TTC buddies turned Mommies thread!

Yeah, I'm feeding Poppy less but more often to make sure she's getting enough and keeping it down. She's refusing her whole bottles at the moment so this just makes more sense, and it's not like I can't top her up if she needs more straight away.

I don't know if I said, but I had been offered an interview next Thursday. It was at a school about 30 minutes away. It was for a class teacher with management, which is what I do now, and was full time. I accepted the interview, but the more I thought about it, the more I felt I didn't want the job if I were to get it. I just thought it was too far to go, and that I wouldn't get to see Poppy enough when there are other jobs going that are closer (although I haven't yet applied, so there's no guarantee of an interview at any of them). I think if I'd felt it were the right job for me, the distance wouldn't have mattered and we could have maybe moved to the area next year.

So, I just emailed the school and cancelled the interview, and the head responded saying she was disappointed cos I was a really strong candidate.

Now I don't know if I've been really stupid, cos if I'd got it, it would have meant financially we wouldn't have to worry, whereas now we're kind of in limbo again. I know that it wasn't certain I would have got the job, but I'm worrying now.

I guess it's cos it's still the Easter holidays, so I can't go and look around any schools until next week or submit any applications until I've seen them. I hope that next week I'll feel a bit more positive about it all. Also new jobs are advertised on Tuesday so hopefully there might be some more to go for that are closer to home or even part time.

I know with a child your priorities change anyway, but when they're under the weather (even with just a cold) you want to be close to them.

Honey, often your gut instinct is the right way to go. Honestly, 30 minutes away is quite a drive in my opinion. I only live about 10 minutes from where I work. Bonnie's day care is 10 minutes away too.

What does your DH think about it? And, I thought you guys already had a job? Guess I'm confused. But that happens a lot lol.

I'm still employed by the school I was with when I went on maternity leave until the end of August, but I handed in my notice about a month ago.

We moved away from where we were when I was 36 weeks pregnant to be closer to my family, so my job is now 200 miles away! Lol

Sam thinks I should do what I think is right, and deep down I know I've done the right thing, it's just scary, cos I've never handed in my notice without a new job to go to. He still has his job, as he just relocated with the company he was with over in Essex, but he doesn't earn as much as me, so I will definitely need to get a job.

I'm going to phone round the 4 schools that have jobs advertised on Monday and arrange to go and see them hopefully next week. One has a closing date on Thursday, interviews on the 26th of this month, and is only 5 minutes away. The other 3 are all only about 5-10 minutes away as well. Then the new vacancies will be advertised on Tuesday, so there may be a few more I can go for as well.

I'm just hoping that if this head teacher thought I was a strong candidate then another one will think the same.

Hey all (I'm trying to come on here more often :) as love our chats :)

Sorry to hear Poppy isn't well. It's horrible when they have colds. I find saline spray the best thing thou. It's horrible spraying it. James hates it he shakes his head about not wanting it so normally it takes 2 of us one to hold him still and one to spray. I feel mean but it really works wonders to clear a stuffy nose.

James has also been waking up randomly in the night lately. He is teething thou... But normally a cuddle settles him down again. I'm tired out thou as I'm back at work now too part time but I really do love every minute of being a Mummy. You really don't know how amazing it is until you become one. I can't get over what people are missing who don't have children, I feel very lucky and blessed :)

Sideways that's so exciting you are wtt. I'd love more but we are going to wait I think a good 2-3 years. I am however seriously considering a change of career path atm as I'd love to work with children but it would be years of training and probably a pay cut for a good while so I'm in decided as yet.

Can anyone remind me how to add pics to my signature/aviator - I can't remember how to do it! Would love to show you my little man.

How much are all your little ones weighing now?

If you go to your user cp thing on the dark purple bar at the top of the page it takes you to a page where you can change your avatar. That's the only one I've used, so not sure about adding pictures to your signature as I've never done it, but the link is probably there as well.

Poppy was 13lb 2oz a month ago. We have to go and get her weighed on Tuesday, so I'll have to report back what she is (as long as the queue isn't stupidly long!). Hopefully she'll be over 14lbs, and back on track with her weight gain.

