TTC on Fluoxetine/other SSRIs?

BebVern

3 MC, on a break (TTC #1)
Reaction score
Hi ladies :flower:

I was just wondering if anyone has any experiences/information about TTC whilst on medication they could share with me, specifically Fluoxetine and other SSRIs.

I have heard conflicting stories; my GP has previously said that he'd prefer me to come off but I really wouldn't feel comfortable with that. I am very unstable off medication; at least I was last time I was med-free.

Has anyone continued taking SSRIs during TTC/pregnancy? Have you experienced plus/negative points of doing so? I'm so confused :shrug:

I am seeing my doctor on Monday and want to have some relatively sound evidence to help me make a decision before discussing options with my GP. I've trawled Google and it hasn't made anything any clearer! Argh!

Thank you in advance :thumbup:

Hey!

I've posted before on this, and the general view is it's dependent on how you feel off it. If you think the benefits outweigh the risks, then go ahead. My Dr said the same as they told you. Generally speaking there is no concrete proof that SSRI's are dangerous x

Hi there. I don't know the particulars about your SSRI. I know that some are considered more safe than others so if yours isn't you could switch to one that has been tested a little for use during pregnancy. I take Lexapro and have for a very long time. Coming off of it is not really a valid option for me. I took Lexapro through my entire first pregnancy and I have a healthy, active, smart, happy 3 year old. I am ttc again and have no plans to come off my medication.

Thanks for the replies! From what I've seen online Fluoxetine (Prozac) is one of the safest options, but if that were the case, why would I be advised to come off it?

I'll speak to my GP on Monday and see what he says about staying on it. I know they'd prefer you not to be on ANY medication whilst TTC but this isn't a perfect world :/

xx

oh right! I forgot that was the generic for prozac. Yes, that is considered a safe one to be on. You are right, this isn't a perfect world. If it were, none of us would need to be on SSRIs to begin with. I struggled for a long time with the idea of needing to be on medication but when it comes right down to it... I just need it. I'm a very successful, educated woman with a happy marriage and a beautiful toddler. Unfortunately I also happen to have a chemical imbalance. I always believed that being pregnant on an SSRI was far better than being pregnant while unstable emotionally and physically.

Most doctors can't exactly support being on an SSRI while pregnant because there is no research to suggest that it is safe. A big reason for this is that SSRIs haven't been widely used for very long. I always suggest to people to ask their doctors not just for an opinion but also for the actual medical facts behind any question that you ask. I suspect your doctor will say that he doesn't know that it is dangerous, he just doesn't know that it is safe.

check out this website that talks about the FDA opinion of prozac/pregnancy:
https://safefetus.com/search.php/index/details/DrugId/1062/TradeName/Prozac/TradeId/2928

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->