me your story. I think I'm more scared of is the coming off the shot. I know I'll become pregnant when the time is ready(even though I wish to become very soon) but I'm just hoping I don't have to many issues while this poison comes out of my system. I'm so glad to hear you have conceived. There's so many women out there that have me terrified about never becoming pregant afterwards. More horror stories out there than positive ones. Thank you dear for replying :D

Ah try not to worry, I'm sure it doesn't cause infertility. It just can take a year or so to get back to normal but if you're not in a particular hurry you should be fine.

I can't remember too much about mood swings etc. I'm sure though that I was much more 'emotional' when pregnant than at any other time so withdrawal from depo couldn't have been that bad. I just know I bled a lot when my periods did return after a year. I can't remember them being particularly painful or anything either.

Do you remember if you had any minor side-effects while on the shot? Like weight gain, headaches, tired all the time, loss of sex drive, etc? I Had almost every single one and some took a few years to appear or atleast until I really noticed them. No matter what, I'm staying strong and optimistic! I think Dr. Google is making me more scared than anything.

I just wish doctors would tell you everything before they just give you this. Maybe they do but mine, oh no! He didn't give me any information, pamphlet, side-effects, how long it takes to become fertile again, and that you are supposed to take Calcium supplements either. I go to test tested for bone loss next week because they think I may have some. I just wish he would of told me, I shouldn't have to research any medication online. You should be able to rely on your doctor and his knowledge. Makes me sick. I'm only 22, I should have a healthy body and strong bones. This shot has done my body a lot of harm, but fingers crossed, my body will return to normal. :D

That's the first I'd heard about needing calcium / bone loss :shrug: I agree the information about this drug is poor. I knew I wanted to TTC at a specific time and would have come off this stuff at least 9 months before that if they had told me it could prevent ovulation for a year or so. I don't think they should prescribe it at all to anyone that is considering having a family in the future.

I don't think I had side effects while I was on it, other than horrific mood swings when each shot was nearly due. I bled a lot for the first 3 months rather than it stopping my periods, but they did stop all together after about 6 months. I definitely didn't have weight issues or headaches.

Do you remember if you had any minor side-effects while on the shot? Like weight gain, headaches, tired all the time, loss of sex drive, etc? I Had almost every single one and some took a few years to appear or atleast until I really noticed them. No matter what, I'm staying strong and optimistic! I think Dr. Google is making me more scared than anything.

I just wish doctors would tell you everything before they just give you this. Maybe they do but mine, oh no! He didn't give me any information, pamphlet, side-effects, how long it takes to become fertile again, and that you are supposed to take Calcium supplements either. I go to test tested for bone loss next week because they think I may have some. I just wish he would of told me, I shouldn't have to research any medication online. You should be able to rely on your doctor and his knowledge. Makes me sick. I'm only 22, I should have a healthy body and strong bones. This shot has done my body a lot of harm, but fingers crossed, my body will return to normal. :D

hi! whenever I had my daughter my dr. asked me if I wanted a depo shot. and back then I didn't even know what it was or anything about it so I said sure, and then when it was time for my next one I went ahead and got it, but the one after that I never did go back and get, it messed with me, I didn't have a period for almost 6 months, and I finally went back to dr and he gave me the pill bc. and I started my period(and they have been normal since) almost immediately after taking them( like after 2 days) so then I didn't take them any more considering I wanted to start ttc again soon, Me and hubby have been ttc #2 for almost 2 years now and I think it may be because of the shot. but I have no evidence or proof as to if it is or not. just thought I would share my experience with the shot. I wont ever be getting it again tho!

Hello! I was on depo for a good few years. I came off it for a break when I was thirty and I think it took about 6 months for my period to come back and then I switched to bc.... so I didn't try and ttc off the back off it.

I don't remember any of the side effects other than having to watch my weight when on it and it was annoying waiting for my cycles to come back.

You'd have to double check this, but from what I can remember most people are covered for more than 12 weeks with the injection - I think that's the time frame to be on the safe side between jabs so you don't get pregnant if you see what I mean? So I think that's why it can take a while to come out of your system.

Could you ask your Dr to give you anything to kick start your cycles again? xx

I did depo from October 2012 to October 2014. Knew we wanted to start TTC the next year so wanted the year to get back to normal. I had stopped getting periods after three months of my first shot, and got my period back three months after my last shot. Did a year of Yasmine birth control pills until this September, had my period every month.

Since coming off all birth control, I ovulated the first month at CD15, confirmed by OPK, CM and biphasic bbt temps.

I know some people say terrible things about depo, but it really didn't have any long term effects on me. I had about ten pounds of weight gain in the two years I was on it, but I was also drinking more and was way less stressed (I don't eat when stressed).

Everyone is different, but I know for me it didn't affect my fertility since ovulation came right back. Any fertility issues are genetic or circumstantial.

Thank you guys so much! Everyone's stories are so different. I think everyone's reaction is different but some are scary similar. I think searching on Google is making me more worried, so that's why I came here. Thank you again :D

Sorry for Tmi post but it's been over a years since I've seen any form of AF and well, today she showed herself. It is brownish though, is this normal? My shot doesn't start wearing off for another 2 weeks, so I wasn't excepting that. Maybe things are speeding up for me since I'm taking prenatas now. J heard they help start your cycles, I've only been taking then for 2 weeks. Fingers crossed!

That's the first I'd heard about needing calcium / bone loss :shrug: I agree the information about this drug is poor. I knew I wanted to TTC at a specific time and would have come off this stuff at least 9 months before that if they had told me it could prevent ovulation for a year or so. I don't think they should prescribe it at all to anyone that is considering having a family in the future.

I don't think I had side effects while I was on it, other than horrific mood swings when each shot was nearly due. I bled a lot for the first 3 months rather than it stopping my periods, but they did stop all together after about 6 months. I definitely didn't have weight issues or headaches.

Yea, I didnt know about it until I started searching "TTC" and "TTC aftet depo" popped up and I started connecting all the dots and my side effects. I'm super glad you had a good experience with not having any side effects, they are the worst!

That's great that you've got AF already! Yes, from what I remember my first one was very brown. I guess it's old blood because Depo stops your lining building up? I didn't know that pre nats help get your cycles back on track, where did you hear that? xx

We'll I'm happy to know this may be a real AF instead of withdrawal bleeding. I shouldn't of had a withdrawal bleed until the beginning of November anyways so I'm pretty sure it's the real deal, which is great news! Hehe :D I read about the prenatals on a few forums. Those and angus cactus help. I'm pretty sure it did its job either way because I had not had any type of AF, sporting, nothing for about 1 1/2 except one time 9 months ago I had a light spot for one day. I heard its the folic acid that's in them that helps kick start and helps make you more fertile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->