We're going to wait 2 years before trying again. It will give us a chance to save some money, and I will take a year off to spend with the new baby and Poppy before she starts school. It's weird cos I've already had 5 and a half months off, and Poppy will be 9 months when I go back to work, it just seems so strange to have been off for so long.

Can't believe James is practically 9 months already, that's gone so fast!

Xx

Hi turtle! Bonnie is now weighing 16 lbs, but that was 2 weeks ago at her checkup, so she's probably all over 17 now. :)

Hey everyone!

We went to look around a nursery today for Poppy for September when I go back to work (if I can get a job). I didn't like it. I will admit I didn't go with the most positive of attitudes as I'd rather not have to put her in a nursery at all, but as it'll only be a day and a half a week, I need to get over my issues! lol

I thought the rooms were dingy, and not very bright. They had up displays like I would have in my classroom, mainly with photos of what the children had been doing. They didn't really have bright, colourful, stimulating displays or anything of interest on the walls. I can see how photos are great when showing prospective parents around, but it's not about that, as we could see what the children were up to. I would have thought it was more important to have up things for the children. My classrooms have been brighter and more interesting than their rooms.

I wonder if I'm viewing it through a teacher's eyes (and being overly critical), but if I don't want Poppy to have to go to nursery anyway, then I need to be completely happy in my choice of where she goes. I think I need to walk in somewhere and be wow-ed, but I don't think that's too much to ask when choosing something like this.

Also, this may just be me, but in the room with the under 18 monthers, the assistant was painting with them, and then she kissed one of them. I just thought that was a bit inappropriate. Fair enough it was a peck on the forehead, but it's not something I expected to see and wouldn't really want strangers kissing Poppy. I'm probably over reacting to it, but still, it put me off even more.

We have another to see tomorrow, so I'm hoping to come out with a more positive view.

I'm also looking round a school tomorrow that's only about 10 minutes away. They want someone to teach in year 6 and lead English in the school, both of which I've done previously, so I'm hoping to get an interview with them if I like it enough to apply.

We got Poppy a jumparoo the other day. It's sooooo much fun. She bounces around, and is so intrigued by the lights and dangly animals. She didn't know what to do at first having never had to use her feet on the floor before, but after a while she was really going for it.

Hopefully we'll get her weighed tomorrow, but with the nursery visit and the school, we might not make it in time. I'm sure she's put on a fair bit of weight, she's definitely a lot heavier to carry.

Hope everyone's doing ok! Xx

Hi hon. You have a gut feeling for a reason. USE IT. If you were uncomfortable with that place (doesn't sound like fun to me, either), then don't go there.

How cute that Poppy's bouncing around in her jumperoo!! Bonnie loves hers, too. Sometimes I swear she's going to jump out of it LOL!!

Good luck with your job hunt. Refresh my memory -- what age group do you teach?

The past 2 years I've been with the 10/11 year olds, and that's the age of this job tomorrow, so really hoping I like the school as I really enjoy teaching that age group.

I'd teach any age from 7 years though, but the older ones are a bit easier as they're less needy. When I've taught lower down the school, you tend to end up with a snake of children behind you waiting to ask questions, or they're poking and prodding your arms to get your attention! lol

aww lol. Good on you that you have so much patience! You'll be a great mother as a result :)

So at that age, do you teach all subjects? Or are they going to different teachers for different subjects yet (we called it swapping classes)

I teach everything, but somethings like music and French you can get someone else to do when you get your time off for planning and marking. I always choose those 2 cos they're my least favourite, not to mention the fact that I can't really speak French. But I trained as an English teacher for secondary schools (so 11 to 18) but hated it, so made the move into primary, and I couldn't be happier.

That's why I'd really like this job, cos it's a fairly large school and so to lead English across the school would be a real challenge and I'd love it (I hope).

We're off out now, first to see the nursery then to the school, so I'll have to let you know how it went when we get back. Xx

Good luck, let us know what you think about the nursery.

Since you teach English I guess I better make sure I don't have any comma splices or misplaced apostrophes in my posts, huh?? lol

Good luck, let us know what you think about the nursery.

Since you teach English I guess I better make sure I don't have any comma splices or misplaced apostrophes in my posts, huh?? lol

Lol, I'll be looking out for them now!

Well, I didn't like this nursery either. It was better than the other one but it still didn't wow me. Sam preferred it and said he thought it'd be ok, but I'm not convinced. It didn't help that when we read the paperwork it says they can only have 3 weeks holiday a year!!! I know for most people that's their limit, but I get 12 weeks and I wouldn't have her in there whilst I was off work. Sam has phoned them but he said he doesn't sound hopeful as they've said they have other parents as teachers who don't just do term time and that would be an extra space for someone else.

I know there are nurseries that do term time, and I can't imagine anyone who has more than 3 weeks holiday would want their child in nursery when they don't have to be.

They're going to phone us on Friday, but I've already made up my mind. I've found another one that I'm going to phone tomorrow. I never realised how hard this would be!

Maybe you can sort some things out with them. The daycare that Bonnie goes to has been really accommodating with us as far as payments and stuff. She only has to go a couple times a week, and some weeks she won't have to go at all. So instead of paying on a week-to-week basis, we just wait until we have 10 visits in, then pay. The 10 visits could be used up in 2 weeks, or in 2 months, doesn't matter. Very flexible. But we had to sit down and tell them of our situation first, and negotiate. Maybe that's all you'd have to do.

Bonnie is coming up on 7 months now. I cannot believe it. She's not trying to move around on her own yet. She doesn't appear to have any desire to crawl. I've even tried to help her out (frustrate her?? lol) by putting her on her belly and then putting a toy just out of her reach on the floor to see if it would motivate her. Nah. I've tried helping her understand that she's gotta actually bend her legs at the knees to go anywhere. Nah. She's just my little diva. Would rather be waited on than work for what she wants :haha:

Hey everyone!

Had Poppy weighed today (at last! lol) and she's 14lb 14oz which is great. She's back on the 50th centile line and doing really well. It must be down to all the milk she's been drinking these past couple of weeks, so I'm really happy.

We just got back from seeing another nursery and I think it's the one we'll be putting her in. From the moment we walked in the staff were so lovely and friendly. They all made an effort to talk to Poppy and made her feel really welcome and special. The children were all happy and content in their activities, and whilst the toys weren't the most modern and had obviously been well used and loved, the bright, colourful displays and children's art work on show was fab to see.

They also have a great outdoor area and a small forest part too where the pre-schoolers can toast marshmallows (also teaching them about fire safety!)

It's amazing the difference it makes to walk in somewhere and immediately realise that it's the place you want your child to go, and I really never thought I'd find that.

Now we just have to give them a call tomorrow to check we can get one of the term time places, and then we can register her. Yay

yay! That's great Sazra!

Aaaannnndd, CONGRATS to Sideways!!!!!!!! :wohoo:

:happydance:Oh WOW!

Just had a nosey at your journal Sideways! Congratulations, that's so exciting. :happydance:

We're not going to be trying until next December, but I will admit that that news made me feel very broody again!

Look after yourself and I hope you start to feel better soon. Xx

MissSazra that's wonderful you found a good daycare! It's not easy being a mom and having to work that extra bit trying to find the absolute best for your child. All places should be the best! Sadly it's not like that.

Yeah... SURPRISE to me! BIG surprise. I am the poster child for "it only takes one time" to get pregnant. DH and I had been using condoms and the ONE time I told him not to worry about it (you know, because I'm not ovulating :wacko:).....:dohh:

Just a quick update from me: I have an interview for the job I wanted on Tuesday. Trying to get ready for it now, and want to make sure I get it right so am planning, changing planning and re-planning.

I have to do a 20 minute lesson with 8 children on an English topic of my choice, give a 10 minute presentation on how I would develop English within the school, meet with the school council and then have the interview!

So excited, but nervous as well, cos I really want this job, so don't want to mess it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->